Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Pittsburgh Penguins 12/5/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I tend to think players hit posts because the goalie forced them either into tightening up or aiming the shot that way. Of course i've never played a game of hockey on skates so what do I know?

Let's see Hank and Zuke lift the cup this year.

Reactions: klingsor

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes. The Rangers got a little lucky last night but Pitt had no business winning the game at MSG earlier in the year. The Pens are still good, no question, but have only been playing well recently. They have their issues also and have had their depth diminished. That plus the fact that they have played hockey until mid june 2 years in a row may come into play later this year.

The Rangers, for all the luck with the goals they did score, could have easily scored 3 more on actual great chances. Jarry, for as bad as he looked on some of the goals against, flat out robbed the Rangers until the Nieves goal.

Pittsburgh looks atrocious on defense. Probably worse than the Rangers. Then again, they look that way every year, then comes January and they win 20 of 23...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
surprised how many people are commending on Pavs being one of the stars of the game...I thought he was without a doubt our worst player. The Rangers looked to be playing "no shots" defense and the Penguins looked to be throwing everything on net because of how uncomfortable pavelec looked in net. It wasnt the goals or the posts that bothered me, it's the rebounds on easy shots, the flat out missed saves that just went wide or tipped off his glove and just missed going in..the amount of times he overslid leaving the other side of the net completely open for like 4 or 5 seconds. Honestly I felt the Rangers defense was terrific in clearing out some really awful rebounds left out there.

I thought the Rangers were incredibly lucky to win a game where their goalie looked...well, i'll say like crap, but let's just (mostly) agree and say uncomfortable.

Luckily the Penguins goalie gave up 2 softies and 1 unlucky one. Honestly I thought he outplayed Pavelec DESPITE giving up 2 awful goals.

With all that said, Pavelec is not the Rangers starter and was an emergency fill in and the rangers top center is out...so its understandable.

What I did like in this game was the amount of quality chances the Rangers had...they didnt have a ton of shots, but it seemed like most of them were high quality...the Penguins were kinda the opposite..they had a ton of shots, but only a few were A+ quality, and like half of those were shot wide or empty nets just missed.

I though you play this game 10 times, and we're lucky to win twice.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
They have to be told to act in that manner. I've caught **** on here for merely suggesting there is a bias against the Rangers on nationally televised games. It's far worse in situations like last night where the NBCSN broadcast wasn't exclusive. I don't know how anyone can listen to that and not think those two were pro-Penguins.

Gord Miller is not an unprofessional broadcaster. Yet, he seems to be one of the worst when it comes to bias against the Rangers.

Pierre just loves the Penguins. That's apparent.

The day Sid announces his retirement, Pierre is going to be sitting at the kitchen table with a bottle of Jack Daniels, a loaded glock 9 and Leonard Cohen on Spotify.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some of us believe the moves should be made to make us true contenders in the future.
Maybe the issue is that some of us have been watching this team long enough to know that by and large, going on the "anything can happen" viewpoint does not end well. But then again, this has been one of the greatest periods in the history of this franchise.....with no Cup. Not many other sports franchises can claim that. I would much rather make the moves to strengthen the future than constantly be stuck in the middle. And yes, that means accepting that there will be a few steps back first.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
FYI... you can be a NYR fan, while at the same time be realistic about their chances come the spring.

There IS time in between, moves might be made... injuries occur... while others get healthy.

Some of us believe the moves should be made to make us true contenders in the future.

Doesn't make us less fans.

You CAN be a NYR fan while being realistic about chances, but being a Ranger fan means there is a good chance you AREN'T realistic about chances.

Look at the "Rangers stink" threads in the 3 years we went to the ECF or the finals. We were anywhere from a horrific failure to a good team... but not a "true contender", whatever the f*** that means.

Or look up a post. TB just called that being "stuck in the middle". 3 ECF and a Stanley cup final in 4 years is being stuck in the middle. We should try to avoid being so middling.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The day Sid announces his retirement, Pierre is going to be sitting at the kitchen table with a bottle of Jack Daniels, a loaded glock 9 and Leonard Cohen on Spotify.

I always find Cohen so uplifting, so odd choice by Pierre there.
He should have gone with The Cure...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
On the anything can happen loop, around a month ago two frequent posters who I will not name said the Rangers were not making the playoffs. So a lot changed in only a months time.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You CAN be a NYR fan while being realistic about chances, but being a Ranger fan means there is a good chance you AREN'T realistic about chances.

Look at the "Rangers stink" threads in the 3 years we went to the ECF or the finals. We were anywhere from a horrific failure to a good team... but not a "true contender", whatever the **** that means.

Or look up a post. TB just called that being "stuck in the middle". 3 ECF and a Stanley cup final in 4 years is being stuck in the middle. We should try to avoid being so middling.
Again, just a different way of measuring success.

Cup or bust mentality vs. playoffs or good showing, etc.

Can't speak for all but I have enjoyed the ride... I just don't want to sacrifice the future for yet another kick at the can which at this point I feel would be just fooling ourselves.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
On Fast's goal, if Malkin wasn't too busy working the refs crying to them he may have been able to help on D and prevent that goal. Eff Malkin.
Coaches hate that in all sports. If I was Sully I would be pissed but that aside Malkin looked amazing last night. The Pens are so rich with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang but sometimes teams get lazy or undisciplined when they have that much talent to rely on. We scored a goal right after 3 (or 4) of them left the ice after a PP. I thought that was perfect timing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
On Fast's goal, if Malkin wasn't too busy working the refs crying to them he may have been able to help on D and prevent that goal. Eff Malkin.

That was kinda funny. Skjei did tap Malkin's stick as he skated by but it was so slight it can't really be considered a slash at all

Reactions: belford222

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
3 ECF and a Stanley cup final in 4 years is being stuck in the middle. We should try to avoid being so middling.
I did however call it one of the best period's in the history of the franchise. The team of this year and last year, I view to be stuck in the middle. Essentially playoff fodder. And there is no need to rehash how I feel about the overall success of the franchise. You know exactly how I feel. Have I enjoyed the runs? Of course I have. But I also see the pitfall of not being realistic about where this team stands.

Reactions: Riche16

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Again, just a different way of measuring success.

Cup or bust mentality vs. playoffs or good showing, etc.

Can't speak for all but I have enjoyed the ride... I just don't want to sacrifice the future for yet another kick at the can which at this point I feel would be just fooling ourselves.
Is anyone suggesting sacrificing the future?

Why can't we hope we make the playoffs and go on a run while also holding onto our picks and prospects?

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Possibly so maybe anything can happen if a team can go from "this team is not making the playoffs" to "most points in the NHL" the next month :)

I mean, Rangers are still far away from having guaranteed spot in postseason, but right now, if I had to choose teams who can win SC or make a good PO run, based on their current form, Rangers would be right there in the mix with other top teams in NHL.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean, Rangers are still far away from having guaranteed spot in postseason, but right now, if I had to choose teams who can win SC or make a good PO run, based on their current form, Rangers would be right there in the mix with other top teams in NHL.
You are right. We can't be ruled in or out as a contender in December. Thats why all teams have to play the games. Hopefully we have a pleasant surprise but no team is guaranteed anything including the Pens this season.

Reactions: McD37

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It sure feels like the rangers are more smoke and mirrors than usual.. I don't feel this is at all sustainable...you can see a huge losing streak on the horizon with the way theyve played the bulk of this winning streak.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It sure feels like the rangers are more smoke and mirrors than usual.. I don't feel this is at all sustainable...you can see a huge losing streak on the horizon with the way theyve played the bulk of this winning streak.

The biggest wildcard to me is injuries, but this is common to pretty much every team in the league.

Otherwise, the team is good enough to avoid any prolonged losing steaks (and continue winning their better share of games) if Hank is The King. But this is also pretty common to any team. If BJ's get Bob to perform how he did in his down season a few years ago - that team wouldn't go anywhere either.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad