Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Minnesota Wild 3/13/2014

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BThe Rangers lack size. Reasons why Richards line has looked like **** might include Richards crap skating--his and Hagelin's lack of any physical presence and St. Louis' size.
To me, Hagelin is a place where this team can upgrade. He is miscast as a top-6 forward. He is a good 3rd line player, who needs to be on a line with those that offer size.

Off course the other illustration is that a team does not need 3 offensively skilled lines. It is quite ok to have a meat and potatoes 3rd line.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
This had to be the worst game of Stepan's career (be it a short one so far). Masked behind the one goal he scored were the mistakes he made leading up to the goals for the wild.

Had several giveaway's and failed dump in attempts.

I like the kid but the effort just wasn't there last night.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean the PP is operating at 20%, the highest in years (I believe since Jagr's first year). This was a large part with Callahan off the first unit.

If Callahan was still the team's best PP producer, then yeah, I'd be way more hesitant to let him go. The past few years, he's been one of the best net presence players on the PP, but he wasn't a fit with AV's system that has flourished in that area without him.

Callahan before his 2nd injury was leading the team in PP goals, and it was hot. It actually got stale those 15 games or so when he was not on it, and then he was put back on it because it had gotten stale.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Callahan before his 2nd injury was leading the team in PP goals, and it was hot. It actually got stale those 15 games or so when he was not on it, and then he was put back on it because it had gotten stale.

Yes everything good this season for the Rangers can be attributed to Ryan Callahan in some way if you stretch the facts enough to fit your agenda.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes everything good this season for the Rangers can be attributed to Ryan Callahan in some way if you stretch the facts enough to fit your agenda.

Just throwing facts out there so people stop their claims about him.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The game against the Wild showed why I believe that this team, as constituted, is not built for playoff success. The Wild scored by whacking the puck continuously at the goalmouth. The same place where the Bruins embarrassed the Rangers from. The Rangers generate no pressure whatsoever on the Wild goalmouth. If the cannot generate off of the rush, they are sunk as they do not go to the net to score.

That type of hockey will not suffice in the playoffs. You need to win battles in the dirty areas of the ice. Taking all your shots from the outside will not result in wins. Nor will not clearing the bodies from in front of your own net.

Not sure how AV can address this, but in many ways this is the way that his Van teams lost.

I say this all the time.

Net front presence is a mindset that a player has to have instinctually. You have to be willing and determined to battle your way to get there, and continue to battle to stay there so that you CAN get those repeated whacks at pucks.

When I refer to this team as soff, and they ARE SOFF, it's with that lack of mindset, willingness and determination to get, battle and stay in those dirty areas of the ice that represent prime scoring areas.

It's part of the reason why I think Torts system was flawed in nature as it directs the focus of play away from that area (keeping the puck along the walls and behind the net)

The Rangers top 9 I feel are pretty much all more than willing to play a perimeter game.

Callahan was a guy that played a solid net front presence game before he hurt his shoulder and is probably a guy that will get back to that. We miss that with his absence. It's no endorsement to overpay the guy to the tune of 6x6, but I'm referring to his mindset here.

Kreider is a big bodied guy that should be imposing his physical will on teams in front. But right now? I think he's to mentally soft and unwilling to engage consistently enough to be a presence there.

It's a charachter trait that seems to have permeated alot of the draft picks we have and for me that's a HUGE problem because if the same guys are scouting and drafting the kids that we have in the system now (Fast, Kristo, Lindberg and Miller along with Duke, Butchy, MSC, Boo) then I fear it's a type of player that we can expect to see coming through the pro ranks for the next 3-5 years.

I think they need to look for more guys that are more interested in going through the opposition than around it.

They say the shortest distance from point A to point B is a straight line. we need to make sure that we start drafting guys that are willing to do what ever is needed to get from point A to point B is the shortest amount of time needed.

THAT is a tough team.

We do not have that.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Kreider is a rookie and there is no one on this team setting an example for the type of play we need. It is a tall order tomexpectbthis kid to just come out and essentially be THE leader on the team.

Not impossible, but its asking a lot.

Put Kreider on the broons and look out! He would kill it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Kreider is a rookie and there is no one on this team setting an example for the type of play we need. It is a tall order tomexpectbthis kid to just come out and essentially be THE leader on the team.

Not impossible, but its asking a lot.

Put Kreider on the broons and look out! He would kill it.

agreed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How many teams in the NHL have not had a bad loss streak this season ?
They all have. And their fans have all come up with narratives to make them seem much suggestive than they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is your obsession with Ryan Callahan?

Because some of the bitterness and hate towards him needs to balanced, and I am only pushing as hard as some of the haters are, and it makes me look like I am obsessed with him, but I am not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Went from defending the slot at all costs to not defending it at all. :handclap:
AND from finishing each check to peeling away at each opportunity to avoid contact.

In an effort to be more entertaining, someone forgot that the shortest route to the puck is straight. And the percentages of scoring increase, the closer you get to the net.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
AND from finishing each check to peeling away at each opportunity to avoid contact.

In an effort to be more entertaining, someone forgot that the shortest route to the puck is straight. And the percentages of scoring increase, the closer you get to the net.

'11-12: 226 GF
'13-14: 173 GF (15 games left)

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Considering the lack of finish and how horrible their shooting percentage is, it's astounding that they haven't tried to screen the goalie or crash the net with any sort of consistency.

Kreider had the right idea last night, and our only goal came as a result of his screen. But it wasn't nearly enough. Rangers have had trouble with big goalies all year, and it's tough to beat those goalies cleanly. They have to muck it up in the crease and at least try to give the goalie a hard time in these sorts of games.

KreiMeARiver*

you know, really it all comes down to our hockey players haven't been able to score more goals than you know they let go in their net and stuff.

the nash and richard aren't doing the rubber sliding thing in the goal

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Look at his metrics; he didn't do such a bad job of it this season, despite what the sheep around here would have you believe.

I'm sorry, but he simply just has not been as effective as he was in 2011 & 2012.

Sabermetrics I put no stock in because they simply don't work in hockey nor baseball. 2012 CORSI rankings had Enstrom above Weber. That's all I needed to know.

Bill Beane would have fielded a dynasty in Oakland if it did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad