Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 5th Round Pick #141 OA - Tim Gettinger (LW)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Work on his skating and you never know. Expect the worst, hope for the best kind of pick, if you ask me.

I'd be happy with him being a good bottom-6 forward with size who can chip in here and there.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
20. Tim Gettinger - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Consistency is the name of the game for Gettinger. Right now, he can be either one of the more noticeable players on the ice, or completely invisible. But the potential is sky high. Gettinger is one of the bigger forwards available this year (at 6'6), but he is also a fantastic skater and therein lies the potential. When he gets going, he can be a very difficult player to stop. Problem is, he can overextend himself and is prone to hanging on to the puck too long. Needs to get away from that mentality of putting his head down and driving the net, and learn to use his skating and puck possession ability to create for teammates off the rush. Gettinger also has to use his size away from the puck. He doesn't spend enough time near the crease, where he could be a big time factor for screens, tips, and garbage goals. Instead, the majority of his scoring chances are created off the rush and not through the cycle game. But there are shifts where he'll dominate the wall that make you wonder why he doesn't do it more often. As such, Gettinger is the ultimate boom/bust selection. You've got a huge winger with a great skill set, but a guy who's still got a lot to learn about being a truly effective hockey player. Potential is sky high though.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016.html

Sounds like he could end up being a good pick if he ends up finding some level of consistency to his game, but he is a 5th round pick, so the odds are most likely stacked against him

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm okay with taking some bigger kids in the 5th/6th.

If they take any sort of step they become valuable assets. Jamie Benn being an extreme example...and he obviously produced better and had the BCHL knock.

My only point is Junior production can be a fickle thing to project. Shane McColgan fit the opposite narrative...dropped due to size, previously projected in the first, decent WHL production in his draft year. The problem is he was basically the Ryan Callahan of the WHL. That is extremely hard to translate (effort/dirty goals/scrappiness) when you go up a level and your size disadvantage becomes more pronounced and your speed advantage becomes less pronounced.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think the attitude that hitches a ride to your incomplete analysis is what brings criticism, not so much the fact that you're using analytics.

Yes, the perils of posting a chart as evidence. People tend to believe it's the only thing that you're using in your analysis.

Everything works together. I try not to overlook evidence that may be helpful.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, the perils of posting a chart as evidence. People tend to believe it's the only thing that you're using in your analysis.

Everything works together. I try not to overlook evidence that may be helpful.

When the chart is posted without comment or context, it's hard to know what else you're using in your analysis.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When the chart is posted without comment or context, it's hard to know what else you're using in your analysis.

I think this can be said about 99% of posts on HF, though. I think ones with charts have a stigma attached to them because they're a new way of looking at things. How many people take the time to dive into a post and relay every single little thing that they are using to analyze a player?

If I came into this thread and said: Oh, he's got good size. Or if I simply came in and posted a YT video of a highlight or something, no one would really care.

But I post a chart where the back end is an algorithm that finds comparable players to the season that Gettinger just had in the OHL, and then projects his NHL status by using those players, well, it gets dismissed or vilified.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I feel like everyone who's not a bumbling idiot on skates gets the "is a great skater" label these days.

KreiderHouseRules*

Don't like this pick. Huge guys rarely succeed because you need skill to make it. If a guy is 6-foot-5 and has skill, there's such a huge premium scouts put on the rare huge size that a kid gets drafted much earlier. When you get into later rounds, the bigger the guy, the worse his odds of making the NHL because all the skilled big guys go very early.

Also, "droppers" make the NHL less than "reach picks" where fans go, "WTF is this, why pick him so early." Timmmay here is a dropper, everyone had him rated higher than where he went.

Could you please post this stay that "droppers" make the NHL less than reachers? I doubt that

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think this can be said about 99% of posts on HF, though. I think ones with charts have a stigma attached to them because they're a new way of looking at things. How many people take the time to dive into a post and relay every single little thing that they are using to analyze a player?

If I came into this thread and said: Oh, he's got good size. Or if I simply came in and posted a YT video of a highlight or something, no one would really care.

But I post a chart where the back end is an algorithm that finds comparable players to the season that Gettinger just had in the OHL, and then projects his NHL status by using those players, well, it gets dismissed or vilified.

You come out with these charts silverfish and conclude right off the bat that he has 0 chance of ever becoming an NHL player.......and on the day he was drafted......and it's a bit much. He's 18 years and 2 months old--6'6'' and he's a beanpole for christ's sake. He's in an early developmental stage. He's going to fill out more than likely. He's going to go back home after development camp with a on ice and off ice program designed just for him by the Rangers training staff to improve in all kinds of areas.

So we have the draft analysis posted up above which sounds in some ways---well it sounds eerily similar to the draft analysis by The Hockey News which ranked him at 52 of this year's best prospects.

'talent hawks are more excited about the raw potential.

Scouts would like to him be more competitive and use his size to be more physical. He is a project. "I'ts a testament to his abilities that he's able to get what he gets done without using all his biggest assets," said a scout. "If he puts those things together, you're talking about an absolute home run pick. If not, it's still going to be hard for him not to make it with his size and ability."

For a player so big, Gettinger has good mobility, and his hockey sense is solid. Most players Gettinger's size can skate north-south fine but have trouble with east-west mobility. That's not the case with him. Consistency, however, is an issue. "Sometimes he looks really put together and powerful," said another scout, "and the next time he's awkward, stumbles and loses his balance."

That's the Hockey News. To be honest the Hockey News has been kind of crap for a while but their 52 guy winds up our 141 guy and it seems a number of other draft sites had him rated higher too so.....your chart might turn out correctly when all is said and done but at least give the guy a chance.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
You come out with these charts silverfish and conclude right off the bat that he has 0 chance of ever becoming an NHL player.......and on the day he was drafted......and it's a bit much. He's 18 years and 2 months old--6'6'' and he's a beanpole for christ's sake. He's in an early developmental stage. He's going to fill out more than likely. He's going to go back home after development camp with a on ice and off ice program designed just for him by the Rangers training staff to improve in all kinds of areas.

So we have the draft analysis posted up above which sounds in some ways---well it sounds eerily similar to the draft analysis by The Hockey News which ranked him at 52 of this year's best prospects.

Scouts would like to him be more competitive and use his size to be more physical. He is a project. "I'ts a testament to his abilities that he's able to get what he gets done without using all his biggest assets," said a scout. "If he puts those things together, you're talking about an absolute home run pick. If not, it's still going to be hard for him not to make it with his size and ability."

For a player so big, Gettinger has good mobility, and his hockey sense is solid. Most players Gettinger's size can skate north-south fine but have trouble with east-west mobility. That's not the case with him. Consistency, however, is an issue. "Sometimes he looks really put together and powerful," said another scout, "and the next time he's awkward, stumbles and loses his balance."

That's the Hockey News. To be honest the Hockey News has been kind of crap for a while but their 52 guy winds up our 141 guy and it seems a number of other draft sites had him rated higher too so.....your chart might turn out correctly when all is said and done but at least give the guy a chance.

Well said. I'm no fan of this pick but by no means would I say he's definitely not making it. He's a project, obviously, the odds are not great, but who said it was gonna be easy? The great surprise in hope is when they do progress and beat the odds.

These prospects are young going through big change into adulthood, not everyone takes it stride for stride, momentum is everything, and hard to sustain. And in general, that never stops, but young guys need some guide in the right direction. Let's hope that's what we get here.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He played last season at the age of 17 and tallied 39 pts in 60 games. Not great, but only 17 and probably getting used to his body. This upcoming season some bigger numbers at age 18 would be a great sign. Maybe turn into a big useful scoring touch in the bottom 6 ala Eric Fehr. That would be fantastic. Let's hope for a big season!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Yeah, I never said I truly believe he has a literally 0% chance to make the NHL. I don't think he's going to make it. And I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, I never said I truly believe he has a literally 0% chance to make the NHL. I don't think he's going to make it. And I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Funny he was the one draft choice than Cerny and Clark skipped over. A big man who can skate can be a real asset. He needs to fill out and he was ranked high enough and there are some scouts who actually do think he can be a player. As far as charts and 17 and 18 year olds go--I'm kind of thinking they might be less relevant than charts for players who have fully developed. Players drafted now can continue to develop and progress and fill out for years to come--their involvement with professional training and coaching as well is going to increase. There are players who do plateau like Keegan Iverson. At 205 lbs. for his height Gettinger could have another 30-35 lbs. to go. The other thing is Gettinger's mentality and drive. There's no way for us to know where that's going to go right now. If a player has good tools to work with (as Gettinger seems to have) and puts in the time and the effort and really drives himself.......

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kid looked very akward the times I've seen him --- like a baby giraffe.

Good speed (iffy balance and coordination).

Good shot, questionable vision.

There some raw tools there, but there are also some glaring holes.

Right now, I feel like his size allows him create certain things that wouldn't normally be there and are going to be harder to replicate as the competition gets bigger, stronger and faster.

He's definitely a long term project. Even if starts to put everything together, I'd say you're looking at a player who is at least 4-5 years away.

SouthernRanger

Jun 24, 2016
Be sure to remind people of this when they get upset that the Rangers piss draft picks away.

99gyf8H.png

Are the number of comparables only 5, taking into account height, weight, size and scoresheet? What other factors are included?

SouthernRanger

Jun 24, 2016
I wonder if he should perhaps try make the transition to center and use his size and stick length to his advantage in the faceoff dot. Tall wingers with average skating don't really make it, but use that size and play a 200 foot game, while being good on faceoffs and you have a shot at the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad