Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers @ Philadelphia Flyers 4/25/14

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Bottom line: It's time for Lundqvist and especially Nash, to put their balls on the table.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
And both team's lost those games...

What's your point? It only goes to show you how important a goalie is in terms of momentum swings and the effect it has on the surrounding group of players.

Repeatedly in this thread I have read that Lundqvist isn't good or elite because he gives up "soft" goals and he will never be on the level of Hasek, Roy, or even Brodeur because of it. My point is that even the greatest goalies of all time let in bad goals.

You want to talk about momentum? What really killed the momentum was Moore taking that first penalty. The rangers were playing well until that. But no one wants to talk about that penalty, and how terrible of a dive it was, or about the rangers inept PP that is killing us again and is itself a momentum killer. People would rather just blame Lundqvist for killing our momentum when in fact there are plenty of other things in the game that hurt momentum more than Lundqvist. Nope we are just going to focus on how a two time olympic medalist, the all time winnings goalie in Rangers history has single handily killed any momentum the rangers have, loses games on his own, and is just a big choker.

It's ridiculous and getting old.

BarbaraAlphanse

Repeatedly in this thread I have read that Lundqvist isn't good or elite because he gives up "soft" goals and he will never be on the level of Hasek, Roy, or even Brodeur because of it. My point is that even the greatest goalies of all time let in bad goals.

You want to talk about momentum? What really killed the momentum was Moore taking that first penalty. The rangers were playing well until that. But no one wants to talk about that penalty, and how terrible of a dive it was, or about the rangers inept PP that is killing us again and is itself a momentum killer. People would rather just blame Lundqvist for killing our momentum when in fact there are plenty of other things in the game that hurt momentum more than Lundqvist. Nope we are just going to focus on how a two time olympic medalist, the all time winnings goalie in Rangers history has single handily killed any momentum the rangers have, loses games on his own, and is just a big choker.

It's ridiculous and getting old.

I don't wish to argue about this anymore. Lundqvuist needs to play better. Period. Otherwise this team isn't going very far, in any year. It's as simple as that. He needs to reach the extra level. Nash needs to reach the extra level. Richards needs to reach the extra level. Get my drift? But the most important player that has to reach that level is Henrik. He's the last line of defense, and games and series' have both been won and lost on the play of the goalie.

And for someone who is the highest paid player on this team and the highest paid player at his position league-wide... he better ****ing find that extra level.

As for Richards? He'll get bought out, his play has determined that. Nash? One day soon, he'll get a lot of criticism from the media and he'll either be exposed and traded or will have to live up to the expectations that come with his name and price tag too.

The point is, Henrik is being paid like a star, and watching him not be able to get to that extra level that will steal games for us when we should lose... is unacceptable.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How is Hank supposed to play better? Does anyone realize how ridiculous it is to demand a goalie be better than 1.76 GAA and a .927 sv%? That's elite. You can't actually expect him to get a shutout in every game. It's absurd.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How is Hank supposed to play better? Does anyone realize how ridiculous it is to demand a goalie be better than 1.76 GAA and a .927 sv%? That's elite. You can't actually expect him to get a shutout in every game. It's absurd.

It's not the numbers he's put up but the quality of some of the goals he's given up that is the issue. 1.76 or less in four games is obviously very good but if you look at every 4 game stretch throughout the season for all goalies I'm sure it happened a lot of times. It's too short term to really gauge much from. 1.76 over a whole season sure you could say he played great but in four games it could easily be just not so many chances against and then a couple weak goals etc..

BarbaraAlphanse

Have the Flyers given him anything even remotely above average, in terms of difficulty saving the puck?

We're not playing the Penguins, or Bruins, or Canadians, here. And the goals are coming from 3rd liners who are capitalizing on ******** situations - situations that are not always Henrik's fault, but that he's been able to bail the team out from in the past.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He's letting in less than 2 goals a game and the series is tied. Something else is the problem here

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
He's letting in less than 2 goals a game and the series is tied. Something else is the problem here

Something else is the problem? Isn't an elite goalie suppose to win a game when only 1 or 2 goals are scored? Isn't that what makes him elite?

Sure, would be great to score 4 goals every game but thats not going to happen. The offense could be better, sure. But Hank can be better. Needs to be better.

I think the Flyers know how to defend us now. Last night was very concerning. I would be very concerned if we get behind tomorow, I don't think we can come back on them.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah, but you have to remember that the thing is -- he's not Fleury. He's not Mason. He should be outplaying these guys just about every night, game in, game out. So when you have a game like this where he gives up a goal like that, I think it's perfectly fair to get on him a bit.

I am somewhat surprised that someone as rabid a fan as you does not understand that goalies don't face the same team.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Game 1, he made 1 great save on a 2 on 1, but he faced 15 shots. Game 3, we sat back when we were up 3-1 already and he didn't face many tough shots. In theory we could have, or we could have won both those games and could have had game 4 go into OT last night too and had us win and we'd be up 3-1, or we could have swept already. No way of knowing.

You write odd things and then say there is no way of knowing.

I'll play your silly game.

If McDonagh was not playing this series, the Rangers would have swept the Flyers.

No way of knowing.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
How come after WINS there is zero urgency? That seems like more of an issue than anything. They just LOVE to drag these series out don't they?

Its almost like they are being told to lose a few to get more home playoff games :sarcasm:

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Something else is the problem? Isn't an elite goalie suppose to win a game when only 1 or 2 goals are scored? Isn't that what makes him elite?

Sure, would be great to score 4 goals every game but thats not going to happen. The offense could be better, sure. But Hank can be better. Needs to be better.

I think the Flyers know how to defend us now. Last night was very concerning. I would be very concerned if we get behind tomorow, I don't think we can come back on them.

Yeah, Lundqvist should let it negative 1 goals if the other guy has zero.! That'll teach 'em :shakehead

Rangers need to skate harder and with urgency. 1 goal against a trashcan goalie is unacceptable.

SwedeAmerican

Dec 5, 2011
What is everybody's unbiased opinion...

On how this series will turn out? I'm asking you to use your minds instead of your hearts. Unfortunately, I felt before last night's game that whoever won it will win the series... So f'ers in 6 for me.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
When we play well, there's no doubt in my mind that we take this series. When they play like they did last night, there's no doubt in my mind that the Flyers can take this series. It all depends upon which Rangers team shows up.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Is Rask elite? He let in 1 goal against Detroit in the only loss the bruins had. In every win, boston scored 3+ goals. In the loss they didn't score any and Rask is not good enough to get to OT. Elite goalies are supposed to stop those and win games like that.

Quick is considered a top 3 goalie in the league. LMFAO is really all that can be said about him right now.

Is varlamov elite. He's a Vezina nominee. He got them to OT in game 3 but let in a goal to lose 1-0. Elite goalies are supposed to win those games. Game 4 he lost 2-1, elite goalies win those games.

By this absurd standard, not a single goalie in the league is elite.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Is it really hard to understand that goals against are not all that you judge goalie by? Momentum is a huge part of the game. The fact that we were tied after that 1st period was a disgrace. Two goals last night, and the Flyers barely tested him. Then in the 3rd they took most of that period off offensively.

Apparently, it is very difficult to understand. Why is it that all those forwards and dmen cannot impact momentum?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad