OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Still pretty amazed at the show Knight put on, to be honest. Really excited for the Olympics. It's nice having a US team that's gold medal or bust, and this group really deserves it. Too bad Shannon Szabados (team Candaa goalie) is a god damn living legend. Her career stats at the Olympics are stupid.

2010 games: 3 games, 0.33 GAA, .980 sv%
2014 games: 3 games, 0.96 GAA, .954 sv%

Reactions: nyr2k2

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Still pretty amazed at the show Knight put on, to be honest. Really excited for the Olympics. It's nice having a US team that's gold medal or bust, and this group really deserves it. Too bad Shannon Szabados (team Candaa goalie) is a god damn living legend. Her career stats at the Olympics are stupid.

2010 games: 3 games, 0.33 GAA, .980 sv%
2014 games: 3 games, 0.96 GAA, .954 sv%

Really looking forward to the ladies this year, especially with the men's competition neutered. (No pun intended)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
11-1. All signs point to this being the matchup in the finals, barring an upset in the playoffs. That's going to be one hell of a game.

Playoffs feel awkward in a four-team league. I feel like it should just go to first place when they all just spent the entire season playing each other.

Tbh, I never understood having the playoffs in the original six era either.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Playoffs feel awkward in a four-team league. I feel like it should just go to first place when they all just spent the entire season playing each other.

Tbh, I never understood having the playoffs in the original six era either.
The one-and-done makes for some really entertaining, if albeit sometimes heartbreaking, hockey.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fun game: watch the ladies in the Olympics and take a shot every time there's contact in a "non-contact" sport.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@silverfish what's Amanda Kessel's status with the Rivs?
All members of the USWNT are going to be eligible to return to the NWHL after the Olympics are over. If Kessel chooses to, she can come back to the Rivs for the playoff push. I think Boston is going to be able to add a few of the pieces they're missing, they've kept the roster spots open. I suspect Pfalzer will go back to the Beauts, as well.

The league is still only doing 1-year contracts, so, technically, everyone on the USWNT is a free agent for the league.

I didn't stay up for the game. How did they look?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All members of the USWNT are going to be eligible to return to the NWHL after the Olympics are over. If Kessel chooses to, she can come back to the Rivs for the playoff push. I think Boston is going to be able to add a few of the pieces they're missing, they've kept the roster spots open. I suspect Pfalzer will go back to the Beauts, as well.

The league is still only doing 1-year contracts, so, technically, everyone on the USWNT is a free agent for the league.

I didn't stay up for the game. How did they look?

It was sort of like the Rangers except Finland was the Rangers.

Goaltending kept it 3-1.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Raty is arguably the best women's goalie in the world, no surprise.

I mean, she's not living legend like Szabados, yet, but she's great.

We saw the return of Knight-Decker-Coyne in the third period. They did absolutely everything but score.

Knight and Coyne connected in the second on a beauty.

Knight blows me away every time I see her. She's so much bigger than everyone else on the ice that it looks comical.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We saw the return of Knight-Decker-Coyne in the third period. They did absolutely everything but score.

Knight and Coyne connected in the second on a beauty.

Knight blows me away every time I see her. She's so much bigger than everyone else on the ice that it looks comical.
Knight & Decker are a stupid good duo, throw in Coyne's speed, which is absurd, and that line is going to give Canada fits.

Re: Knight, I think after the '14 games, US Hockey asked her to keep bulking up so she could be the true dominant power forward that she is. I think she's playing at 180 right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad