Post-Game Talk: New York Islanders at New York Rangers - October 19, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Erik Karlsson 2.0 man....

Not really. I know its the easy comparison and everyone loves comparing all the young Swedish defensemen to him, but add defense (and size) to Karlsson's game 10 years ago, and it would apply.

The player who actually plays like Erik Karlsson is another Swedish kid who'll go high in the draft this year, Adam Boqvist. Probably the most Karlsson-like player since Karlsson, and thats his favorite player. We want one of the top 2 (preferably 1), but if we get the third pick, I don't think its a bad draft to have the third pick, and take Boqvist.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can the people who keep saying our season is over, explain why they keep lumping the Oilers in with true contenders category? They have the same amount of points as us right now. And All-Star players fail to drag their teams into the playoffs all the time.

On a different tanget I would be fine with AV staying if he’d just stop being stubborn and change the defensive scheme to a zone and actually play our best players. But if he wants to keep forcing a square peg into a round hole, then we have no more use for him.

How many players of McDavid's caliber have not won a Cup in the first 10 years of their career? McDavid will likely play 10 years with the Oilers before free agency, so statistically speaking, its unlikely he wouldn't drag them to a Cup.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This roster isn't bad. Not sure what roster you're looking at.

They're just not at all playing up to their abilities.

The discussion is what are their abilities.

Do you think Lundqvist is still a good starting goalie? Do you think we have more than 1 defenseman who is more than slightly above average defensively? How many NHL forwards do we have on our roster?

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
How many players of McDavid's caliber have not won a Cup in the first 10 years of their career? McDavid will likely play 10 years with the Oilers before free agency, so statistically speaking, its unlikely he wouldn't drag them to a Cup.

He very well may accomplish that within his first 10 seasons. But I was referring to this season. They have 4 points and look awful, but somehow their season isn’t over but ours is (yes I’m aware they have some injury issues).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not really. I know its the easy comparison and everyone loves comparing all the young Swedish defensemen to him, but add defense (and size) to Karlsson's game 10 years ago, and it would apply.

The player who actually plays like Erik Karlsson is another Swedish kid who'll go high in the draft this year, Adam Boqvist. Probably the most Karlsson-like player since Karlsson, and thats his favorite player. We want one of the top 2 (preferably 1), but if we get the third pick, I don't think its a bad draft to have the third pick, and take Boqvist.

You're implying that Dahlin is much better than Karlsson, which at this point, is absurd.

Karlsson is going to end up a top 10 defenseman of all-time.

"Add more defense to Karlsson's game"

So, Nick Lidstrom? Bobby Orr?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can the people who keep saying our season is over, explain why they keep lumping the Oilers in with true contenders category? They have the same amount of points as us right now. And All-Star players fail to drag their teams into the playoffs all the time.

On a different tanget I would be fine with AV staying if he’d just stop being stubborn and change the defensive scheme to a zone and actually play our best players. But if he wants to keep forcing a square peg into a round hole, then we have no more use for him.

People want our season to be over so they can finally get the 4th overall pick they've been fawning over.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're implying that Dahlin is much better than Karlsson, which at this point, is absurd.

Karlsson is going to end up a top 10 defenseman of all-time.

"Add more defense to Karlsson's game"

So, Nick Lidstrom? Bobby Orr?

Erik Karlsson was the 15th pick.

Its lazy. Not anyone's fault in particular, we all do it, but you see this every year. Tim Liljegren, Erik Brannstrom, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson they are all supposed to be Erik Karlsson because they are Swedish defensemen who are good offensively. Not everyone is like Erik Karlsson who's Swedish and good offensively from the back end. As I mentioned, there actually is the closest player to Karlsson in this draft, but its not Dahlin, yet some will make the lazy comparison of Dahlin to Karlsson.

I'm not picking on Nevesis, just pointing out I disagree. Don't think that comparison applies, at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Erik Karlsson was the 15th pick.

Its lazy. Not anyone's fault in particular, we all do it, but you see this every year. Tim Liljegren, Erik Brannstrom, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson they are all supposed to be Erik Karlsson because they are Swedish defensemen who are good offensively. Not everyone is like Erik Karlsson who's Swedish and good offensively from the back end. As I mentioned, there actually is the closest player to Karlsson in this draft, but its not Dahlin, yet some will make the lazy comparison of Dahlin to Karlsson.

I agree it's lazy, but you also have factor in that Dahlin has very slim chances of being as good as Karlsson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree it's lazy, but you also have factor in that Dahlin has very slim chances of being as good as Karlsson.

Don't agree, at all, but you've been pushing this bandwagon for weeks that we shouldn't try to get the top pick so we can somehow get a low seed, squeak by the first round, and maybe get back to the second round, as if that would mean the team is getting closer to winning the Stanley Cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't agree, at all, but you've been pushing this bandwagon for weeks that we shouldn't try to get the top pick so we can somehow get a low seed, squeak by the first round, and maybe get back to the second round, as if that would mean the team is getting closer to winning the Stanley Cup.

So Dahlin, at 17 years old, protects to be a top 10 D, ever?

That's bold.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

That's seems like a complicated way of saying "not gutting the team and instead trying to win".

Because make no mistake, we will have to trade a lot of talent to even have a remote shot at the top pick. And at the end of the day even the worst team in the league has a better than 50% chance of missing out of the top 3 picks. It's pretty much an all around moronic strategy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And we're not winning the lottery anyway. Vegas is "winning" the lottery if they miss the playoffs because the NHL's new market needs a star.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Because I'm sick of the first overall fantasy. It's old and tired. I've seen this team pick high. It's nothing to get excited about.

Hmm. Tell me about the Brad Park era Rangers then. Because we haven't drafted in the top 5 since.

Edit I meant we've drafted in the top 5 once since then.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And this envy of Edmonton and Toronto is so ridiculous. Yeah, they've got good players now, but they didn't have a hockey team for TEN YEARS.

I don't wanna be almost 40 the next time this team makes the playoffs.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Hmm. Tell me about the Brad Park era Rangers then. Because we haven't drafted in the top 5 since.

Edit I meant we've drafted in the top 5 once since then.
2003 was the most talented draft in memory and who did we pick? A rhetorical question, of course.

;)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We've picked 6th and 7th a few times and it's done nothing for us.

Complete busts or middling players.

Key words are 6th and 7th though. That is a big difference between 1st overall.

And Foppa is the only player drafted 6th overall to ever be a true superstar.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And this envy of Edmonton and Toronto is so ridiculous. Yeah, they've got good players now, but they didn't have a hockey team for TEN YEARS.

I don't wanna be almost 40 the next time this team makes the playoffs.

You're probably going to be way older than 40 the next time the Rangers win the Cup. We all probably will be. The same might also be true for my cousins newborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad