Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 5th Round Pick #141 OA - Tim Gettinger (LW)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gettinger is a huge winger who has extremely skilled hands. He does a great job stickhandling around defenders despite lacking great skating ability to evade defenders. When he can combine this with good body positioning it makes it nearly impossible to get the puck off him. He has improved in this area, as he was too easy to knock off the puck early in the season. He has good positioning in the slot on the power play and has contributed to some goals here because of quick hands and the goaltenders inability to see past him.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=272570

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
LW Tim Gettinger

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 14 1998 -- North Olmstead, OH
Height 6-foot-6 -- Weight 206 lbs

2015-16 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 60GP 17-22-39 32PIM

Ranked #52 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #51 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #92 by Future Considerations
Ranked #68 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #37 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #73 by TSN/McKenzie

Bill Placzek, Draft Site
Oversized lanky wing with surprising feet and mobility, hockey sense and hands. has long term potential as an NHL power forward down the road. Plays on both the PP and PK. A three zone player with a good release, soft hands, and inside touch. Plays pretty strong with the puck and along the boards, and makes good decisions in all phases. Long term prospect with good upside.

HockeyProspect.com Black Book
Gettinger is a huge winger who has extremely skilled hands. He does a great job stickhandling around defenders despite lacking great skating ability to evade defenders. When he can combine this with good body positioning it makes it nearly impossible to get the puck off him. He has improved in this area, as he was too easy to knock off the puck early in the season. He has good positioning in the slot on the power play and has contributed to some goals here because of quick hands and the goaltenders inability to see past him.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Don't like this pick. Huge guys rarely succeed because you need skill to make it. If a guy is 6-foot-5 and has skill, there's such a huge premium scouts put on the rare huge size that a kid gets drafted much earlier. When you get into later rounds, the bigger the guy, the worse his odds of making the NHL because all the skilled big guys go very early.

Also, "droppers" make the NHL less than "reach picks" where fans go, "WTF is this, why pick him so early." Timmmay here is a dropper, everyone had him rated higher than where he went.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think that statement can be applied to every single 5th rounder.

Be sure to remind people of this when they get upset that the Rangers piss draft picks away.

99gyf8H.png

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
LW Tim Gettinger

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 14 1998 -- North Olmstead, OH
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.05 -- Weight 206

2015-16 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 60 17 22 39 32

Ranked #52 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #51 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #92 by Future Considerations
Ranked #68 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #37 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #73 by TSN/McKenzie

PROFILE: http://bsndenver.com/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-tim-gettinger/

anyone know why he fell so far compared to this ranking?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Is there anyone available at this point in the draft that's knocking on the NHL door?

Okay. I should've been more specific. I have Gettinger pegged at 5 years away at this point. I'd imagine there are some people on the board who, if they are going to make it, will do it quicker than 5 years.

But that is a rare person.

I didn't want to come into this thread and type: This kids never going to make it. So I posted that instead before I get roasted.

Looks like this strategy didn't work either :laugh:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Okay. I should've been more specific. I have Gettinger pegged at 5 years away at this point. I'd imagine there are some people on the board who, if they are going to make it, will do it quicker than 5 years.

3, maybe 4 guys drafted in this 5th round will make the NHL. A few others will get a cup of coffee, but that's it. If you can get a player in the 5th round, that's a big win. If we get a huge 6-foot-6 beast in the 5th round, even if it's 7 years later, that's yuge. My issue is that I'd rather go for someone with skill who may have fallen due to small size or even injuries than go for someone who's yuge, but fell because he can't score even in the Juniors where he has a massive size advantage over teenagers.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Actual 0%, or like 0.0000001%?

If it's the latter it's still a good pick.

3, maybe 4 guys drafted in this 5th round will make the NHL. A few others will get a cup of coffee, but that's it. If you can get a player in the 5th round, that's a big win. If we get a huge 6-foot-6 beast in the 5th round, even if it's 7 years later, that's yuge. My issue is that I'd rather go for someone with skill who may have fallen due to small size or even injuries than go for someone who's yuge, but fell because he can't score even in the Juniors where he has a massive size advantage over teenagers.

Yes, these are things I agree with - which IMO, goes against the norm of the state of the board when there are people who wouldn't trade a 3rd round pick for Yakupov. This is why I hedged my post as I did.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Don't like this pick. Huge guys rarely succeed because you need skill to make it. If a guy is 6-foot-5 and has skill, there's such a huge premium scouts put on the rare huge size that a kid gets drafted much earlier. When you get into later rounds, the bigger the guy, the worse his odds of making the NHL because all the skilled big guys go very early.
Agree with this. Find me guys who drop for a specific reason, not big guys who didn't perform, hoping that they'll magically improve.
Also, "droppers" make the NHL less than "reach picks" where fans go, "WTF is this, why pick him so early." Timmmay here is a dropper, everyone had him rated higher than where he went.
Don't agree with this. I think the key is finding guys who slipped – but, again, for the right reasons. (e.g. not because he's too small, or too slow to translate to the next level). Risers are okay, especially those who've really come on in the second half of a season, or the like. Reaches in my experience are almost always failures, across all sports. HATE reaches.
This again, I agree with – except for the bit about small size. Injuries, yes. Russian factor, yes. Even off the ice/headcase stuff, yes. But not the stuff that can't change, like size or speed.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The one reason to be optimistic about this pick is that someone in the draft thread was saying that he was slotted in as a fourth liner on a stacked SSM team. Hopefully his lack of production is due to a lack of opportunity. But I'm not holding my breath...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad