• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Kevin Hayes, once again, is good.
Hayes line is much better without Zucc on it - he do not fit well on that line, and Jesper Fast had his best game of the year easy so something to build chemistry on this season until Nash & Hayes are moved for future since we have both Chytil & Lias. :)

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Kampfer, assist man. Even Carey scored?

Missed the game but saw the highlights. Carolina is bad. We looked like the Globetrotters.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know that Smith played 19 min TOI, but why could not J. Fast or Kreider get that hat with 2 goals and that is just stupidity. Smith has been lacking match fitness all season, and reward him last night for his none sense earlier this season and he barely played hockey this year.

And such things really provoke me, and I know it`s team sport and important that other players to step up based on injuries, but u can`t ignore Smith`s lack of contribution when the season started 21 games ago.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Smith looked fantastic tonight. No question that was his best game this season. He controlled the puck, made plays with the puck, made smart pinches. That’s the Smith this team needs him to be. He was the Rangers best defenseman.

Happy for Fast. You can tell his game is so suited to playing with Hayes. He has a pretty high IQ for the game but he doesn’t think offense or shoot enough all the time. Playing with Hayes on a defensive line is the makings of a very strong duo for the next 3-4 years.

Kampfer and Staal are comfortable playing together. It’s pretty obvious that they can feel where each other are going to be. For all the crap Kampfer gets, for his salary and role, he’s a very above average #7 in this league. Reminds me of Hunwick when he was here. Happy he is signed for this year and next as he provides pretty solid depth.

Vesey played well. He kept his game simple and surprise it was a positive night for him. The second he thinks he’s a skill player he gets in trouble. Move your feet, get the puck, get the puck towards the net. Rinse and repeat. With his size, skating and hands that type of game will lead to points. Too much perimeter play and he gets lost

Great post, agree on all counts.

1. This version of Smith from when he joined the Ranger could make their D group one of the best in the league (McD, Skjei, Shattenkirk, Smith, Holden, Staal and Kampfer).

2. We don't mention him often in the discussion of young players still with more room in their development to improve but Fast should be mentioned too. He might turn into one of the better utility top9ers in the league. The only wish could have been that he was a center.

3. Really like Hayes in his role. His offensive contribution might suffer but I would definitely try giving him second unit PP seconds that could compensate. How Andersson fits into long term decision on what to do with Hayes?

4. Remember that Kampfer was merely a throw-in from FL. As a pretty capable seventh D he's a pretty good value.

5. I will just ignore dumb or hyperbolic assertions that Vesey is an AHLer. Vesey and Nieves have been a good combo. I'm pretty neutral whether it's DD or Carey is their sidekick but if Chytil ever makes the team this year, he will push Grabner or Fast to join V and N. Watch out then?

6. A little side note but it was always surprising to see that many Rangers fans in Carolina, more so to me than in Florida or Arizona.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I keep reading Carolina is bad. They are not. They were 5-1-1 coming into this game. They had a bad game and an atrocious 3rd period and need better goaltending but they are not a bad team. You just can't say a team is bad based on one game or period. If that were the case then the rangers are also terrible because we looked like ass against the blackhawks particularly in the 3rd.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, Hank yesterday was 11-12 Hank. Could not ask of anything more. He even made a sick save on the PP where they scored, seconds before the goal.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I keep reading Carolina is bad. They are not. They were 5-1-1 coming into this game. They had a bad game and an atrocious 3rd period and need better goaltending but they are not a bad team. You just can't say a team is bad based on one game or period. If that were the case then the rangers are also terrible because we looked like ass against the blackhawks particularly in the 3rd.

They aren't bad but there was/is a belief that they are about to be a major contender in the Metro, or at least playoff team. I don't see it yet.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They aren't bad but there was/is a belief that they are about to be a major contender in the Metro, or at least playoff team. I don't see it yet.

You're right, they aren't bad, but that's exactly what some people are saying after this game. Most people had them as a bubble team before the season began and I think that's exactly what they are. I think they will be in contention for a wild card spot if they get decent goaltending. They are 2 points behind rangers with 2 games in hand and the metro is very tight with a lot of hockey to be played.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know that Smith played 19 min TOI, but why could not J. Fast or Kreider get that hat with 2 goals and that is just stupidity. Smith has been lacking match fitness all season, and reward him last night for his none sense earlier this season and he barely played hockey this year.

And such things really provoke me, and I know it`s team sport and important that other players to step up based on injuries, but u can`t ignore Smith`s lack of contribution when the season started 21 games ago.

I was surprised he got the hat too, but my reaction is that he was probably very vocal on the bench and stepped up as a leader, which we don’t see on the ice.

I will say this. With how the team was performing, for them to score so quickly in the 3rd shows a different kind of resolve than we’ve gotten used to. It’s one thing to come back in the third. It’s another to finish off a game when you get the opportunity. Who knows what was said in the locker room. My theory is that it was Smith exhorting them as much as anyone. Thus, the hat.

Reactions: Ori

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
OT... I just saw the On The Fly host dressed as a Pilgrim woman.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I was surprised he got the hat too, but my reaction is that he was probably very vocal on the bench and stepped up as a leader, which we don’t see on the ice.

I will say this. With how the team was performing, for them to score so quickly in the 3rd shows a different kind of resolve than we’ve gotten used to. It’s one thing to come back in the third. It’s another to finish off a game when you get the opportunity. Who knows what was said in the locker room. My theory is that it was Smith exhorting them as much as anyone. Thus, the hat.

I think the leaders of the team let him know what they thought of him showing up out of shape, and this was a message to him that they will let bygones be bygones, kinda...

Reactions: Tawnos

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Smith was great last night. If we could get the Smith from last year that would be awesome. Hank is playing well, now we just need McDonagh to get healthy and watch out because this team can score goals.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Smith is a PIA to play against. You can tell opposing forwards feel the same with the way they react to battling with him in front and in the corners. I love it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think the leaders of the team let him know what they thought of him showing up out of shape, and this was a message to him that they will let bygones be bygones, kinda...

A combination of things. One his pass to set up this early goal relaxed the team playing its first game without its captain. It might also supported whatever Smith said to the team before the game. The other is from a slight different angle than what you said that the team recognized him for the improved performance compared to the earlier in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As for the hat, I'm pretty sure the last recipient of the hat is the one who decides who gets it next.

Hank had it last, right? So he probably felt Smith had an excellent game after his shit-show against the Sens.

I don't think it's ever worth reading into who gets the hat or whatnot.

Reactions: BrianLeetch2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As for the hat, I'm pretty sure the last recipient of the hat is the one who decides who gets it next.

Hank had it last, right? So he probably felt Smith had an excellent game after his ****-show against the Sens.

True. The current "holder" of the hat gets to award it to a teammate.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Hank had it last, right? So he probably felt Smith had an excellent game after his ****-show against the Sens.

Are you saying that Smith was bad against the Sens? Hard to see any D play poorly when the team gives up 20 shots and gets a shutout.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think the whole hat thing is silly - just drop it. We`ve stars and other methods to evaluate and give credits for player performances. :)

Miller, Fast, & Kreider were my votes last night - the Zib goal was a huge goalie mistake with the glove even though he had a good game.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Are you saying that Smith was bad against the Sens? Hard to see any D play poorly when the team gives up 20 shots and gets a shutout.
I mostly meant that kerfuffle with Boro.

To mentally put something like that behind him and then play lights out in the next game...that's awesome.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the whole hat thing is silly - just drop it. We`ve stars and other methods to evaluate and give credits for player performances. :)

Miller, Fast, & Kreider were my votes last night - the Zib goal was a huge goalie mistake with the glove even though he had a good game.

Stars are chosen by the media. Fans vote in this poll. The hat is the only one chosen by the players (or player) on the team. In other words, the hat is the only one that is even remotely important.

Reactions: Siddi

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And it`s a tradition and I`m aware of that with the hat, but is it really necessary?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Other teams do similar player's recognitions so I don't even know why we are discussing it.

On the other hand it would be interesting if someone listed other teams recognition articles being used for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad