Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 7th Round Pick #201 OA - Ty Ronning (RW)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I play ball hockey with him and his dad in Vancouver and it's hilarious to see how competitive they are against each other. I hope to see him make the team for you guys down the road and succeed.

In the 1994 Cup finals that we finally scraped out a championship in the 7th game--Ronning was arguably Vancouver's best forward in the series. Bure was good but after the first couple games the Rangers were able to more than less get some control over him. Linden was really good too. Ronning was dangerous practically every time he was on the ice. He had a motor and he wouldn't quit. He'd be buzzing all over the ice. His entire career was pretty much like that--and it was a long and very good one. IMO he wasn't really a first line quality center but a very very good second line center.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His dad playing 1000+ NHL games is a good sign. That means he comes from a family that is used to the NHL environment. The talent is there, the support and experience from his family too. Now he needs to develop and gain some muscle

Hordichuk_24

So many people here are furious in Vancouver, twitter, hf boards, reddit are all beyond pissed off we did not draft Ronning here in Vancouver.

This kid has incredible heart and determination, he is the most sure bet small player 2 make the NHL, watch.

Vancouver fans mostly wanted him due to the novelty. There is a reason Ronning wasn't picked until the 7th round (and it isn't his size). That part is a lot less relevant now. For starters he is incredibly injury prone. I'm not convinced last season wasn't just a fluke season. He was a huge bust up until last season from a Giants perspective. Secondly, he doesn't know how to play without the puck. That is a serious issue. Sure, it can be improved but only if Ty is willing to work at it. I haven't seen anything to suggest that based on his play. And I've seen practically every game he's ever played in the WHL. It's worth the gamble in the 7th round. Most 7th rounders aren't going to make it anyway. But I would keep my expectations very low.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Small guy but offensive type with very good skating. Let's hope we catch a lightning in the bottle.

Big fan of us focusing heavily on skating (and as we have for a little while now). This is the new NHL.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Can't help but to think Tyler Johnson here. Wanted him in the 5th. Like this pick, especially for a 7th rounder

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Can't help but to think Tyler Johnson here. Wanted him in the 5th. Like this pick, especially for a 7th rounder

Just hope people don't compare this pick with when we took a gamble on St Croix. MSC was skating in the mud.

Hordichuk_24

I have never seen him play, but Ronning supposedly doesn't shy from physical contact another point for a bad comparison.

I've been hearing people saying that but I don't know where they are getting that perception. Certainly not based on watching him play (more than a couple of games). He's a pretty passive player. He used to be predominantly a perimeter player (his first two years in the WHL) and needless to say didn't have a lot of success. This past season he went to the net more and into traffic but I still wouldn't say he doesn't shy away from physical contact. Most of the time he does. He doesn't have that kind of grit or snarl someone like Gallagher possesses. Or even another smaller player drafted today in Matthew Phillips. Those guys look for contact and try to agitate. That definitely isn't in Ronning's game. He's a lot like his father in that way. Like I said before...there are many holes in his game. It's up to him to fix that. He could make it if he becomes useful without the puck. But I have seen that same situation in many players over the years. A lot of the time they fizzle out.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Had a heck of a breakout year last season and will be interesting to see if he can blow past PPG this upcoming season. To go from .08 pts/gm to .88 pts/gm is pretty impressive. Hoping we have many highlight videos to post for him next season. Looks like the Vancouver Giants will be my favorite WHL team next year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I got a lot of friends in the Vancouver area. Everyone who's seen him says this is a steal for the 7th.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I've been hearing people saying that but I don't know where they are getting that perception. Certainly not based on watching him play (more than a couple of games). He's a pretty passive player. He used to be predominantly a perimeter player (his first two years in the WHL) and needless to say didn't have a lot of success. This past season he went to the net more and into traffic but I still wouldn't say he doesn't shy away from physical contact. Most of the time he does. He doesn't have that kind of grit or snarl someone like Gallagher possesses. Or even another smaller player drafted today in Matthew Phillips. Those guys look for contact and try to agitate. That definitely isn't in Ronning's game. He's a lot like his father in that way. Like I said before...there are many holes in his game. It's up to him to fix that. He could make it if he becomes useful without the puck. But I have seen that same situation in many players over the years. A lot of the time they fizzle out.

In the scouting reports it says," he isn't afraid of physical contact but knows his role."

That doesn't mean he annoys the piss out of opponents, runs goalies like Gallagher or drops the gloves or runs around like a maniac. It could mean he will take a hit to score or go to the front of the net or anything in between. That's a marked difference from St. Croix which was my original point. Anyway, like I said I have never seen him play, I was going by the scouting report.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I got a lot of friends in the Vancouver area. Everyone who's seen him says this is a steal for the 7th.

Lorne Molleken probably thinks the same thing. He's Ronning's coach this past season. He's also a good friend of Glen Slats Sather, was Edmonton's AHL coach for a few years under Slats. Recommended past picks like Filip Novak, Zhednek Bahensky,Garth Murray and who could forget Dalyn Flatt.

Molleken also played back in the day in the same organization as Tyler 'Glen Hall' Wall's Ontario league head coach Tony Piroski, who knows Gorton through his Bruin days.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

In the scouting reports it says," he isn't afraid of physical contact but knows his role."

Good for the "scouting report", whatever that means exactly. I'm sure I've seen the kid play more than whoever is writing that. He does avoid contact for the most part. Anybody saying otherwise is simply wrong. Or they have a very loose definition of "isn't afraid of physical contact".

Most of the contact in which Ty is involved is when he is getting drilled by a defenseman. He has a bad habit of skating with his head down and he's been hammered a number of times (and missed many games due to that). I would have thought he would learn from that but it's happened multiple times. He managed to stay relatively healthy last season but he took some shots. He isn't as evasive or smart as his Dad in that respect. Maybe that will come in time.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I`m very excited for this kid - he looks promising indeed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As previously mentioned, he was a bust up until this past season when he had a chance to step up and be a driving force.

It could be a season where everything went right, or it could be that he turned a corner.

The kid has good goal scoring ability, but other areas of his game need significant work.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
As previously mentioned, he was a bust up until this past season when he had a chance to step up and be a driving force.

It could be a season where everything went right, or it could be that he turned a corner.

The kid has good goal scoring ability, but other areas of his game need significant work.

https://twitter.com/bcomptonnhl/status/747563353128706048

Kid seems very excited. Hopefully will be a good story for him and the Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad