Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Pittsburgh Penguins 12/5/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It sure feels like the rangers are more smoke and mirrors than usual.. I don't feel this is at all sustainable...you can see a huge losing streak on the horizon with the way theyve played the bulk of this winning streak.

If memory serves, we outplayed the opposition in a lot of early season losses. I remember the corsi people saying we were doing well just not getting the results. Could just be law of averages at work. Last game was a lucky win, we've had unlucky losses.

Is the NYR team a playoff one without ZIbanejad/McDonagh long term? Probably not, but we should have them both fully healthy soon.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It sure feels like the rangers are more smoke and mirrors than usual.. I don't feel this is at all sustainable...you can see a huge losing streak on the horizon with the way theyve played the bulk of this winning streak.
I think league wide there has been some inconsistency in the first months of the season. Its probably too early to judge anyone. I think we could be okay if Lundy/Nash play up to where they are expected to be and if we can avoid significant injuries.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If memory serves, we outplayed the opposition in a lot of early season losses. I remember the corsi people saying we were doing well just not getting the results. Could just be law of averages at work. Last game was a lucky win, we've had unlucky losses.

Is the NYR team a playoff one without ZIbanejad/McDonagh long term? Probably not, but we should have them both fully healthy soon.
There were a few early losses where the other team's goalie just stole the game, e.g. Colorado. It was only a matter of time until the goals starting coming. Team wasn't playing good by any means but an improvement was still inevitable.

rRDtERL.png

tcKEOKt.png

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You CAN be a NYR fan while being realistic about chances, but being a Ranger fan means there is a good chance you AREN'T realistic about chances.

Look at the "Rangers stink" threads in the 3 years we went to the ECF or the finals. We were anywhere from a horrific failure to a good team... but not a "true contender", whatever the **** that means.

Or look up a post. TB just called that being "stuck in the middle". 3 ECF and a Stanley cup final in 4 years is being stuck in the middle. We should try to avoid being so middling.

Nailed it! :clap::clap:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The Rangers were missing arguably their most important forward and Hank and still won. I don't think we as fans can ask for anything more. I know style points and such weren't there but it was still an entertaining win. They did well the first period at least.

The 4th line played really well. They were the one line that wasn't on their heels so much.

What I didn't like is the Pens got the puck past 3-4 players quite easily, there were a ton of oddman rushes. It looked like a Chinese firedrill at times. I hope Pavlc kissed the posts after that game, the Pens hit 5 posts by my count. lol

All in all this gif says it all:

giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We're about .500 in terms of should have won/should have lost analytics-wise.

Which is a vast improvement.
I'd say last year's team was a LOT more smoke and mirrors than this one.

I tend to agree, but we were a good team according to K value last year.

Then again, I'm still not sure I trust K value. Particularly because I like watching the Rangers this year and last year I felt like I was being tortured sitting through a Rangers game. But that's just me, I'm flawed.

Reactions: 5 4 Fighting

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Rangers were missing arguably their most important forward and Hank and still won. I don't think we as fans can ask for anything more. I know style points and such weren't there but it was still an entertaining win. They did well the first period at least.

The 4th line played really well. They were the one line that wasn't on their heels so much.

What I didn't like is the Pens got the puck past 3-4 players quite easily, there were a ton of oddman rushes. It looked like a Chinese firedrill at times. I hope Pavlc kissed the posts after that game, the Pens hit 5 posts by my count. lol

giphy.gif
lol that gif is older than Filip Chytil.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Is McDonagh injured again?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

What? They are playing much better than last years team played after their hot start. I don't know where you get this stuff from and any team is not going to be able to sustain winning 12 of 15 in today's NHL.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

giphy.gif

The Penguins got 1 or 2 oddman rushes the whole game. The D zone coverage wasn’t great though.

The Malkin post on the open net was the only one that wasn’t effectively a save for Pavelec.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The Penguins got 1 or 2 oddman rushes the whole game. The D zone coverage wasn’t great though.

The Malkin post on the open net was the only one that wasn’t effectively a save for Pavelec.
Sure if you don't count breakaways, 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's then yes I totally agree with the 1 or 2 oddman rushes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sure if you don't count breakaways, 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's then yes I totally agree with the 1 or 2 oddman rushes.

Um. I do. Not only do I not remember them happening, NBCSN was flashing the stat up all game long. I specifically remember at some point in the third... 6-1 in odd man rushes in favor of the Rangers.

But then again, breakaways are not odd man rushes.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Caps trashed the Hawks. Ovi continues to be a regular season champ. Friday will be another toughie.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
On the anything can happen loop, around a month ago two frequent posters who I will not name said the Rangers were not making the playoffs. So a lot changed in only a months time.

Not surprising and I know the two you are talking about Nicky.

I dunno, the Cup or bust peeps in here should ask Islander fans for example how they have felt the past 35 years since their last Cup. They have made the playoffs since '84 what 10 times or so....I'm too lazy too look but I'm probably not off by much. The Rangers during that same time frame of 35 years? Once again I'm too lazy to look but I'd venture to say we've made the playoffs 22-25 times in the past 35 years.

Which fan base do you think has had a more enjoyable time in these 35 years despite only 1 Cup won between the two teams? Pretty obvious answer to that question is us. One of my good friends who is a huge Isles fan even admitted to me that he'd have sacrificed one of those 4 straight Cup the Isles won in the early 80's if he knew his team would suck so much over the past 35 compared to us even with us not having won a Cup other than once.

I think there are a few too many of our brothers in here who take for granted the fact that other than the Kings, Black Hawks and Penguins obviously, there is no other team that has given their fan bases more enjoyable hockey than our Rangers even withought a Cup win.

Maybe due to the fact I'm a bit older than most of us die hard pycho's in here(I'm 55) and have been a fan since I was 9 back in 1971, I've seen way too many dark times and have dealt with much much more dissapointments than I'd venture to say 80% of the regular posters in here who are likely quite a bit younger than me, that I don't take for granted at all the fact that our team has been so good for so long even with no Cup.

Sure winning the Cup is the ultimate prize and that is what we all want but considering the fact only one team wins it ever year and the fact it's the toughest title to win IMO in all of sports, the fact that we've been so competitive, so good and entertaining for so long, makes me feel that even with no Cups, I am very proud of our team, very proud to be a Rongo fan and that under the leadership of GMJG, the future for our team is bright and that a Cup is in our future.

Once again, ask any Islander fan you know if they'd have rather have their last 23 years since we last won our Cup or our last 23 years, I think they'd almost to a man say they'd much rather have had the kind of success we have had compared to their dismal performance. So these "Cup or bust' peeps should really rethink this ridiculous thought processes of theirs.....:nod:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Most teams in NHL get easily outmatched in top 6 vs Pens hence they won the cup back to back recently, but I felt Zucc had some great passes, and our 4th line had their best game of the year with 2 goals Fast & Boo Nieves. And Fast, Buch, & Zucc recently has been three of our best forwards for sure in their last 6 games.
It was a huge win for us without Henrik & Zib, and Pavelec had a very good game - he was only out of position one time and a bit slow to get back and Pens scored on that, and it was puck watching defense from both Holden & Ryan Mc.

Zucc can be such a thief - he and Rangers were invisible except the 1st, but it was enough to get away with a robbery and 4-3 win, but we had great puck luck for sure. Pens had 3 shots in the posts and we were outplayed at times and it looked ugly 44 vs 29 SOG, but I will take it. Skjei had a very good game too - he went around Letang and Fast scored on rebound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad