Newcomer to the Jets - what do I need to know?

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
Evening all. I would say 'good evening', but after watching the Nashville game I'd think twice about that.

As you can see from the thread title and probably my post history, I'm pretty much a newcomer to the world of HFboards and that of the Winnipeg Jets - I did express interest in them back when they came into being in 2011 but, like a few times before with the wonderful sport of hockey, my interest waned somewhat. In my recent 'rediscovery' of the sport and subsequent attempts to choose a team to latch onto, however, the Jets came out on top.

Problem is, I know very little about them. I could fathom a few things from the afore-mentioned game (Kane is a decent player with a great name, Byfuglien looks strong and swift) and can scrape a wee bit of knowledge about them from Wikipedia and whatnot, but that's about it

Any chance of a lesson (be it brief or extensive) from you good people on this fine team, the players, etc? Cheers in advance.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Being a Jets fan is not for the faint of heart. The highs are high and the lows are low and frequent.

They are a young team whose best years are ahead of them (clearly).

Kane is a young forward who is strong and successful on the whole, but he's also cocky and not always the best team player. Byfuglien is a unique player who plays a risky game that sometimes pays off and sometimes doesn't. The team has a defence that is unusually strong at offence and its success tends to come from being able to mount a very strong offence, when things are going well, thanks to the offensive skill of Byfuglien, Enstrom and even Clitsome and Bogosian (Postma, a marginal player, also has a great shot for a defenceman). The flip side of that is that the defence is not the best at defending, which can lead to a lot of chances for the other team sometimes. Their top line is made up (usually) of Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler, each of whom at his best is a very good but not spectacular player by overall NHL first-line standards. They have two recent draft selections -- Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba -- who have shown huge promise (the first on offence and the second on defence) and are both playing a full NHL season for the first time. Trouba has been very strong but was injured in the last game and is now out for a month while Scheifele is playing everyday but hasn't yet caught fire in the NHL game. Their goaltender is Ondrej Pavelec, a Czech who plays a very acrobatic and improvisational style that often results in spectacular saves but sometimes also results in bad goals being scored. In reality he is very good but the statistics don't always back that up and he is therefore a bit of a lightning rod for the frustrations of some fans.

The coach is Claude Noel who in his mid-50s has been given an NHL head coaching job for the first time and is very personable and forthright in his comments to the press. Some fans consider him to be less than NHL calibre, however, so he is also a somewhat controversial part of the team.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The Key Players

Andrew Ladd - "third line" winger is the common joke but he's actually pretty good. Captain and two time Stanley Cup champion he's a gritty two-way forward who is in consideration to make team Canada at the Olympics in 2014 but he's having a slow start so I doubt he makes a staked Canadian team. Plays LW and most people love him.

Blake Wheeler - Our top option at RW, he's a big guy that is quite fast. More of a play maker than a goal scorer, he sometimes needs to shoot more. Has a tendency to start slow and can be inconsistent. Just resigned in the off-season for 5 more years after this one. Might have consideration for team USA at the Olympics, but his slow start ain't helping him.

Byran Little - Our top center, he's a underrated two way forward. Plays quite well defensively and is a good faceoff guy. More of a playmaker than a shooter, he's probably the best play maker on the Jets, at least imo.

Evander Kane - Cash money man. Bit of a controversial character, but kind of feel the media and fans blow things out of proportion. A young 22 year old power-forward, Kane is one of the better Jets forward. He's a LW as well. He's really fast and physical, and likes to shoot whenever he gets the puck. Power forwards are quite rare and valued in hockey so he has quite a bit of value league wide.

Mark Scheifele - The Organizations first ever draft pick, picked 7th overall in the 2010 draft. Has been a dominant prospect in juniors and is in his rookie NHL season. Most of us have pretty high hopes for him, as the Jets are weak at center. He's a highely talented big center, with a hopefully great offensive game. He's started a bit slow, but he's had some good nights. He'll be a big story line going forward for sure.

Devin Setoguchi/Michael Frolik - Last season we were really bad at RW so we got these two guys in offseason for some draft picks. Frolik I think is the dime, as he is under contract for longer and is a good two way player. Setoguchi was heralded as a top 6 RW, but he hasn't really looked like it. Has been called streaky in the past, and I can definitely see why. He's a free agent in the offseason so we'll see what the Jets do with him.

Olli Jokinen - An experienced center that we signed two years ago, best years are well behind him and last year he was terrible. Like straight not good at all. He also played the whole year pretty much beside Kane which was terrible. Has been playing mostly third line center this year and hasnt looked nearly as bas but in tonights game Noel put him with Kane again so lets hope that doesn't keep up going forward.

Then on defence we got

Dustin Byfuglien- Our #1 Dman, you'll hear his name a lot. He's a very talented, very big guy that has a lot of offensive potential. One of the highest scoring defensemen in the league the past couple seasons, he's really good. He's been criticized for bad defensive zone play but I feel that's a bit overblown. He does have a tendency to jump into the play and that can lead to off man rushes back. I think he'll make Team USA at the Olympics, but it's on the bubble right now. If he keeps playing as he has been he'll make it.

Zach Bogosian - a young 23 year old defensemen, Bogosian can skate quite well, has good physical play and is good offensively, he can pretty much do it all. Last season he was really good and people were calling him our best defensemen. He's been not as good to start this year, but we'll see if he can bounce back as the season is early. He's also a consideration for Team USA at the Olympics

Tobias Enstrom - He's small and not physical so people really underrate him. He's quite good defensively and offensively, but he's been injured a lot since the team can here, so some call him injury prone. Puts up a lot of points and is a smooth puck mover with nice passes. Relies more on his stick defensively cause he's small at 5'10. He'll be in consideration for team Sweden at the Olympics.

Jacob Trouba - All aboard the Jacob Trouba hype train this kid is good. Drafted 9th overall in 2012, in retrospect that would change and he would go higher. He's a dynamite prospect that was having a great rookie campaign to start the season before going down to injury. At 19 he can do it all, skate, hit, pass, and play both ends of the ice. He's only played 8 NHL games but he has dominated at every level he has played at except for the World Championship, where he played good but not great. He should be back in about a month.

Then there's Pavelec, our goalie. Lots of people love him lots of people hate him some think he's good some think he's not good. He's definitely inconsistent, he'll play good for periods, then have times where he lets in a lot of soft goals. He's our undisputed starter in net right now and under contract for a few more years so he'll probably he around for awhile, much to the chagrin of a lot of posters here.

The main theme of the team is inconsistancy. Some nights they play good some nights they play bad. Right now their playing pretty bad and were at a bit of a key period in the team, as something is going to change soon. This team has historically finished outside the playoffs, and haven't made it since they've been in Winnipeg. If they keep playing bad, something will change, as this town has playoff expectations. The likely scenario would involve the important management staff, who are Claude Noel and Kevin Chevaldayoff.

Noel is the head coach the Chevy is the general manager. Noel's on the hot seat and if he can't get this team into the playoffs, he's likely to be fired and Chevaldayoff will bring in a new coach. Another possibility is a player trade, to shake the team up.

Hope that helps with the basics, there are some other players, but there not really that important to the team in the long run. I started to put less effort in at the end, so if you have any questions just ask.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Everything seems to be covered. It's one huge roller coaster being a fan of this team, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Welcome on board! Hopefully you make it to a game here one day!

bazaaa*

When we win, everyone loves the whole team.
When we lose, everyone is terrible.

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
Being a Jets fan is not for the faint of heart. The highs are high and the lows are low and frequent...

The Key Players...
That is as comprehensive a look at the team as I could have hoped for! Many thanks!

Everything seems to be covered. It's one huge roller coaster being a fan of this team, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Welcome on board! Hopefully you make it to a game here one day!
One of the things that hooked me was the videos of the atmosphere at the annoucement of both True North buying the team and the announcement of the name at the draft - I do hope that one day I'll be a Jets diehard and I'll be contributing to that atmosphere at the MTS. It's definitely on the list along with Foxboro for an NE Patriots game and Perth, Australia for a Fremantle Dockers Aussie Rules game.

When we win, everyone loves the whole team.
When we lose, everyone is terrible.
So much like my football (or soccer) team then. Except we also have ties so there's usually a bit of backlash to that as well.

Certainly seems like I've let myself in for one hell of a ride choosing the Jets. I say bring it!

Anything else you can let me know - rivals, greats of the past (for those who remember the old Jets), whatever else you can throw at me - would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for the welcome - didn't really expect much of a response to be honest!

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Learn the name Anthony Peluso.
He's a god. If anyone tells you otherwise they're a Leaf fan here to brainwash you.

Also, happy to have you as a Jets fan!!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Don't get too attached to coach Claude Noel.

Do get very attached to Jacob Trouba...

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
James Wright is the communal whipping boy, so if you have a complaint but you're not sure who to blame, he's the guy. :sarcasm: Other than that, don't visit the GDTs when we're losing unless unrelenting misery is your thing. ;)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Few things to be a Jets fan on these boards

1. After every loss you must make 1 post about firing the coach

2. After every win you if you made the post above then you don't post in the win PST thread

3. You must make an obligatory post about "Burmi" and you must refer to him as our only hope ala Luke Skywalker

4. You must make a post on Pavlec about how bad he is. But if he stands on his head suggest he was just "lucky".

5. Post something about Corsi

6. Suggest Kane was out on the town last night and didn't pay his bill and you "Know" someone who saw him

7. Call someone in the org "AHL" like Chevy is an "AHL" GM or Noel is an "AHL" Coach.

8. Suggest a trade that no one in their right mind will make like "Burmi" for Stamkos.

9. In an OT thread post that "Downtown Winnipeg is dangerous".

10. Make a thread about bringing back Selanne

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Also worth noting if we lose a game 95% of the time it's because Ron Hainsey didn't score the 6 goals he promised during his lockout negotiations :D

This current team was from Atlanta Georgia in the USA and relocated to Winnipeg in 2011-12. The original Winnipeg Jets from the 1995-96 season franchise is currently located in Phoenix Arizona, known as the Phoenix Coyotes and carry all our old records.

Personally, while the NHL acknowledges Phoenix holding our records, I feel since they were broken here, they belong to our city. Teemu Selanne broke the NHL's rookie record by scoring 76 goals in 92-93 season, this record remains intact as of today. He broke this record while playing here in Winnipeg.

Selanne is one of the Winnipeg favorites of old.

For the current team Flying High summed it up nicely. I would also agree not to get to attached to Claude Noel as he likely won't be around much longer should the team continue the way they are.

GO :jets GO

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

2. After every win you if you made the post above then you don't post in the win PST thread

3. You must make an obligatory post about "Burmi" and you must refer to him as our only hope ala Luke Skywalker

4. You must make a post on Pavlec about how bad he is. But if he stands on his head suggest he was just "lucky".

6. Suggest Kane was out on the town last night and didn't pay his bill and you "Know" someone who saw him

7. Call someone in the org "AHL" like Chevy is an "AHL" GM or Noel is an "AHL" Coach.

8. Suggest a trade that no one in their right mind will make like "Burmi" for Stamkos.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Ok this post just made my morning. Very well done!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

you forgot the quarterly thread to "bring back Keilback!" :handclap:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Haha so true

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
Learn the name Anthony Peluso.
He's a god. If anyone tells you otherwise they're a Leaf fan here to brainwash you.

Also, happy to have you as a Jets fan!!

Don't get too attached to coach Claude Noel.

Do get very attached to Jacob Trouba...

James Wright is the communal whipping boy, so if you have a complaint but you're not sure who to blame, he's the guy. :sarcasm: Other than that, don't visit the GDTs when we're losing unless unrelenting misery is your thing. ;)

Comprehensive and pretty funny as well. Will keep it in mind. Though Downtown WPG is probably a cakewalk compared to Glasgow on a Saturday night. :naughty:

Also worth noting if we lose a game 95% of the time it's because Ron Hainsey didn't score the 6 goals he promised during his lockout negotiations :D

This current team was from Atlanta Georgia in the USA and relocated to Winnipeg in 2011-12. The original Winnipeg Jets from the 1995-96 season franchise is currently located in Phoenix Arizona, known as the Phoenix Coyotes and carry all our old records.

Personally, while the NHL acknowledges Phoenix holding our records, I feel since they were broken here, they belong to our city. Teemu Selanne broke the NHL's rookie record by scoring 76 goals in 92-93 season, this record remains intact as of today. He broke this record while playing here in Winnipeg.

Selanne is one of the Winnipeg favorites of old.

For the current team Flying High summed it up nicely. I would also agree not to get to attached to Claude Noel as he likely won't be around much longer should the team continue the way they are.

GO :jets GO
The franchise history thing is a bit of a minefield I suppose - there have been a few cases on this side of the pond where it has been an issue. Won't wade in on it at this early point in my 'career' as a fan.

Nevertheless, have the current Jets honoured Selanne in any way or would that only further muddy the waters with Phoenix and the NHL?

RonJon

May 18, 2011

How on Gods green earth could you forget to mention "The Parade" :laugh: well done sir

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Comprehensive and pretty funny as well. Will keep it in mind. Though Downtown WPG is probably a cakewalk compared to Glasgow on a Saturday night. :naughty:

The franchise history thing is a bit of a minefield I suppose - there have been a few cases on this side of the pond where it has been an issue. Won't wade in on it at this early point in my 'career' as a fan.

Nevertheless, have the current Jets honoured Selanne in any way or would that only further muddy the waters with Phoenix and the NHL?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Newcomer to the Jets - what do I need to know?

That life might be better if we had stayed in the Eastern Conference ... :dunno:

Ha ha, that reminds me, have you noticed that, in this "big, bad, tight-checking" Western conference, it seems like it is the teams that are playing a wide open, high scoring, speed game that are flourishing???

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Ha ha, that reminds me, have you noticed that, in this "big, bad, tight-checking" Western conference, it seems like it is the teams that are playing a wide open, high scoring, speed game that are flourishing???

Actually, I don't understand why the chosen path to success in the west necessarily has to be "play the same heavy defensive clamp-down style all the other teams in the west play." Why isn't "take advantage of your speed/skill and outrun them and then out score them" a good option - you know, for a team that might actually have a speed/skill advantage...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad