• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He put up a bunch of points in his last year of college, 52 points in 42 games. His first two seasons in the AHL were solid with 32 points in 63 games and 34 in 57 games, but he never translated that to the NHL. Why not I dont' really know, I guess his shot isn't really that good and his passing isn't really the kind that sets guys up for easy goals, etc. He was definitely hoped to be an offensive defenseman for Detroit but it didn't pan out that way.
Yeah, figured it was something like this. You can definitely see the IQ/potential there. I don't really follow prospects too much unfortunately lol.

Always nice to have these kinds of games
Whoa, temper your excitement there buddy.

Reactions: Crease

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Grand observations...

Miller doesn't shoot enough. He's never shot enough. He averages about 1.5 shots per game, which is super low for a player who consistently produces top 6 points the last 2 and a half seasons. Playmaking heavy players like Stepan, Zucc, hell even Hayes shoots more.

Holden is the new Rozsival in terms of being unfairly picked on by the lower-knowledge part of the fanbase. I thought he should be dealt for a decent return, but he's basically giving us more than Smith for pennies on the dollar. He isn't perfect, but when the lineup is full he is comparable with any bottom-pairing player on a competitive team in the league.

PP units looked just fine without McDonagh. I know he'll always be on one when healthy, but he honestly shouldn't have to be. He's a lot like Bouwmeester- can handle the offensive load when he is the only option, but his best game is two-way. He's not really an offensive dman. Neither is Skjei, and the college numbers bear that out. They provide a little more offense in the NHl because of skating and mobility, but they're not talented offensive players from an NHL standpoint.

Nice for Carey to get a goal, but for me he's still the guy thats here because NYR wasnt worried about stunting development in the press box. The new Puempel. If they plan on scratching DD for a while, lets give the kid Lettieri a shot to play a few games.

Solid game for Kampfer, but if McDonagh is out for any longer, I think a younger dman should be given a look. Do wolf pack fans have an assessment of Sproul yet?

Reactions: Maximus and Ola

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
After tonight it is clear we are SC favorites, trade Chytil for Thornton
Wow how ridiculous! Can't believe you! Just bring up Chytil next year, and sign Joe Thornton to a 1-year deal in July '18!

Ladies and gents your SC champs 2019 New York Rangers

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
I was worried about how our defense would play without McD...
Excellent

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was worried about how our defense would play without McD...
Excellent

They did give up plenty of chances... Hank was in top form today. With worse luck or an off form Hank it could've been a different story through 35 minutes.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I know everyone thinks we dominated that game and we did play very well, but this game could've seen us tied or trailing exiting the 1st period very easily. The amount of PPs we gave them and grade A scoring chances was not good in the 1st. Luckily Hank is back to his vintage self so we were able to hold the fort, score some goals and everyone be happy and overlooking Henrik until the next time he has a bad night talk about how bad he is again.

Truthfully though, with Hank of last season we probably lose this game. Luckily it seems like that Hank is gone, for now anyway. Hank is playing every night and loving it, he was able to play himself into form and now it's like it's 2013.

Guy has been ON HIS GAME for about a month now. I'm calling it: Henrik is back.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I don’t care what y’all haters say, Henrik’s not done.

He’s not “prime” Lundqvist anymore; but when he’s on his game, he’s as good as it gets.

Shame we wasted most of his career. We had 2-3 very good chances of take a few small steps back for (potential) giant leaps forward.

Sather single-handedly is to blame for that. Fortunately, Gorts looks like he’s building a team that won’t leave Shestyorkin in no mans land for much of his career.

Reactions: Fvital92

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
giphy.gif

This gif makes me want to adopt a pet Flamingo.

Edit: I imagine they shit all over the place.

Edit 2.0: What does dancing flamingo do when the Rangers lose?

Bet it shits all over the place.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Smith looked fantastic tonight. No question that was his best game this season. He controlled the puck, made plays with the puck, made smart pinches. That’s the Smith this team needs him to be. He was the Rangers best defenseman.

I know I am a broken record on this — but how much of this comes from Smith playing LD last night? I just think he becomes another — improved — player when he is used at the right spot.

Holden was really good for good parts of last season too. Maybe not so much at the end of it though.

Scorers in hockey are always streaky. Many players are cold for a long while before they find any kind of consistency. Jesper Fast is what he is. But I see no reason for why he can’t go on a hot streak here and there under his career. When is that coming? He create chances.

Reactions: trilobyte

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Buch deserves to be on the board a lot more than he has been the last few games

He is still 3rd on the team in goals, 4th on the team in points despite not getting points in a few games. He is dominant at times and it's great to see this development. I was skeptical when people compared him to Kucherov and Kuznetsov but man, if he can keep up this trajectory he will come awfully close.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Also, I love to see Boo getting it done. I always thought he had it, up until just recently when I got serious doubts. He wasn’t good in the AHL when I saw him earlier this season. But it’s a different game and role and he is playing to his strengths in the NHL on the 4th line right now. He comes in to situations with speed and comes out of them with speed.

I am not sold on him being an optimal 4c for the future — but he is at least getting the job done.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just realized Skjei played tonight and I didn’t notice him at all. Which I guess isn’t a bad thing for a defender. But kind of weird.

Reactions: Macbanan

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Scott Darling gave up a similar goal against the Islanders last night. He attempted to catch the puck and he missed. Darling has bad eyesight or his hand is bothering him. Carolina is a good team but their goaltending stinks. Ron Francis acquired Eddie Lack and he was a disaster. Darling hasn't been much better. Cam Ward is old. The Canes have all of those D. You would figure Francis would deal a D for forward. I remember reading Francis doesn't want to move a D. He would rather trade future assets for a forward.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lots of mention about Smith's play tonight, still only 7 votes? I was one of them. It was an obvious reminder to me of how good Smith can be and how much we need him to be solid back there.
When the chips were down (McD out) Smith shone. Everyone picked up their game around Hank, and even though they had some good looks, Hank was up to the challenge. Hey, Carolina is NOT a bad team and personally was very wary of losing this game. We had a good and "fortunate" start, and that 3rd goal by Carey really was an essential one, as the game still was in the balance.

Again, I'm with Maximus as seeing this team as an easy PO position team (no bubble) and what we are seeing now is more like what we will see for the rest of year.
Let me ask, would you have preferred a hot start and then a 10 game stretch like we had at the beginning?
I Prefer it this way......we survived the rough start and AV kept his job. Replacing him would've been a panic move.
Maybe they knew his job was on the line? Means they like him and want to play for him. Me thinks.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Scott Darling gave up a similar goal against the Islanders last night. He attempted to catch the puck and he missed. Darling has bad eyesight or his hand is bothering him. Carolina is a good team but their goaltending stinks. Ron Francis acquired Eddie Lack and he was a disaster. Darling hasn't been much better. Cam Ward is old. The Canes have all of those D. You would figure Francis would deal a D for forward. I remember reading Francis doesn't want to move a D. He would rather trade future assets for a forward.
I would swear I've seen him in a presser with glasses on. That doesn't mean he cannot see though. Just means he cannot catch a puck. Lol.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Takeaways from this game
1. Jesper Fast now goes by Jesper Ovechkin or Jesper Laine. Either one works
2. Smith is back to playoff form
3. Ziba is 1C
4. Prime Lundqvist is back
5. Darling sucks
6. Trade McDonagh the team is better without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad