Speculation: New York Rangers and Steve Yzerman Intersted in Each Other???

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
I don't understand why Yzerman would leave the Lightning and the potential of multiple championships to go to a franchise he has no connection to. Detroit makes sense, this doesn't.

Reactions: SML2

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It would be funny if he went there and TB won the cup. He would be using the pick he traded there with conditions on winning the cup. :laugh:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
LOL at the comparisons between Detroit and New York City. Sure, they're both the same...

And why would he want the Rangers job? Ummm. why wouldn't he want it? He can mold a historic franchise in the greatest city and biggest market in the world in any way he sees fit. Sure the Red Wings job makes sense also given his legendary status with that franchise, but let's not act like the Rangers job isn't appealing. We have a ton of cap space, we're a marquee franchise in the NHL (not saying the Red Wings aren't, BTW) and we're in New York f'n City. If he wins here, he'll be set for life.

Except, his family is in Michigan, he stepped back from Tampa because of it. And NYC isn't the biggest hockey market in the world. No one cares about the Rangers. They aren't even top 5 in the US for ratings or attendance. Honestly, of the original 6, I would rate them last.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Except, his family is in Michigan, he stepped back from Tampa because of it. And NYC isn't the biggest hockey market in the world. No one cares about the Rangers. They aren't even top 5 in the US for ratings or attendance. Honestly, of the original 6, I would rate them last.

That's because hockey is easily the fourth most popular sport in NYC. You have the baseball, basketball and football as wayyyyyyy ahead of hockey. Doesn't make the Rangers any less popular. They're a stalwart of New York sports. They're not as popular as the Yankees, Knicks, Mets, Giants or Jets, but they're right behind them and are still mentioned in the same breath.

Okay, they're the last of the Original 6. I guess a team has to be. They're still a premier franchise. Still bigger and more popular than 2/3 of the NHL and given how many players flock here, I'd say they're the #1 destination.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's because hockey is easily the fourth most popular sport in NYC. You have the baseball, basketball and football as wayyyyyyy ahead of hockey. Doesn't make the Rangers any less popular. They're a stalwart of New York sports. They're not as popular as the Yankees, Knicks, Mets, Giants or Jets, but they're right behind them and are still mentioned in the same breath.

Okay, they're the last of the Original 6. I guess a team has to be. They're still a premier franchise. Still bigger and more popular than 2/3 of the NHL and given how many players flock here, I'd say they're the #1 destination.

They aren't bigger or more popular than any of the Canadian franchises. And are behind Boston, Detroit, Chicago in the US. They are 19th in percent tickets sold this season, and even when they are doing well, they till average around 10th in number of tickets sold. And they rarely rate well on TV. But, even if they are in the top 1/3rd of the league, that doesn't make them a premier franchise, that just makes them a good one.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
LOL at the comparisons between Detroit and New York City. Sure, they're both the same...

And why would he want the Rangers job? Ummm. why wouldn't he want it? He can mold a historic franchise in the greatest city and biggest market in the world in any way he sees fit. Sure the Red Wings job makes sense also given his legendary status with that franchise, but let's not act like the Rangers job isn't appealing. We have a ton of cap space, we're a marquee franchise in the NHL (not saying the Red Wings aren't, BTW) and we're in New York f'n City. If he wins here, he'll be set for life.

This is a very..interesting take to say the least and pretty damn incorrect as well on many levels

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
They aren't bigger or more popular than any of the Canadian franchises. And are behind Boston, Detroit, Chicago in the US. They are 19th in percent tickets sold this season, and even when they are doing well, they till average around 10th in number of tickets sold. And they rarely rate well on TV. But, even if they are in the top 1/3rd of the league, that doesn't make them a premier franchise, that just makes them a good one.

Forbes has rated the Rangers the most valuable franchise in hockey for the 4th consecutive year.
So there is that. I am pretty sure they hold the highest rating for an outdoor game to date.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oh man id love to see how much money they offer Stevie to do this. It's gonna be an insane amount

I kinda like the idea tho and would like to see it

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Oh man id love to see how much money they offer Stevie to do this. It's gonna be an insane amount

I kinda like the idea tho and would like to see it

I think I'd far prefer Yzerman to take over the GM spot unless he will have an active role in shaping the team for the future.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

I'd love to see your stats. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd love to see the proof.

And 19th isn't bad considering how expensive tickets are. I'd venture to say that the Rangers have BY FAR the most expensive tickets in the NHL. We're the most valuable franchise in the NHL for a reason.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not sure how I feel about this. Would Yzerman be on board with the foundation Gorton has been building? I trust Gorts. I want him to be able to do his thing. What exactly would adding Yzerman as President do for us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad