GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
My only concern is that we are turning into a “in theory” team. Like a fantasy team, where we just get as many good, skill players as possible and figure it out later. Does that work? Look at Tampa and look at Toronto. Zero cups. Not a ton of playoff success, especially Toronto. What also needs to be taken into account is that we are in a hard cap league, and we’re gonna have to deal with this problem sooner than later.

Fortunately we have more cap space coming off the books than just about any other team over the next year. And every team that isn't currently a contender is an "in theory" team until they get there.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm failing to see why DeAngelo by himself doesn't return a youngish 2C

should return more. At ADA's current level, we should be looking at Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen levels of return (although I'd argue that trade didn't work out as well for NSH since Johansen is really more of a 2A/1B center and Jones is a top pairing guy now). Shouldn't all this talk go in the roster building thread though?

Reactions: NYR Viper

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
One of the principle arguments against signing Panarin is that he wasn't going to make the team a cup contender by himself, and we would be wasting his best years while we continue to rebuild. But getting Kakko, Fox, Trouba, Laf, the emergency of ADA and Mika taking it to an elite level, has accelerated the rebuild. On top of that, Panarin had an MVP caliber season. So thus far, things have worked out very well. That said, we still have a ways to go before we are actually cup contenders.

Agreed. Last year I hoped the team would be ready to contend in 3 years. Now, I'll be disappointed if they aren't at least making deep runs in 2 years. But even high end kids need to get their feet wet and learn how to play the game (both reg season and post-season) at this level. By the time they are ready to contend, I fully expect Laf to have surpassed Panarin.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'll state what will probably be an unpopular opinion but I'd much rather sign Fast as the utility, veteran winger who can play in all situations and on all lines as necessary for 3-4 years while trading Buch than lose Fast for nothing (UFA). I think long-term Fast is going to serve his role better and longer for this team than Buch who could be replaced internally sooner rather than later.

If you lose Fast for nothing you still have Buch to trade for something later.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I get nervous about giving big contracts to guys like Strome and ADA. A lot of what happens depends on things we don't know yet.

-Does Chytil take the next step and become a 2c? If so, we can move Strome. If not, we're set at 3c (Chytil is already that), but we need to upgrade on Strome. Either way, unless it's on a cheap short term contract, I don't see a space for Strome on this roster.

-Is Barron a 3c or a 4c or a AAAA player? Has implications on both of those bottom 6 lines. If Barron can be a lockdown center, then we can move on from Howden. If he can be better than that, and Chytil can't lock down 2c, which of the three does the team keep?

-Can ADA or Fox play the left side? If so, it's a no-brainer to keep ADA. If not? That's a lot of money for a 3rd pair D (whichever of Trouba, Fox, or ADA you end up playing there). Particularly since, after next season if not earlier, we really only have ONE LD on the current roster (Lindgren). Does Miller make it? Hajek? Rykov? Who else is in the LD pipeline that is likely to make the jump in the next 12 months? Ideally, Lindgren is best suited to 3rd pair, but Hajek hasn't shown himself to be any better than that yet, and Rykov is still a question mark.

My concern is that if we give big/long contracts to Strome and ADA, they could--within as soon as a year--no longer have a real spot depending on how/if the prospects develop. I just don't see either one of them (especially ADA*) taking short, team friendly deals.

* Not a knock on ADA. He took one for the team this past season, and deserves to be paid. It's just a gamble based on the points above.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I get nervous about giving big contracts to guys like Strome and ADA. A lot of what happens depends on things we don't know yet.

-Does Chytil take the next step and become a 2c? If so, we can move Strome. If not, we're set at 3c (Chytil is already that), but we need to upgrade on Strome. Either way, unless it's on a cheap short term contract, I don't see a space for Strome on this roster.

-Is Barron a 3c or a 4c or a AAAA player? Has implications on both of those bottom 6 lines. If Barron can be a lockdown center, then we can move on from Howden. If he can be better than that, and Chytil can't lock down 2c, which of the three does the team keep?

-Can ADA or Fox play the left side? If so, it's a no-brainer to keep ADA. If not? That's a lot of money for a 3rd pair D (whichever of Trouba, Fox, or ADA you end up playing there). Particularly since, after next season if not earlier, we really only have ONE LD on the current roster (Lindgren). Does Miller make it? Hajek? Rykov? Who else is in the LD pipeline that is likely to make the jump in the next 12 months? Ideally, Lindgren is best suited to 3rd pair, but Hajek hasn't shown himself to be any better than that yet, and Rykov is still a question mark.

My concern is that if we give big/long contracts to Strome and ADA, they could--within as soon as a year--no longer have a real spot depending on how/if the prospects develop. I just don't see either one of them (especially ADA*) taking short, team friendly deals.

* Not a knock on ADA. He took one for the team this past season, and deserves to be paid. It's just a gamble based on the points above.

That's part of the trouble and balance of building a roster...you can't wait on prospects to develop forever. Some might not make it, some might takes years, etc. Sometimes you have to fill holes now and figure things out later if a prospect pushes that spot.

Reactions: smoneil

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If we aren’t going to try to transition one of the RHDs to the left side, I’d rather dangle Trouba or ADA as the trade bait. That’s going to be an expensive mess of a log jam and they hold much more value than Buch or Strome.

Definitely more value then Buch or Strome. I guess with the addition of Lafreniere we could probably survive the loss of offense from moving ADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad