Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Pittsburgh Penguins - January 14 (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
When a team has the forwards the Pens do populating the top lines, them having a Reeves is not like the Rangers having one. Kessel, Crosby, Malkin are all at a point per game or more, when the Rangers have 3 players that can be on that pace consistently they may even get a net positive effect by having their own version of Reeves playing far behind them.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Speaking of Kessel, I was thinking he reminds me of how Kovy used to be able to beat Lundy clean with his snap shots. Crazy how the guy can get so out of shape and still be one of the fastest most skilled guys in todays NHL. Team USA leaving him off their team was ridiculous.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When a team has the forwards the Pens do populating the top lines, them having a Reeves is not like the Rangers having one. Kessel, Crosby, Malkin are all at a point per game or more, when the Rangers have 3 players that can be on that pace consistently they may even get a net positive effect by having their own version of Reeves playing far behind them.
Even still, Penguins fans do not want him in the lineup.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Changing coaches usually doesn't help a team in hockey. Fans don't seem to grasp this. I am not a fan of AV, or any other hockey coach, because there are almost no differences between them other than coincidental results.

I will guess that the majority of those who scream for AV to be replaced after every game, behaved likewise towards previous Rangers coaches. It's always easier to scapegoat a coach than to deal with the fact that perhaps it might be the personnel that is the problem. Personnel is determined by the people that hire the coach, not the coach, but somehow not everyone gets that.
Can't disagree MORE

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Changing coaches usually doesn't help a team in hockey. Fans don't seem to grasp this. I am not a fan of AV, or any other hockey coach, because there are almost no differences between them other than coincidental results.

I will guess that the majority of those who scream for AV to be replaced after every game, behaved likewise towards previous Rangers coaches. It's always easier to scapegoat a coach than to deal with the fact that perhaps it might be the personnel that is the problem. Personnel is determined by the people that hire the coach, not the coach, but somehow not everyone gets that.
I'm not against AV but I am against the passive approach we take to the game. You are right that changing coaches does not always help but sometimes it does. Every situation has to be looked at individually. The bottom line is coaches are hired to be fired because you cant fire 24 players. Even greats like Scott Bowman and Al Arbour were fired. Some of their fans were convinced they could not coach at that time as well :D

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe if the coach would stop playing Skjei and Shatt together we wouldn’t be seeing this atrocity. But no, keep trotting Kampfer around on the top pair you smug piece of **** coach.
It's become abundantly clear that Skjei-Shattenkirk simply doesn't work. Shatty is a rover and needs a more conservative partner than Brady. Honestly, Skjei needs to be the rover on his pair, that's why he worked well with Smith last year.

Staal-Shattenkirk was a better pair than Skjei-Shattenkirk.

Why won't AV change it up? All of the pairs should be different Tuesday. This is a month+ of the defense being hot garbage. It's not like anything that's been happening is working.

Try this:

McDonagh-Holden
Staal-Shattenkirk
Smith-Skjei

Or swap Holden and Shattenkirk, see if Shatt and McD can find some chemistry, or was the 26 minutes they played together in October enough for AV to decide to never do it agian?

If Staal and Holden are paired, it is imperative that the coach understands that they are the 3rd pair and shelters them accordingly. If Smith-Skjei is used as 2nd pair, Staal-Holden could be a good 3rd pair if deployed correctly (i.e. not used at the end of playoff games or against other teams' top lines.

However, all this thought is for naught because I'm sure AV's new pet Kampfer will be in the lineup again and we'll see this lineup, despite its failings.

McD-Kampfer
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Shatty

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm not against AV but I am against the passive approach we take to the game. You are right that changing coaches does not always help but sometimes it does. Every situation has to be looked at individually. The bottom line is coaches are hired to be fired because you cant fire 24 players. Even greats like Scott Bowman and Al Arbour were fired. Some of their fans were convinced they could not coach at that time as well :D
The passive nature of our game drives me nuts, Nicky. We have the players to pressure and really attack other teams, but we just sit on our heels too often and try the same thing over and over. I'm gonna mention Vegas again because that team has a bunch of spare parts, but Gallant has them committed to his structure and style, and look what happens. No reason we can't do that.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Even still, Penguins fans do not want him in the lineup.

I never wanted Glass playing either, the point I was trying to make is the Pens having Reeves is not really hurting their overall talent level. Rangers playing Glass was hurting them as they were not overly talented to begin with, and anyone more talented than Glass was being shuffled away to keep Glass on the roster.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The passive nature of our game drives me nuts, Nicky. We have the players to pressure and really attack other teams, but we just sit on our heels too often and try the same thing over and over. I'm gonna mention Vegas again because that team has a bunch of spare parts, but Gallant has them committed to his structure and style, and look what happens. No reason we can't do that.
I likened them to a offensive line that is always going backwards pass blocking and never get to go forwards with run blocking. We are always the counter punchers. Its time for us to start attacking instead of reacting. Bend but do not break has put our guys on their heals way too often.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is obviously a flawed and over-simplistic way to look at it, but there are still examples of positive/negative impacts related to coaching changes. I don't think many expect a different coach turn this team into a contender, but not getting their asses handed to them every night would probably be good.

2016-17: Dallas Stars | 11th in West | -39 (Lindy Ruff)
2017-18: Dallas Stars | 8th in West | +11 (Ken Hitchcock)

2015-16: Florida Panthers | 3rd in East | +36 (Gerard Gellant)
2016-17: Florida Panthers | 13th in East | -27 (Gerard Gellant[22]/Tom Rowe[60])
2017-18: Vegas Golden Knights | 1st in West | +29 (Gerard Gellant)

2015-16: Pittsburgh Penguins | 10th in East | -5 (Mike Johnston)
2015-16: Pittsburgh Penguins | 2nd in East | +42 (Mike Sullivan) Cup
2016-17: Pittsburgh Penguins | 2nd in East | +48 (Mike Sullivan) Cup

2013-14: Nashville Predators | 10th in West | -26 (Barry Trotz)
2014-15: Nashville Predators | 3rd in West | +24 (Peter Laviolette) SCF

2014-15: San Jose Sharks | 12th in West | -4 (Todd McLellan)
2015-16: San Jose Sharks | 6th in West | +31 (Peter DeBoer) SCF

2016-17: Los Angeles Kings| 10th in West | -4 (Daryl Sutter)
2017-18: Los Angeles Kings| 6th in West | +25 (John Stevens)

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Give me Daryl Sutter. It may be disgusting to watch, but at least we'll have defensive structure.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
They miss Stepan and Girardi both badly having said that moving them out was still the right move
Give me your reasons. This team is awful on the defensive side of the puck. Both those guys understood how to play in there own end. This team is allowing 35-50 shots every night. How they got rid of step knowing he would give you 50+ points and be solid in his own end is ridiculous. Giving up on a Dman that played hard every night and lead your team in block shots for 100 years is ridiculous. Those two guys were not the problem on this team. Gordon got nothing for these two guys and it is killing this team right now. This is on Jeff Gordon.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Give me your reasons. This team is awful on the defensive side of the puck. Both those guys understood how to play in there own end. This team is allowing 35-50 shots every night. How they got rid of step knowing he would give you 50+ points and be solid in his own end is ridiculous. Giving up on a Dman that played hard every night and lead your team in block shots for 100 years is ridiculous. Those two guys were not the problem on this team. Gordon got nothing for these two guys and it is killing this team right now. This is on Jeff Gordon.

You're complaining that they allow 35-50 shots every night and you're saying they miss Girardi who is the biggest shots against bleeder of this generation.

He's been less awful this year, but he still has the worst shots against rate on Tampa.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Girardi is bleeding shots against on the best team in the league right now. Only player who gives up more shots against is Stralman. He is the 29th worst in the league at SA/60 Relative to his team. The last thing this team needs is more shots against. Stepan hurts, but his NMC was about to kick in. Gorton chose to replace Stepan with Shattenkirk and got ADA and Lias for the future. The jury is still out on that one.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
hope by "ridiculous" you mean "by far the right move" lol

Not to mention we were giving up 35-50 shots every night when Step and Girardi were here.

THIS ISN'T ****ING NEW!
yeah but we won those games so no one remembers or cares

Reactions: Machinehead and Ori

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Whatever are the factors there are numerous examples of an impact of a coaching change on a team.

Saying that coaching change doesn’t have an impact is factually supported incorrect statements.

Edit: I can understand if a point is that a coaching change will not turn this depleted and imperfect to begin with roster into a SC contender. But adjusting ice time, putting together pairs that make sense, changing defensive scheme and not at the least finding ways to up this team’s intensity level and energy is something where a coach that is a good fit could make a difference. I mean the example is right here : would you think that Pens would win two SC in a row when Sullivan took over?

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah we had this discussion many times since the last summer window concerning Stepan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad