Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New York Islanders 2/16/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
Cam is good at playing the puck or else his coach would have told him long ago to stay in the net.

Last night was a rare occasion.

Cam's career numbers are still above Hanks.

Stop it, he nearly turned it over against PHX playing the puck. He did it in another game too. Careless as heck.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Because he SUCKS. He's a good backup but as a starter you can't feel confident for any shot. He's an effing rebound machine out there. He plays carelessly with the puck. I never thought I'd miss Henrik's (lack of) playing the puck but Cam makes me sick with it.

He has one bad game handling the puck and all of a sudden you think Hank is better at puck handling? Cam is a much better puck handler.

And a "good backup", as you put it, doesn't "SUCK", as you put it. It just means he's not a regular starter.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Cam is good at playing the puck or else his coach would have told him long ago to stay in the net.

Last night was a rare occasion.

Cam's career numbers are still above Hanks.

Legit lol'd in my office.

Thank you for this.

So are Chris Holt's.

Holt4Vezina

EDIT - I want it known that I'm not saying Cam is bad, or has been bad, I'm not. I'm saying he's not as good as Lundqvist, and that people think he is, or would be a suitable starter to the point where we can live with a long-term Lundqvist injury (god forbid) or trading Lundqvist, that's just straight up hilarious to me.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Instead of us being happy we're scoring, we're criticizing our goalie who just got thrown in for the first time in his NHL career as starter.

I'm happy we are winning. But Talbot hasn't been the catalyst for those wins. You have some of the same people criticizing Lundqvist in a 1-0 loss to Montreal, yet praising Talbot in a 6-5 Win where he gave up an equally worse goal than the 1-0 lundqvist game.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
But all the other times he clears it away effortlessly become so easily forgotten...

Exactly.

Cam had two terrible giveaways last night, no one is excusing that. This doesn't mean he's not excellent at puck handling. He absolutely is one of the better puck handling goalies in the league.

From a technical point of view, that part of his game is stellar.

*Bob Richards*

Guaranteed at least .910 for Talbot as a starter on the NYR. I would bet good money on that.

And I'm not arguing your math but your opinions following the math. Lundqvist had a great career for us and I appreciate it but that contract Sather gave him was a big mistake IMO. I would have let him walk and signed Talbot to a 3 year contract and when the time came for him to get greedy I would let him walk and sign the next young up and coming goaltender for cheap.

I too believe that 21 career games is enough to seize the starting job from one of the greatest players in franchise history.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Exactly.

Cam had two terrible giveaways last night, no one is excusing that. This doesn't mean he's not excellent at puck handling. He absolutely is one of the better puck handling goalies in the league.

From a technical point of view, that part of his game is stellar.

Yes it is and a very underrated part of the game as well. There's no stat to measure it and it really helps the defense out.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I'm sorry. I just strongly disagree with all of the Talbot supporters here.

He was great at his role- a back-up. He is not a good starting goalie, and his play since Hank went down has been awful.

A goalie is judged by his mistakes, not by what he does well. If a goalie shuts out the opposition for the first two periods, but then lets up five in the third, than he had a bad game.

I don't care if you think Cam is the greatest player of the puck in NHL history. He turned the puck over 11 seconds into the game which directly led to a goal against the first place team in our division and our biggest historical rival. He messed up. It was an awful play. I don't get why people can't admit this.

Cam Talbot is a good hockey player, but he's been playing terribly.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No! We're on opposite sides of this argument :p:

No friend zone :p:

:)

Join the side of the goaltenders...:yo:

By the way, anyone on this forum has an open invitation to join me at a sticktime session and suit up in my goalie gear and face shots from some AHL buddies of mine. Ya know, just to get a feel of what it's like on the other side.

You might find a new found appreciation of the position. :)

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

By the way, anyone on this forum has an open invitation to join me at a sticktime session and suit up in my goalie gear and face shots from some AHL buddies of mine. Ya know, just to get a feel of what it's like on the other side.

:laugh: Really? I would love to actually

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm sorry. I just strongly disagree with all of the Talbot supporters here.

He was great at his role- a back-up. He is not a good starting goalie, and his play since Hank went down has been awful.

A goalie is judged by his mistakes, not by what he does well. If a goalie shuts out the opposition for the first two periods, but then lets up five in the third, than he had a bad game.

I don't care if you think Cam is the greatest player of the puck in NHL history. He turned the puck over 11 seconds into the game which directly led to a goal against the first place team in our division and our biggest historical rival. He messed up. It was an awful play. I don't get why people can't admit this.

Cam Talbot is a good hockey player, but he's been playing terribly.

What about the team in front of him?

Is a goalie judged when he's facing a 3-on-1 and cheats to one side in case the opposing puck carrier decides to pass, but leaves space high glove and gets sniped there? (e.g Boyle's turnover last night)

I guess that goal is Talbot's fault?

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York

Is a goalie judged when he's facing a 3-on-1 and cheats to one side in case the opposing puck carrier decides to pass, but leaves space high glove and gets sniped there? (e.g Boyle's turnover last night)

Yes but if Lundqvist was in it would be the team's fault.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

We're not collecting a paycheck to be an NHL goalie. Red herring.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

Oh my red herring again. EVERYONE in the GDT was bashing Boyle on that play. Not Talbot. If you could find otherwise (other than maybe someone like Snowblind who is on the opposite side of the spectrum of you) I'd be shocked.

Everyone was bashing Talbot on the first goal, which I'd love to see you defend (although I'm sure you'll find a way) and the third goal. Unscreened from the blue line. As a goalie, you should know that is a MUST have. With his "elite technical ability", he should've been in position to make an easy save. I don't care that Big Bad Boychuk has a hard shot. He has to have that puck.

EDIT: And in regards to his third goal allowed, that is not a one-time occurrence. He has been beat from the top of the circles (or further) by an unscreened shot on MULTIPLE occasions in the last two weeks! His elite technical and positional ability should have put him in position to make those saves.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Talbot is not the only person who allowed goals. It was also the team that allowed goals. Maybe 2 goals was on him, but the rest are on everyone.
I think if the Rangers were playing their usual D coverage, it is an automatic shutout for Talbot.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Everyone was bashing Talbot on the first goal, which I'd love to see you defend (although I'm sure you'll find a way) and the third goal. Unscreened from the blue line. As a goalie, you should know that is a MUST have. With his "elite technical ability", he should've been in position to make an easy save. I don't care that Big Bad Boychuk has a hard shot. He has to have that puck.

I was the first person to post after the 1st goal and say how terrible that was. Just a terrible play. He's a human and made a costly mistake.

The Boychuk goal he needs to be saved as well, BUT.......

Just because it was an unscreened shot from the blue line, does not mean it was an easy save by any means.

This is where the ignorance/inexperience of certain fans shows. Boychuk's shot is on par with the Weber's, of the league.

That was an absolute bomb that was in the net a quarter of a second after it left his stick. You have a fraction of a section to even react to a shot of that velocity. It's HEAVY.

I don't argue with you that he shouldn't have had it, he definitely should have. But i try to give perspective (and credit) to seeing it from the other side.

You have to give credit to Boychuk for getting a running start and stepping into that shot. MANY NHL goalies get beat on shots like that all the time. Watch highlights on NHL tonight daily and you'll see bombs flying by goaltenders every night. These guys are the best in the world, sometimes you just get beat CLEAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad