Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Vegas Golden Knights - January 8

Should post-game talk thread titles reflect the final score of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 30 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Shatty. Would have made the signing anyday.

I don’t understand the revisionism.

Isn’t it just a demonstrative fact that he’s an ELITE fourth foward?
He is. But as I recall there was quite a push back to whether or not he played sheltered minutes. And there were the arguments about him being a legit top pairing defenseman.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
OK I didn't want to go this deep into it but people are still posting about it and I have a few mins to kill.

So here's how the play started.

Dman on the right has the puck.
Open man (Smith) on the LW boards.

What is Shattenkirk doing that far in the middle of the ice while Smith is just hanging out pitching a camp fire?
Is he checking out the hot blonde behind the bench?

In this formation, who is the one player WAY out of position?

There is only ONE answer and please don't tell me he's in the right position bcuz Smith wouldn't have flew past him if he was.

I'm not posting anymore pics lol.

View attachment 91983

So now the goalposts change.

Smith didn’t fly past him though. He was kept to the outside. If Smith flies past Shattenkirk, then he would’ve gotten a quality scoring chance himself. In the picture shown right before Smith makes the pass, he’s below the bottom the faceoff circle with no angle at the net. That’s because he was forced to the outside. Shattenkirk did his job.

In the picture you showed, what was Shattenkirk doing before that? I don’t care if a guy is out of position so long as he gets back into position before that position is compromised. He got back just fine.

And I’m not one who is impressed with Shattenkirks defensive abilities. Far from it. There are plenty of problem moments to point to for him. That just isn’t one of them.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So now the goalposts change.

Smith didn’t fly past him though. He was kept to the outside. If Smith flies past Shattenkirk, then he would’ve gotten a quality scoring chance himself. In the picture shown right before Smith makes the pass, he’s below the bottom the faceoff circle with no angle at the net. That’s because he was forced to the outside. Shattenkirk did his job.

In the picture you showed, what was Shattenkirk doing before that? I don’t care if a guy is out of position so long as he gets back into position before that position is compromised. He got back just fine.

And I’m not one who is impressed with Shattenkirks defensive abilities. Far from it. There are plenty of problem moments to point to for him. That just isn’t one of them.

No goal posts changed.
Just getting back and positioning yourself between the FWD and the net is simply not enough.
It's a good start and VERY 101 but there were a lot of options at his disposal to prevent that pass.
Very lazy play IMO

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Pavelec almost saved it. Rangers are what their tenders are. The skaters, sometimes better than others but against any good team who is playing well at the time, it's the same as it has been, eventually some team is going to break through and the Rangers just don't have enough skaters who can break though themselves.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Pavelec almost saved it. Rangers are what their tenders are. The skaters, sometimes better than others but against any good team who is playing well at the time, it's the same as it has been, eventually some team is going to break through and the Rangers just don't have enough skaters who can break though themselves.

Agreed..Seems to be the case.

This horrible system is a given but I also think this current roster needs a good kick in the ass.
Whether that be firing AV, bringing in a Lucic/Wilson/Marchant type of player to add some emotion and a little physicality, something needs to change ASAP

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm not totally enthused with coaching, but the roster is what it is. Trying to get this group to defend and still be able to transition, fore-check, back-check, and actually be able to beat a good goalie who is playing well, I get why there has to be some give in order to get some take.

Zbad might be the only player on the whole team who could cleanly beat a NHL goalie who is playing well. (sans Grabner on a breakaway or a outlier here or there) The rest have to do it by committee and when the committee is is being held in check... there are just no game breakers who are going to one time a puck with any velocity, or snipe one while covered. Only Zucc, and to a lesser, much lesser extent some others, have the vision to make a unreal pass. I think their best bet to provide offense, is sort of what they do but that leaves them with the crazy back-check and chase their man defensive scheme.

Reactions: NYR

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What you're complaining about here isn't KS22, it's the system.

AV's d-scheme, when the Rangers have numbers back, isn't to step up at the blue line. In fact, I don't think AV's scheme ever has the D stepping up at the blue line. This is a major reason why BS42 has been somewhat of a let down with NYR. His best strength is eliminating zone entries against, but we don't care about that in AV hockey.

The main component of KS22's job on this play was to keep his man to the outside, and he did that. The Rangers had numbers back, so KS22 maintained his lane, and didn't allow himself to get beat inside, which is exactly what he's supposed to do there.

The fault lies with Skjei and Nieves for guarding open ice instead of the dangerous player.

Once again, I'd like to call out that the only reason we're even talking about this play is because it led to a goal against. If that play goes off, and KS22 allows the pass across and BS76 has his man, no one even remembers that this happened. What likely happens here is that we have 55 pages praising Brady Skjei for intercepting the pass, and turning the puck up ice. Exactly what he is supposed to do in this situation when running AV hockey.

How many opportunities did LV have at point blank range last night? How many odd-man rushes did the Rangers give up? Do you remember any of the players who messed up there and allowed those breakdowns to occur? No, because LV didn't score on those opportunities. Joe and Sam didn't show 15 replays from 75 different angles for you to watch on your couch so you could focus in on the player who you think was the problem in the breakdown, and ignore all the other information being presented to you.

Stay woke, y'all.

so much f***ing truth. thx sf

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We're just talking hockey here which is cool ;)

I just don't agree that Shatty played it the right way and to your point, I think Skjei would've put Smith through the boards.

System's and other player mistakes aside, #22 (or/ insert any dman in that position at the time) HAS to take out Smith there.
No other way around it.

The game was on the line..

Smith is OUT of position there... Any shot that Smith can take from that point on is a very low danger chest-logo shot...

Why you're killing Shattenkirk on this is beyond me. Skjei is the reason this goal happens.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What you're complaining about here isn't KS22, it's the system.

AV's d-scheme, when the Rangers have numbers back, isn't to step up at the blue line. In fact, I don't think AV's scheme ever has the D stepping up at the blue line. This is a major reason why BS42 has been somewhat of a let down with NYR. His best strength is eliminating zone entries against, but we don't care about that in AV hockey.

The main component of KS22's job on this play was to keep his man to the outside, and he did that. The Rangers had numbers back, so KS22 maintained his lane, and didn't allow himself to get beat inside, which is exactly what he's supposed to do there.

The fault lies with Skjei and Nieves for guarding open ice instead of the dangerous player.

Once again, I'd like to call out that the only reason we're even talking about this play is because it led to a goal against. If that play goes off, and KS22 allows the pass across and BS76 has his man, no one even remembers that this happened. What likely happens here is that we have 55 pages praising Brady Skjei for intercepting the pass, and turning the puck up ice. Exactly what he is supposed to do in this situation when running AV hockey.

How many opportunities did LV have at point blank range last night? How many odd-man rushes did the Rangers give up? Do you remember any of the players who messed up there and allowed those breakdowns to occur? No, because LV didn't score on those opportunities. Joe and Sam didn't show 15 replays from 75 different angles for you to watch on your couch so you could focus in on the player who you think was the problem in the breakdown, and ignore all the other information being presented to you.
Stay woke, y'all.

@silverfish
I COINED the phrase CLOWN around here when it comes to AV and his idiotic system but to stick up for Shattenkirk and especially Smith in regard to defensive play is just silly.
They are HORRIBLE in their own end and the NYR's current record confirms it.

They've both failed in multiple systems and on multiple teams so why so much resistance when it comes to calling a spade a spade?

Sorry but they're REALLY bad...

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is the most bizarre finger pointing I've seen since that time in 2014 when Kreider got blamed for a penalty he wasn't on the ice for.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Smith is OUT of position there... Any shot that Smith can take from that point on is a very low danger chest-logo shot...

Why you're killing Shattenkirk on this is beyond me. Skjei is the reason this goal happens.

Skjei could sieg heil on the ice and nobody would notice. He's perhaps most bizarrely devoid of criticism player I've ever seen on this site.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's because he's super handsome. I just get lost in his eyes and forget why I was even mad in the first place.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm not even talking about the play anymore.
It's half way through the season and we've been watching garbage hockey from these two players since day one.

Smith and Shattenkirk were supposed to come in here and stabilize the back end and instead they're an 11 million dollar bag of shit.
One can't even crack the line up and the fact that there's 11 million excuses to go along with their garbage play makes it even more annoying..

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Madison Square Garden is a snooze fest compared to Vegas. They can learn a thing or two from that arena and franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad