New York Islanders are on a 17 game point streak (now ended by ANA)

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
they are on pace for 130 points which they won't achieve (which means they'll regress) and they have a coach who's gone past the 2nd round once in his nhl career

enjoy this while you can, islanders fans

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Islanders are an interesting case. I haven't found a single 5v5 skater statistic that shows they play great defense—or do anything great—and their goaltending (and so PDO) continues to remain through the roof. I've always considered coaching to be a huge factor in team defense, it's just weird that you don't see any indication of anything amazing and yet their goaltending has a 94.10 SV%. Again. Then again this is a world where the Penguins have a better record without Crosby or whatever GF/GA stats they showed the other night. :laugh:

You can't find their greatness from any available advanced stat we know in public.

And that's great.

But you can find it, if you do your homework on your own.

Reactions: MattMartin

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
did you enjoy it when you're team got swept in the 2nd round?

You're right. Trotz sucks. This whole time I was thinking "wow, he took a team that was predicted to finish dead last and brought them to the 2nd round of the playoffs, what a guy"...in reality you're right. What kind of bum gets swept in Round 2? Bring back Capuano.

FWIW though I did actually enjoy getting swept. Got depressed and really drunk that night...my GF knew I was bummed though and did the thing that I had always asked for that she always refused....it was fantastic.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
With the success of so many teams that run 4 lines and lack superstar players (Other than Barzal), I think we are seeing a shift in focus from lethal players being highly valued to horse engine players being highly valued.

Not sure that's true at all. Most teams can't due what the Isles are doing. It takes a truly elite coach like Trotz to accomplish what they are doing.
They kind of remind me of UVa in college basketball. Very few teams can play the pack line defense with success. It works for Virginia because of Tony Bennett.

Reactions: wingnutks

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Might as well talk trash now, we play Boston on Friday. Pretty much the only team in the friggin' league that scares this Islanders fan

/except maybe Ovi and the Caps
//or Sid and the Penguins
///or the Canes D
////WHY MUST THEY ALL PLAY IN THE METRO???
/x5 End Slashy rant

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
they are on pace for 130 points which they won't achieve (which means they'll regress) and they have a coach who's gone past the 2nd round once in his nhl career

So you're saying this point streak isn't going to last for the entire season?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Islanders are an interesting case. I haven't found a single 5v5 skater statistic that shows they play great defense—or do anything great—and their goaltending (and so PDO) continues to remain through the roof. I've always considered coaching to be a huge factor in team defense, it's just weird that you don't see any indication of anything amazing and yet their goaltending has a 94.10 SV%. Again. Then again this is a world where the Penguins have a better record without Crosby or whatever GF/GA stats they showed the other night. :laugh:
Psssst. They deny lateral movement between the faceoff circles. Of players. Or pucks (ie., cross-ice passes).

Do fancy stats account for that? I believe they track only where shots were taken from, not the player/puck movement preceding the shot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Psssst. They deny lateral movement between the faceoff circles. Of players. Or pucks (ie., cross-ice passes).

Do fancy stats account for that? I believe they track only where shots were taken from, not the player/puck movement preceding the shot.

This.

There isn't any public data which would take this account. It creates "unsustainable" PDO and things. We need Advanced stats 2.0 for this.

They earn their "luck" by creating "Better-dangers" as I created a term by myself. All High-Dangers and Medium-Dangers are happening with higher probability to go in.

And in the defensive end, they prevent opposite teams doing those. They let only easy shots through for a goaltender. That's why goalie SV% are shown very high. It's not that goalie is playing extremely well, he is just having easy "shot quality of competition". It comes from the system.

Double effect in both ends. Absolutely great hockey and example how smart coach Barry Trotz is.

Last edited:

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I don’t know if it’s Trotz’s defensive system or if it’s goaltender coach Mitch Korn, but I’m becoming convinced that these guys have some way of making a heavy positive influence on goaltender performance - even according to statistics which factor shot quality into goaltender performance.

“dfSV%” is a goaltender’s actual save percentage (on all unblocked shots, including those that miss the net) minus their expected save percentage on all unblocked shots. It is, in my opinion, one of the best statistics for judging goaltender performance on a per shot basis; far better than raw save percentage.

Highlighted are seasons where Barry Trotz was head coach:

012893-EB-0-FC4-4-B98-A528-5-BDB040-D6954.jpg

We’re still working with a very small sample for 2019-2020, but this is note worthy nonetheless. And even if you remove the 2019-2020 seasons for all 5 goaltenders, there is still clearly a very strong trend here.

I think we may need to accept that while goaltending is generally volatile and the kind of goaltending that the NYI have got over 1.2 years now is not generally sustainable, they are coached by Barry Trotz, and Barry Trotz's teams are far more likely to sustain excellent goaltending than normal teams.

Are we still letting this guy talk stats after his “Carlson’s not elite” thread? I thought we weren’t letting this guy talk stats anymore.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
One thing to consider is that the Islanders have played 12 home games and only 5 road games. Tied with the Rangers for least road games played.

I was gonna post this as well. Although I’d also that I think their playing style translates well to being able to win on the road. Low scoring games can take a crowd out of the game.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

That’s one way to spin it. Another way to spin it is that they have a coach who’s 5-1 in playoff series the last 2 years, has more playoff series wins than any coach over that span, and is the only coach to have reached the 2nd round with his team in 5 consecutive seasons.

Reactions: wingnutks

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
The way the Islanders play defense is infuriating to watch as a fan of the team.

You will get stretches of 5v5 that look like they are on the penalty kill. They let teams cycle to the outside and push back to the perimeter. It works but man sometimes you are watching the game just raging as the other team cycles in your zone for 2 minutes straight.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Isles played their B game last night and still won. Thought their goaltending was subpar and they played looser than Trotz teams normally do. But good teams win when they are not their best.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The way the Islanders play defense is infuriating to watch as a fan of the team.

You will get stretches of 5v5 that look like they are on the penalty kill. They let teams cycle to the outside and push back to the perimeter. It works but man sometimes you are watching the game just raging as the other team cycles in your zone for 2 minutes straight.
This is absolutely the correct assessment. It's pretty disgusting to see teams win games that way. But it works.

Have to give credit to Trotz though, his teams played possession hockey for most of his career and he adapted the system so much to make it fit this Isles team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Islanders play a way that can be super effective in the playoffs. Im sure Tavares wishes he never switched teams now...

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland

Kept Washington fans nervous wrecks in the playoffs when he was here with that strategy, even on their successful run.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Islanders play a way that can be super effective in the playoffs. Im sure Tavares wishes he never switched teams now...
It’s probably better for the Isles that he is no longer with them. If he had stayed it would be JT and the islanders. The other 22 guys would never get the credit of being good hockey players. The facts dont lie. But it has been an addition by subtraction. This isles team is better without him. The 11m saved will help sign key RFa’s and allow the isles be deeper in the line up. Plus he was the losing face of the snow years. There are times you just have to turn the page on players to go fwd. isles have done this. They are a well oiled machine under lou and Trotz

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
did you enjoy it when you're team got swept in the 2nd round?
No,but I sure enjoyed seeing the fans and media who predicted the isles would finish well out of a playoff spot, have to gag on those predictions in season 1 of the Lou & Trotz era :popcorn:

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad