• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m not talking down on the hat topic here, but I see twitter accounts based on the hat, and it seems that some fans view the hat differently. Personally I thought the hat was a recognition of best performance on the ice, but it can`t be the case - at least not all the time. It depends what the players feels and think and I guess that is fine.

The entire sport isn’t really necessary.

I`m just trying to understand the hat better, but I`ll let it go, because it`s a tradition - yeah, it`s a sport and it`s fun to watch. :)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I`m not talking down on the hat topic here, but I see twitter accounts based on the hat, and it seems that some fans view the hat differently. Personally I thought the hat was a recognition of best performance on the ice, but it can`t be the case - at least not all the time. It depends what the players feels and think and I guess that is fine.

I`m just trying to understand the hat better, but I`ll let it go, because it`s a tradition - yeah, it`s a sport and it`s fun to watch. :)

I think where the confusion lies is essentially in the difference between a band’s “best of” and their “greatest hits.” Ostensibly the same idea, but there can be differences, especially from the band’s perspective.

The hat can’t be a best performance thing, because it’s given out by the guy who got it the game before. What if the same guy is the best performer two games in a row?

The purpose of it is for players to give each other recognition for who they thought really stood out in a game. It doesn’t have to be on the scoresheet. And it doesn’t have to be who stood out the most. Totally subjective to the player who got it last. Doing it makes the team feel more like a unit and less like a group of individuals. Even though it’s one guy awarding it, the whole team gets to recognize and celebrate it together.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Anyway, let`s hope that Smith brings extra energy next game based on the hat - we need a new W tomorrow evening! ;)
Yes a good point @Tawnos - it`s difficult to debate tradition too.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Anyway, let`s hope that Smith brings extra energy next game based on the hat - we need a new a W tomorrow evening! ;)
Yes a good point @Tawnos - it`s difficult to debate tradition too.

It’s hard for me to think of it as tradition, since it’s only been happening for 10 years. But really it is.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
@Ori appreciate the effort to try to keep things fresh but chill my man with trying to revamp the team traditions, most tenured fans are happy with everything except the play on ice occasionally and maybe too many ritzy white-collar fans arriving half way through the game.

The hat is a newer tradition but it allows the player a voice in who deserves it. Hank likely gave it to Smith to give him positive feedback despite his rough start. Like 'shit happens man, all is forgiven if you get back on track we respect what you bring'. If you rag on a guy too much, especially when he shows repent and works to get back in shape, he'll quit and mail it in eventually.

Basically, 'trust the pro-cess' ;)

Reactions: Ori

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Rangers were first with the stick salute. Post '04 lockout season the Euros on the team brought it over as a way to thank the fans for sticking with the team through lockout and it stuck as a great gesture since that many, if not all teams do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad