New York Islanders are on a 17 game point streak (now ended by ANA)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
for what it’s worth I still think the Caps won the division. I was just pointing out that games in hand is an advantage.

As long as you get points in them. I like having the games done and in the books personally while the roster is as healthy as it will be.

It's too early to care though.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Not taking anything away from the Isles, they will more than likely be in first in the Metro soon enough but ROW doesn't mean much anymore. Starting this season Regulation Wins (RW) is the tie breaker.

So Bruins with 15 after tonight than everyone else:

View attachment 283055

I wonder why they are still listing ROW's at all anymore?

I think ROW is 2nd tiebreaker now.

Reactions: Sam Spade

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
for what it’s worth I still think the Caps won the division. I was just pointing out that games in hand is an advantage.

A game in hand is an advantage. 4 or 5 games in hand isn't an advantage. The only way a team gets 5 games ahead is by playing a grueling schedule with a lot of games packed into a short period of time. 4 games in 6 nights is a disadvantage over a team playing 3 games in 7 nights. In the case of the Islanders in addition to getting more time between games, they are also catching up in road games after a home heavy early schedule. Travel is hard on a team too.

The only advantage to games in hand is if you win them. Playing a full schedule with a lot of travel makes winning them harder.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
really felt this game and their next few games will show what their team is made of, I am sure after they got a 6 or 7 game winning streak game going they were really motivated, and in the regular season playing with that extra edge helps, now with that streak gone you will see how good the team is, they definitely lack another big scorer to be a real contender though

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A game in hand is an advantage. 4 or 5 games in hand isn't an advantage. The only way a team gets 5 games ahead is by playing a grueling schedule with a lot of games packed into a short period of time. 4 games in 6 nights is a disadvantage over a team playing 3 games in 7 nights. In the case of the Islanders in addition to getting more time between games, they are also catching up in road games after a home heavy early schedule. Travel is hard on a team too.

The only advantage to games in hand is if you win them. Playing a full schedule with a lot of travel makes winning them harder.

games in hand means there is points up for grabs available to one team. You can argue schedule and home and road games but the fact remains those are still potential points in the board that aren’t available to the team with more games played. I understand what you’re saying but games in hand is still an advantage.
If you’re bringing travel into it then you can argue no 82 game schedule is the same for any team. Winnipeg has a lot tougher traveling schedule than the teams in the metro.

agree to disagree

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
games in hand means there is points up for grabs available to one team. You can argue schedule and home and road games but the fact remains those are still potential points in the board that aren’t available to the team with more games played. I understand what you’re saying but games in hand is still an advantage.
If you’re bringing travel into it then you can argue no 82 game schedule is the same for any team. Winnipeg has a lot tougher traveling schedule than the teams in the metro.

agree to disagree

A bunch of games in hand are an opportunity. Not an advantage. They are games that are harder to win.

Travel is an issue. There are reasons why Winnipeg and the NYI are in different conferences.

I suppose one team playing 10 home games and another playing 10 road games could be considered equal, but I am not sure how

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
really felt this game and their next few games will show what their team is made of, I am sure after they got a 6 or 7 game winning streak game going they were really motivated, and in the regular season playing with that extra edge helps, now with that streak gone you will see how good the team is, they definitely lack another big scorer to be a real contender though

I don't think these next few games will say that much. Their home heavy and game light schedule helped them overperform a bit. A road heavy, game heavy schedule will help them underperform a bit. Big deal. The average of the two runs of schedule add up to a top 4 or 5 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad