Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at St. Louis Blues 2/25/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
If the goalie faces that many shots that close in, either all the other teams are taking a lot of steroids or our guys are playing weak and can't cover the man or suppress shots

Lots of those "close in" shots could be from bad angles, if the defence does keep them to the outside. A shot from just above the goal line 15 feet from the net is not the same as a shot from in the middle of the slot 15 feet from the net. Or maybe the defence is good at suppressing point shots.

The graph is interesting but does only really tell half the story, I think it says more about the goaltending than the players in front of them. It certainly shows that Mike Condon is horrific.

Vickers8

3 stars of the game:

1.) The King
2.) The best goalie in the NHL
3.) Henrik Lundqvist

Tanner Glass - goal scorer...

4th line looks much better with Hrivik on it

Rangers Report ‏@rangersreport · 8h8 hours ago

Rangers have second best 5-on-5 goal differential in the NHL (123-87, plus-36).

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
1 year ago today this is where we were.
10402024_10203878898397268_1217990482424439332_n.jpg

December 8th last year we were 12 points behind 1st (who i believe was PIT at the time) today 1 year ago we stormed back and took 1st place.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel two ways;

Either we aren't good enough and Hank carries or we are, we slack and methods used aren't very effective. I think it's the second one because I've seen this team, we all have, carry numbers and steamroll teams
It depends on what you mean. The short answer is yes on both. The team is not good enough to go far in the playoffs and Henke does the heavy lifting that masks how pretty much mediocre they are.

And yes, the methodology (coaching) has also been sub par.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
4th line looks much better with Hrivik on it

River looks like a stronger and bigger version of Anisimov. Great along the boards and knows how to play defense. The skill remains to be seen.

Hope the brass keeps him up here.

Vickers8

River looks like a stronger and bigger version of Anisimov. Great along the boards and knows how to play defense. The skill remains to be seen.

Hope the brass keeps him up here.

Agreed like the size and strength, also a couple of times last night he didn't panic with the puck in his own end

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed like the size and strength, also a couple of times last night he didn't panic with the puck in his own end

He didn't panic, but I did see some surprise at how quickly gaps closed. That's just a matter of learning the NHL game though.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hrivik, another guy who has some balance issues. Why does he fall when he's trying to hit, is he overdoing it because he got called up or does he have a balance issue, I don't know. Mcilrath had that problem when he got his cup of coffee, seems like that's not much of an issue now.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Lots of those "close in" shots could be from bad angles, if the defence does keep them to the outside. A shot from just above the goal line 15 feet from the net is not the same as a shot from in the middle of the slot 15 feet from the net. Or maybe the defence is good at suppressing point shots.

The graph is interesting but does only really tell half the story, I think it says more about the goaltending than the players in front of them. It certainly shows that Mike Condon is horrific.

Well I know what types of shots can happen. Condon is ass yeah. And it can also show that Hank carries this team but we know that. Honestly to me it just shows suspect defense near Hank. Yeah bad angle and junk, but I cannot tell you how many times I've seen guys go right up the middle or close and our defense men couldn't catch them or make a smart play. Those type of issues. And I'm sure that this counts the giveaways thag happen in front that result in shots :facepalm:

HAPPY HOUR

Apr 29, 2005
New York
He didn't panic, but I did see some surprise at how quickly gaps closed. That's just a matter of learning the NHL game though.

Agree. Thought I was going to see a much more plodding skater. I thought his speed and puck hounding were quite acceptable.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Well I know what types of shots can happen. Condon is ass yeah. And it can also show that Hank carries this team but we know that. Honestly to me it just shows suspect defense near Hank. Yeah bad angle and junk, but I cannot tell you how many times I've seen guys go right up the middle or close and our defense men couldn't catch them or make a smart play. Those type of issues. And I'm sure that this counts the giveaways thag happen in front that result in shots :facepalm:

The graph certainly shows that the Rangers don't have a good defence since they aren't at the very top, most shots coming from that far away are going to be bad shots.

But it doesn't mean the Rangers have a bottom 5 defence in the league either because with the shorter range shots there's a much bigger discrepancy between what is a good and bad shot. The teams at the bottom of the chart are going to be interchangeable between whose defence is better than whose.

Your eye test analysis is quite frankly useless because unless you're watching every other team in the league as much as you watch the Rangers, you cannot possibly accurately reach that hypothesis. How do you know other teams don't do that all the time also?

Vickers8

Blueshirt Bulletin ‏@NYRBlueBulletin · 14h14 hours ago

#NYR has posted a 30-11-4 record in the 45 games which Dan Girardi Kevin Klein & Derek Stepan have all been in the team's lineup this season

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The graph certainly shows that the Rangers don't have a good defence since they aren't at the very top, most shots coming from that far away are going to be bad shots.

But it doesn't mean the Rangers have a bottom 5 defence in the league either because with the shorter range shots there's a much bigger discrepancy between what is a good and bad shot. The teams at the bottom of the chart are going to be interchangeable between whose defence is better than whose.

Your eye test analysis is quite frankly useless because unless you're watching every other team in the league as much as you watch the Rangers, you cannot possibly accurately reach that hypothesis. How do you know other teams don't do that all the time also?

I never said they were bottom5. So you can stop there. It's not an eye test so much as a maddening observation. I never hypothesized anything either. See, you think that I've blatantly stated these things when I merely provided the statement of one being able to interpret something a certain way while one does another. How do I know other teams don't do what? Whether or not you believe it I get to watch a lot of live play between the Rangers, Sabres, jackets and leafs. 3/4 are within 4 hours driving distance or less (seeing that I live in buffalo, that's a 10 minute drive.) Really what you did is say I was wrong on something I never said. So from having a discussion you had to come down and flex your muscles about something I didn't really say.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like Raanta is getting the nod against Dallas.

Why even try to give him time in games that aren't back to back? We don't need to act like we have a good back up who wasn't that much of a drop-off from Hank, like Talbot was. Raanta gives us a much worse chance to win than Hank.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Fast just let the ice after taking a puck to the face. Nose/cheek all bloody....

damn hope he's ok. Hope its just a cut and nothing else head related. let me guess was puck off the stick of Mcdonagh :sarcasm:

ericdgrossman

May 17, 2015
I was at the game last night. Pretty sloppy play at both ends. No crispness and no rhythm for the Rangers. I had Hank in front of me for two periods, and my God he was astounding in this game. What a treat to see in person. The Blues fans around me just shook their heads and gave him the props he so richly deserved.

Special teams are not special. (tell me something new)
KK, G and McD were ok.
Staal is soooo slow. It almost looks like he isn’t trying.
Boyle is a train wreck.
Stalberg is freaking fast as hell.
What a play by Lindberg on the Kreider goal.
Hrivik has potential. Not a bad game by him.
Zucc, Step, Brass were nothing special tonight.
I go to one game a year, and I see a Glass from Girardi goal. Seriously?

I just keep thinking back to 2014. When we made the playoffs, we weren’t expected to do much. The team did not have a great season by the eye test. Who knows what will happen. Hank is just so good

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Why even try to give him time in games that aren't back to back? We don't need to act like we have a good back up who wasn't that much of a drop-off from Hank, like Talbot was. Raanta gives us a much worse chance to win than Hank.

Nvm, beat just reported that AV said Hank is starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad