Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Tampa Bay Lightning Game 4 (Series Tied 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
We really gotta win tomorrow and take a stranglehold on this series. Huge game. Remember all we did last night is tie the series. Tomorrow we take control!

Yes. As well as we played last night to get it to 2-2...it will all be for not if we lose tomorrow. Cannot go back to TB down 3-2...it will not be good.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Boyle's a -3 in this series. That being said he's been picking the Tampa defense apart on the power play. 4 power play assists in the series. He also had the last minute regulation goal in game 3.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Boyle's a -3 in this series. That being said he's been picking the Tampa defense apart on the power play. 4 power play assists in the series. He also had the last minute regulation goal in game 3.

Boyle, Yandle and McDonagh all have 9 points, which is the 3rd highest total among D in the playoffs. The majority of those points have been picked up in the last 7 games, ever since they were down 3-1 in the last round.

If those three guys are going like that, it's huge for the team.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
i think tampa could have easily won this game. We got lucky big time ... tons of posts and shots went wide for tampa ... the tampa coach felt they had the best scoring opportunities this game then they had all series and i would agree....

But ill take it , hopefully the rangers run with this game and it sparks MSL and nash. Although i feel nash will disappear again but MSL is a streaky player and gets his goals in bunches.

Ranger have to be better discipline if they are to win going forward. too many bad penalties

Last night's game turned when Kreider and Yandle scored. Tampa had expended all that energy driving the play for the first 35 minutes and were down two points at that point and Yandle's was just all about luck--a shot going way wide being deflected in inadvertently by Hedman. That one had to be particularly disheartening for the Lightning. It's one thing to come back against a good team when you're two goals down but still have 50 minutes to play and another when you're two goals down with 25 minutes to play and though carrying the game constantly chasing the lead.

Rangers were a lot smarter last night and they were also lucky. And you need at least a decent amount of luck to win a championship. Luck comes in a lot of different ways. A funny bounce. A bad officiating decision. An injury to a key player or two. When fortune comes your way--it's best to accept it and be thankful for it. Merit on its own--without any luck is a pretty dodgy concept to depend upon.

Anyway one thing I took from the last two games is the Rangers can score goals against Tampa. We'll win if we can frustrate the **** out of Tampa's top two lines and keep the goals down. Tampa drove the play for much of the game last night. They had a lot of shots on Henrik but the quality just wasn't quite the same as the two preceding 6 goal games. The Rangers can skate with them--they can play a fast defensive and opportunistic game. Hit them, check them, frustrate them--exploit opportunities when they arise. That's how we can win.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Keeping the puck in the zone for the 4th goal was huge. He did the same in the Washington series.

Funny how the narrative can change so quickly. Now for the next 2 days, folks will be doubting Bishop and talk about letting in 5 goals two games in a row and Hank is a god again. JOINK.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
We really gotta win tomorrow and take a stranglehold on this series. Huge game. Remember all we did last night is tie the series. Tomorrow we take control!

No doubt. Time to take control of the series on home ice. You lose 2 of 3 at home and you don't deserve to win the series. That said, since this is the Rangers we'll probably lose game 5, win game 6 in tampa in OT and then Hank will do his thing again in game 7. lol

Metranger

May 22, 2015
By the by, it was SOOO nice not having to listen to Pierre McGuire. That guy annoys the heck out of me. Brian Engblom is good. And he won a ring with Montreal.

Hope we get Albert/Michelletti for game 5.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Bishop did kick his left leg out. Nash held on to the puck as long as he possibly could and slid it towards a very small spot between the post and the end of Bishop's skate. It hit the post, then the back of Bishop's skate...and went in the net. It was an ultra-patient, pro-style goal by Nash. Give Nash credit for what he did there.
You are right. Nash never gave up on that play. It was so beautiful to see.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Hopefully the media blitz is as hard on Bishop as it was on Hank. He was asked a lot of questions and he responded in a big way. I don't think there's a mentally tougher and more prepared goalie in the league. I'm not very familiar with the sports media in Tampa, but hopefully they ask Bishop the same questions and start doubting him. Because I don't think he can respond the same way as Hank did.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Last night's game turned when Kreider and Yandle scored. Tampa had expended all that energy driving the play for the first 35 minutes and were down two points at that point and Yandle's was just all about luck--a shot going way wide being deflected in inadvertently by Hedman. That one had to be particularly disheartening for the Lightning. It's one thing to come back against a good team when you're two goals down but still have 50 minutes to play and another when you're two goals down with 25 minutes to play and though carrying the game constantly chasing the lead.

Rangers were a lot smarter last night and they were also lucky. And you need at least a decent amount of luck to win a championship. Luck comes in a lot of different ways. A funny bounce. A bad officiating decision. An injury to a key player or two. When fortune comes your way--it's best to accept it and be thankful for it. Merit on its own--without any luck is a pretty dodgy concept to depend upon.

Anyway one thing I took from the last two games is the Rangers can score goals against Tampa. We'll win if we can frustrate the **** out of Tampa's top two lines and keep the goals down. Tampa drove the play for much of the game last night. They had a lot of shots on Henrik but the quality just wasn't quite the same as the two preceding 6 goal games. The Rangers can skate with them--they can play a fast defensive and opportunistic game. Hit them, check them, frustrate them--exploit opportunities when they arise. That's how we can win.

Well said! :thumbu:

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I love how some people are talking about how we were lucky last night. Yes, we definitely got some bounces, but we also took full advantage of them. However, it happens against us as well, you gotta give and take, and roll with it.

The way I see it, Tampa could easily say they should have swept us with some luck, but we can also say as badly as we played in game 3, we could have won that game and be going home up 3-1, with a chance to close out the series tomorrow night...

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
i think tampa could have easily won this game. We got lucky big time ... tons of posts and shots went wide for tampa ... the tampa coach felt they had the best scoring opportunities this game then they had all series and i would agree....

But ill take it , hopefully the rangers run with this game and it sparks MSL and nash. Although i feel nash will disappear again but MSL is a streaky player and gets his goals in bunches.

Ranger have to be better discipline if they are to win going forward. too many bad penalties
They were shooting wide because the Rangers were pounding them...unlike in previous games. They have to keep their heads up while they have the puck now. Rangers did a great job with physicality.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
You are right. Nash never gave up on that play. It was so beautiful to see.

If Stamkos scores that exact same goal the boards would laud his patience and skill. Nash scores - all luck. The post bailed him out. BTW Stamkos' goal ticked off Girardi's skate and changed speed and direction but only Yandle is lucky. Just watched the Cooper post game presser he was definitely rattled. Same thing was said about hank after game 3 though.

BarbaraAlphanse

Before the game started everyone in the group I was with made a bold prediction that if it happened they would buy a round of Irish car bombs. Essentially, choose something that you feel doesn't have a probability of happening.

I had Nash scoring 2 goals.

Go figure. $100 later... Thanks Rick. *shakes fist in air*

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
If Stamkos scores that exact same goal the boards would laud his patience and skill. Nash scores - all luck. The post bailed him out. BTW Stamkos' goal ticked off Girardi's skate and changed speed and direction but only Yandle is lucky. Just watched the Cooper post game presser he was definitely rattled. Same thing was said about hank after game 3 though.

I'm trying to find a video of it and I can't. Doog mentioned last night in the post game that he looked defeated and made a mistake at the beginning...I have no idea what he meant.

failure

Nov 25, 2014
Colorado Springs
Before the game started everyone in the group I was with made a bold prediction that if it happened they would buy a round of Irish car bombs. Essentially, choose something that you feel doesn't have a probability of happening.

I had Nash scoring 2 goals.

Go figure. $100 later... Thanks Rick. *shakes fist in air*

Hopefully you are going out Sunday too.

Breaded Fox

Having no plan isn't a plan.
Nov 8, 2010
NJ
Cooper comes off as a Michael Keaton looking *****. Lets send him home to vomit all summer please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Cooper comes off as a Michael Keaton looking *****. Lets send him home to vomit all summer please.

Oh, he really is arrogant, isn't he? I noticed that during their series with Detroit. I never could stand him.

And your last sentence....straight to God's ears. :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am rewatching this game and as crazy as this sounds with the exception of minutes 7- Stamkos goal that period wasn't as bad as when I first watched it. To be clear those 8-10 minutes were putrid.

The Rangers have had more brain farts this series than the other series in the last two years combined. For instance Klein stepped up and noone covered for him, 2 on 1 against Staal than a break away for Killorn. Stupid just stupid.

Frankenstein was Tampa's best player even better than Killorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad