TSN: New York Islanders' Lou Lamoriello named GM of the Year - TSN.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
have you ever thought a movie didn't deserve to win an oscar?
This real life sire. Not the films or the movies. Real people 31 gm's as colleagues voted for the real man who took komarov and martin from US in the same plane, flew to the island and got his dirt together. Got Barry Trotz the best coach :clap: Pageau, Greene, Varlamov ALL HUGE ROLES. these gm's don't play sire, naaah, not at all. They vote for the best of the best. Not bad for a 78 year old. :clap: Clappin my hands real hard here sire. Smoking this cigar for Lou, for life man. You did it again sire, you did again Lou. 3 Cups, changed the game, still hard. Big thangs.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
This man is a complete boss, he came to the leafs bringing in and keeping guys that will win you a Stanley Cup.. Komarov, Martin, Curtis Mackelany, Marleau.... If he was on the leafs he never would have traded kadri. It's quite possible leafs would be in the Stanley Cup finals Instead of trading for Barrie and kerfoot... I miss having a hall of fame gm

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think McCrimmon should've won.

Notably traded for Lehner and Martinez and has had the greatest amount of say in roster acquisitions and signings as he was previously the AGM from day one.

He was also offered a position with us, but turned it down. :banghead:

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And the GM who gave 4 players $40 million/half the salary cap, trading consecutive 1st round picks away, and then promptly missed the playoffs?

What kind of an award does that type of GM deserve?

Who said that GM deserves an award?

Reactions: Menzinger

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And the GM who gave 4 players $40 million/half the salary cap, trading consecutive 1st round picks away, and then promptly missed the playoffs?

Sam award as the other 30 GMs who didn't win GM of the year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
so your telling me you know more than the 41 panel members, including 31 gm's lol ok....

Congrats to me I guess!

If this is how the '41 panel members, including 31 GM's' is going to vote, they might as well just default the award to the Cup-winning GM, because they clearly base the award on team success for that year more than what the GM specifically does (if you want evidence of that claim, look at the previous winners of the award). For example, Jim Nill made practically no moves this year (he signed Perry, Sekera, and Pavelski while trading Pitlick for Hartman) and was a finalist for the award, even though none of those moves really separates him from most GM's in the league this year. The Stars' team success mostly stems from moves he made over a few years, but this is not a "Best GM of the past few years" award.

They already default to giving the Conn Smythe to a player who was on the Cup-winning team, so it is not like it is a major stretch for these panels.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Congrats to me I guess!

If this is how the '41 panel members, including 31 GM's' is going to vote, they might as well just default the award to the Cup-winning GM, because they clearly base the award on team success for that year more than what the GM specifically does (if you want evidence of that claim, look at the previous winners of the award). For example, Jim Nill made practically no moves this year (he signed Perry, Sekera, and Pavelski while trading Pitlick for Hartman) and was a finalist for the award, even though none of those moves really separates him from most GM's in the league this year. The Stars' team success mostly stems from moves he made over a few years, but this is not a "Best GM of the past few years" award.

They already default to giving the Conn Smythe to a player who was on the Cup-winning team, so it is not like it is a major stretch for these panels.
well I take what the panel and GM's vote on with credibility than some random poster on a forum, when someone wins an award where his peers are voting on is a pretty nice thing to win.... but again downplay it all you want his team performed... there are 27 other teams who wish they are where the isles are now....

Reactions: Coachcorner

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

So when Lee/Pageau/Eberle/Nelson start scoring even less and are making almost $30M per season into their mid-30's which group would you rather have?

Lou might play hardball with star players (which goes against him at times) but he always goves out wayyyyy to much money and term to veteran players that don't produce much.

That team is in a world of hurt the next couple seasons, it's like when New Jersey made their finals run all over again. They should have missed the playoffs this year under normal circumstances and likely will get worse as one of the oldest teams in the league.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This real life sire. Not the films or the movies. Real people 31 gm's as colleagues voted for the real man

You realize that the Oscars are voted on by a specifically-voted upon a group of industry experts... Literally the exact same thing as what determines this award.

The production and performance of those films are as much "real life" as the production and performance of players and producers in this sport.

Who said that GM deserves an award?

Brian Burke :laugh:

I wonder what he has to say about this.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
You realize that the Oscars are voted on by a specifically-voted upon a group of industry experts... Literally the exact same thing as what determines this award.

The production and performance of those films are as much "real life" as the production and performance of players and producers in this sport.

Brian Burke :laugh:

I wonder what he has to say about this.
Oscars and films with ice hockey /not acted but real pain and hurting and dying) are the same sire :clap: I will remember this for rest of my life. Thank you.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ironically, Garth Snow pretty much put together most of the functional pieces of that Islander team. Lou hired the coach and backfilled the roster with grit grinders.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
well I take what the panel and GM's vote on with credibility than some random poster on a forum, when someone wins an award where his peers are voting on is a pretty nice thing to win.... but again downplay it all you want his team performed... there are 27 other teams who wish they are where the isles are now....

Of course you do, because it matches your agenda. Go with the subjectivity when it goes your way. Don't worry, I would be the same way most of the time, if subjectivity was the only way for something to be determined.

However if the basis of the award, and the current and past results clearly reflect this, has nothing to do with how good a GM does in that particular year; only his team. If NYI lost Game 7 against the Flyers last round, does Lou win? Based on those results, and the results of the past 10 years, that is almost certainly a 'no', and the only difference between that scenario and reality is one game. If Colorado beat Dallas, does Sakic make the top 3 instead of Nill (or even win over Lou)? Probably.

For an award like this, I don't care who is voting or how much of an expert they are, or even who won and lost, I would expect everyone to think twice about the legitimacy of the process. I may not be on that panel, or a GM in the league, but I know enough about processes to know when one is flawed.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Of course you do, because it matches your agenda. Go with the subjectivity when it goes your way. Don't worry, I would be the same way most of the time, if subjectivity was the only way for something to be determined.

However if the basis of the award, and the current and past results clearly reflect this, has nothing to do with how good a GM does in that particular year; only his team. If NYI lost Game 7 against the Flyers last round, does Lou win? Based on those results, and the results of the past 10 years, that is almost certainly a 'no', and the only difference between that scenario and reality is one game. If Colorado beat Dallas, does Sakic make the top 3 instead of Nill (or even win over Lou)? Probably.

For an award like this, I don't care who is voting or how much of an expert they are, or even who won and lost, I would expect everyone to think twice about the legitimacy of the process. I may not be on that panel, or a GM in the league, but I know enough about processes to know when one is flawed.
well you better call in your concerns to the NHL lol, you can say its flawed all you want but the the voting process is done among other GM's, and when your peers vote on a award it sure means something to me anyways... if you dont care who is voting when they hold prestige positions in the league you watch than not sure what to tell you, its an odd flex how you claim you know more than the NHL GM's I will take their word, before some poster fan on here. calling out an agenda is a cop out too, I want the leafs to win just like you....

Reactions: Polaris1010

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
well you better call in your concerns to the NHL lol, you can say its flawed all you want but the the voting process is done among other GM's, and when your peers vote on a award it sure means something, and you dont know my agenda nice try.....

I am not clairvoyant, but I am also not stupid and you are very transparent with your thoughts... Which is actually not a bad thing if you think about it.

I don't have any concerns. My stance has been that it is a questionable award which is flawed. If people find honour out of that, then great, but it defeats the purpose of awards. I am sure the NHL is smart enough to figure that out on their own ;)

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I am not clairvoyant, but I am also not stupid and you are very transparent with your thoughts... Which is actually not a bad thing if you think about it.

I don't have any concerns. My stance has been that it is a questionable award which is flawed. If people find honour out of that, then great, but it defeats the purpose of awards. I am sure the NHL is smart enough to figure that out on their own ;)
I still think when peers vote on a award no matter who, or what its for, and vote you number 1 its a nice feeling, and a great honor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad