Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers @ Philadelphia Flyers 4/25/14

BarbaraAlphanse

Again, the point isn't to show who had a heavier work load. In actuality, no matter how rudimentary our shots were to Mason last night, Mason had the heavier work load with more aggressive and threatening chances given for him to fend off.

But you saw the effect Mason had on his team last night. And if Lundqvuist was able to pull out the same stops, we'd be sitting here talking about finishing them off on Sunday.

Momentum change was so disappointing. We had the full court press on Philly last night. They scored twice and then shelled up. Frustrating hockey.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Hank has got to be better. 2 of the 4 games he was the second best goalie.

ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Its not good enough from him.

I'm just sick and tired of it. Again, neither goal was really THAT bad, but why is it unfair to expect more from our elite goalie? Shots were something like 23-10 at the point the Flyers took the lead and of course the entire team was terrible after that goal

Exactly right! I'm almost sure we could of gotten the same performance from Talbot if not better. So what's the point to have a goalie with such a huge contract if we don't get the value back. In the playoffs Hank needs to be the king, and not to be outperformed by some low grade goalies. Mason should not even come close to Hank's performance.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Its not his fault.

Hes elite, but hasn't played elite. Elite goalies make the saves that aren't suppose to be made.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. He made a great kick save with his right pad last night. The two goals the Flyers scored were basically impossible to stop. The puck bounced perfectly off the boards and Hank's not stopping a perfect deflection from 2 feet in front of him, no one is. He's a great goalie but he's not god.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm sick and tired of seeing a PP muster 2 shots on goal..on 2 PP opportunities, and seeing a 4-on-3 do absolutely nothing on the ice. And it doesn't help seeing, on one side, a goose egg followed by a number in the double digits.

Talking about real game change momentum, it's those.

The team scored 4 goals in both of the wins in the series.

An elite goalie winning a game when the team only scores 1 or 2 is an elite goalie being elite.

The game wasn't his fault, but he could still be better.

The fact of the matter is that through 4 games, with the Flyers missing their #1 goalie for three of them, the Flyers have had the better goalie in 2 of the 4 games played.

Like I said before, I'm sick of having the supposed goalie advantage going into a series, but when the games are played, it doesn't show.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. He made a great kick save with his right pad last night. The two goals the Flyers scored were basically impossible to stop. The puck bounced perfectly off the boards and Hank's not stop a perfect deflection from 2 feet in front of him, no one is. He's a great goalie but he's not god.

The first goal wasn't that impossible to stop. He was just slow getting there. The second one, though..

Oh, and what kind of goal was that 2nd one?

Same story as always: one team capitalizing on their chances and the other throwing it to the wind.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The first goal wasn't that impossible to stop. He was just slow getting there. The second one, though..

Oh, and what kind of goal was that 2nd one?

Same story as always: one team capitalizing on their chances and the other throwing it to the wind.

He wasn't slow, he just wasn't unbelievably quick.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
The team scored 4 goals in both of the wins in the series.

An elite goalie winning a game when the team only scores 1 or 2 is an elite goalie being elite.

The game wasn't his fault, but he could still be better.

The fact of the matter is that through 4 games, with the Flyers missing their #1 goalie for three of them, the Flyers have had the better goalie in 2 of the 4 games played.

Like I said before, I'm sick of having the supposed goalie advantage going into a series, but when the games are played, it doesn't show.

I'm not absolving Lundqvist of his Game 2 performance. That one was bad by his standards. Yesterday, he still gave the Rangers a chance to win.

3-for-8 on their first 8 chances.

0-for-12 on their last 12.

If that crap continues, we're going to have a PP clicking at below 10%.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Nash needs to be better. It seems that he goes into a hibernation mode when it comes to Rangers playoffs.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No goalie would've won that game for the rangers. Who would you rather have? Rask? mason? No one would've changed the outcome of that game. Lundqvist is absolutely elite.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Lundqvist is not the problem. The problem is the Rangers inability to move through the neutral zone after the 1st period. 3 games in a row now the Flyers have clogged it up on us and outplayed us after the 1st. We figure that out and the series is ours.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We may outplay them... we outshoot them... but we don't have many quality chances.

That's really the big issue.

If Hank stops the 1st goal and we go to OT, I have zero confidence that we would be the team to score 1st.

That's an issue.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I read 715. You're implying this team doesn't have what it takes to change momentum after a ****ing tie.

I don't think you understand how momentum swings work in hockey (or sports in general). The Rangers reacted pretty typically, I think.

FWIW, I've said countless times on here that this team is mentally weak.

Last edited:

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Rick Nash needs to find the sort of urgency in his game that he found in the last two minutes of the loss. He needs to play like that for 60 minutes, not 2.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Rangers should win this series on the play of Lindquist alone and it hasn't happened yet.

It's hard to see this team truly accomplishing anything with the way they're currently configued.

Richards has ti be gone and there's no replacement.

Lundqvist is making star money when we can't bring the talent in front to truly win

Really need to examine themselves if they lose this series.

Maybe you trade Talbot for another scorer.

No need for all this cash going to the goalie position if he's not lights out when it counts

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
This Ranger team has a lot of talent and can compete with anyone. The strength of this team is the defense which has to be top 5 in the whole NHL.

Hank has an opportunity with this team to create his legacy or defining moment in the playoffs where the great HOF goalies step up their game.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rangers should win this series on the play of Lindquist alone and it hasn't happened yet.

It's hard to see this team truly accomplishing anything with the way they're currently configued.

Richards has ti be gone and there's no replacement.

Lundqvist is making star money when we can't bring the talent in front to truly win

Really need to examine themselves if they lose this series.

Maybe you trade Talbot for another scorer.

No need for all this cash going to the goalie position if he's not lights out when it counts

Talbot has minimal trade value due to impending UFA status.

They need to work on getting him locked up. Not trading him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yep, elite goalies never make mistakes or give up soft goals:

can we give this tired argument a rest already?

And both team's lost those games...

What's your point? It only goes to show you how important a goalie is in terms of momentum swings and the effect it has on the surrounding group of players.

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
Lundqvist could give up 10 goals in each of 4 straight games and certain posters would still blame everyone but him. I can play this game too.

7 in 4 games.

Everyone's happy, right? They would've signed up for that before the series, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad