Newcomer to the Jets - what do I need to know?

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually, I don't understand why the chosen path to success in the west necessarily has to be "play the same heavy defensive clamp-down style all the other teams in the west play." Why isn't "take advantage of your speed/skill and outrun them and then out score them" a good option - you know, for a team that might actually have a speed/skill advantage...

Because we will end up just like the Canucks. Some might say this isn't a bad thing but when we get to the finals, I want to win it.

Welcome aboard WestEnder! Now, go buy a jersey and wear it proud!

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
Welcome aboard the Jets roller coaster! Up or down, I wouldn't trade it for anything.. Well, maybe the Blackhawks.. ;) Kidding!

Some websites to help you:

www.winnipegjets.com
www.illegalcurve.com
www.tsn.ca/winnipeg
http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1568

Also this

Haha, great thread! Joe H, that was gold, lol.

Here's another good Jets link:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/

Welcome to the emotional roller coaster ride of Jets fans!
Cheers for the links! Will come in very handy when I'm devoid of things to do, which is very often of late.

Because we will end up just like the Canucks. Some might say this isn't a bad thing but when we get to the finals, I want to win it.

Welcome aboard WestEnder! Now, go buy a jersey and wear it proud!
It's on my to-buy list - provided I can find a reasonably-priced one with 'Kane 9' on the back (the perk of sharing a surname with a current Jet).

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

LOL Talk about trying to run a marathon before you've even learned to walk. We are far from even getting into the playoffs let alone getting to the Stanley Cup finals and losing in game 7. I'd rather see us get into the playoffs first before saying that a certain style is prohibited as it maynot have the best results in the Stanley Cup finals. I'd take getting into the playoffs and making a run Canucks style anyday over being 13th in the West as we are now :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
LOL Talk about trying to run a marathon before you've even learned to walk. We are far from even getting into the playoffs let alone getting to the Stanley Cup finals and losing in game 7. I'd rather see us get into the playoffs first before saying that a certain style is prohibited as it maynot have the best results in the Stanley Cup finals. I'd take getting into the playoffs and making a run Canucks style anyday over being 13th in the West as we are now :)

I'm with you bub!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not one person has mentioned the history of the "True north!" shout out during the national anthem?

In summary: Before the first ever preseason game, one fan put together a twitter campaign to get people to shout "TRUE NORTH!" extra loud during the line "The true north, strong and free" in our national anthem. It was fairly successful at the time, and by the second pre-season game it was staggering. It's part of our oral tradition, and other teams around the league immediately began copying it themselves.

A good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_si7I0xA1Y

the shout-out is at 0:38.

Related, we also have one of the best anthem singers in the league, who besides being drop-dead gorgeous (/swoon) has the decency to sing the national anthem straight up, without throwing in all this operatic crap or taking a verse and a half off.

As well, since I'm starting to join the "don't get too attached to Claude Noel" crowd, this should bring you up to speed in his soundbyte greatness. Between that and his penchant for sucking lozenges by the bucket during stressful times in-game, that's all you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kls-CUYnIc

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
Not one person has mentioned the history of the "True north!" shout out during the national anthem?

In summary: Before the first ever preseason game, one fan put together a twitter campaign to get people to shout "TRUE NORTH!" extra loud during the line "The true north, strong and free" in our national anthem. It was fairly successful at the time, and by the second pre-season game it was staggering. It's part of our oral tradition, and other teams around the league immediately began copying it themselves.

A good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_si7I0xA1Y

the shout-out is at 0:38.

Related, we also have one of the best anthem singers in the league, who besides being drop-dead gorgeous (/swoon) has the decency to sing the national anthem straight up, without throwing in all this operatic crap or taking a verse and a half off.

As well, since I'm starting to join the "don't get too attached to Claude Noel" crowd, this should bring you up to speed in his soundbyte greatness. Between that and his penchant for sucking lozenges by the bucket during stressful times in-game, that's all you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kls-CUYnIc
That anthem is damn impressive - and a great bit of appreciation for the guys that gave WPG hockey again.

And I shan't get too attached to said coach - though I will admit that his wit reminds me a bit of the ex-Celtic and current Scotland football manager Gordon Strachan.

P.S. - I thought there was part of the anthem that was sung in French nowadays?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I too appreciate the distinct lack of diva-esque vocal histrionics in her anthem performance. Humility and class ftw! :yo:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That anthem is damn impressive - and a great bit of appreciation for the guys that gave WPG hockey again.

And I shan't get too attached to said coach - though I will admit that his wit reminds me a bit of the ex-Celtic and current Scotland football manager Gordon Strachan.

P.S. - I thought there was part of the anthem that was sung in French nowadays?

For official functions, and in French-Canadian cities, it is. The part that is sung in French includes the "true north" part, I've thought about yelling out "vrai nord!" randomly at the point in the song where it should be.

Some speculate that this "French overwrite" of the 'true north' part is why Montreal has been owning us every damn time we've played.

I too appreciate the distinct lack of diva-esque vocal histrionics in her anthem performance. Humility and class ftw! :yo:

I'm not surprised; She is a music teacher by day, so straightforward technical proficiency is not a shock.

Last edited:

TheWestender

Jun 11, 2011
Glasgow
So yeah, watched the whole game, and safe to say there is no way I'm getting off the rollercoaster. Got the same stomach-wrenching feeling I do when watching Celtic or the Pats, smiled like a nut when the 'Go Jets Go!' chant or the 'True North!' rang out, and I probably looked like I was fighting off flies when I flailed my arms around at every Jets goal.

Big thanks to everyone for filling me in on everything and everyone - it really helped to know what to expect from the players (apart from the Bogosian mishaps, no-one could have expected those). Rest assured that you have yourself one committed fan from a far-off place.

Now, whether or not to tentatively wade into the post game thread...

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
So yeah, watched the whole game, and safe to say there is no way I'm getting off the rollercoaster. Got the same stomach-wrenching feeling I do when watching Celtic or the Pats, smiled like a nut when the 'Go Jets Go!' chant or the 'True North!' rang out, and I probably looked like I was fighting off flies when I flailed my arms around at every Jets goal.

Big thanks to everyone for filling me in on everything and everyone - it really helped to know what to expect from the players (apart from the Bogosian mishaps, no-one could have expected those). Rest assured that you have yourself one committed fan from a far-off place.

It's addictive isn't it? ****** we lost, but dam that was a fun hockey game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

This post made me smile.
Really happy to have aboard our crazy roller coaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->