New York Islanders Adidas Rebrand Concept

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not that I encourage this but there is no Adidas brand mark on these like there is on every other jersey they design. I think Adidas forces the 3 lines on the shoulders and/or pants similar to soccer jerseys.

New-Real-Madrid-Home-Kit-2014-15.jpg

juventus-15-16-home-kit-1.jpg

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
I have never seen a black hockey jersey that I liked. The closest is the Bruins and the Flyers, but the Flyers should be orange. Sharks, Stars, Lightning in black have always looked lame to me. As does this one.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Not that I encourage this but there is no Adidas brand mark on these like there is on every other jersey they design. I think Adidas forces the 3 lines on the shoulders and/or pants similar to soccer jerseys.

New-Real-Madrid-Home-Kit-2014-15.jpg

juventus-15-16-home-kit-1.jpg

Adidas has been making NCAA jerseys for a while now and none of them have the stripes. I tried to follow that idea.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not bad. I like the 4 stars and the 1972 in the crest. Wonder how the black jerseys would look with Isles Blue instead of Orange?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Its perfect!

The logo looks lopsided, just like the arena they are now calling home!

WELL DONE!

barclays.jpg

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I haven't paid too much attention to what the Isles were doing with their logo once they moved to Brooklyn. But they do need to change it since the classic logo is just Nassau and Suffolk counties and they don't play there anymore. I think if they expanded the logo to include Brooklyn (and Queens) and somehow moved the hockey stick to point to Barclays it would be in keeping with the classic logo. I like classic logos even though I hate the Islanders.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Immediately saw the M and thought Mets. What is different about these from the current ones?

Always find this somewhat funny. New jersey concepts for the Leafs, Wings, Habs, Bruins, Blackhawks, Rangers and Islanders I guess, are pointless. Nothing really changes:dunno:.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The logo looks lopsided, just like the arena they are now calling home!

That was my thought as well. The "NY" is too off center. There's also just too many weird elements to it, like the puck, the random orange patch at the bottom or the stars representing cups (do they re-design if they win again?).

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
Then what did you do?

Typed my username out in a fancy font.

He kind of has a point though... you basically swapped the blue for black and called it a 3rd. I'm not sure what else there is to comment really.

A black 3rd jersey is happening. But I would try something different from their main set. As a way of saying it's a new era for the Islanders.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Interesting, but if they've learned their lesson, leave the home/away alone and only mess with the 3rd.

The ONLY acceptable change to the home/aways would be the addition of Queens and Brooklyn to the Long Island.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
The Islander's classic logo may not be perfect but I still haven't seen anyone do it justice by attempting to redesign it. I think a very slight tweaking is the only way to improve it without making it look bad.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Not a fan of the new logo. Looks like something out of the 70s that you'd find tucked away in the attic. Retro can be cool sometimes but I feel I'd get tired of it pretty darn quick and want to go back to the standard.

Not really seeing a huge amount of difference in the homes & away. Mostly just removing the white laces and adding the Adidas logo. The blacks look the nicest but again, just really a color swap of the homes with black replacing dark blue... is anything else different?

Honestly, if you want to embrace a retro look, I'd keep the homes & aways pretty much similar to where they are now, and for the thirds try and build an updated take on the Fisherman:

515.jpg

Going for the 90s nostalgia instead of this weird 70s Mad Men nostalgia would be appealing to a lot more of the fanbase. The Navy Blue/Teal/Orange/White/Grey color scheme is certainly a unique one, and would be more fun to watch on 3rd jersey day than whatever "appeal to the Nets and Barclays" black jersey they think of next.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not a fan of the new logo. Looks like something out of the 70s that you'd find tucked away in the attic. Retro can be cool sometimes but I feel I'd get tired of it pretty darn quick and want to go back to the standard.

Not really seeing a huge amount of difference in the homes & away. Mostly just removing the white laces and adding the Adidas logo. The blacks look the nicest but again, just really a color swap of the homes with black replacing dark blue... is anything else different?

Honestly, if you want to embrace a retro look, I'd keep the homes & aways pretty much similar to where they are now, and for the thirds try and build an updated take on the Fisherman:

515.jpg

Going for the 90s nostalgia instead of this weird 70s Mad Men nostalgia would be appealing to a lot more of the fanbase. The Navy Blue/Teal/Orange/White/Grey color scheme is certainly a unique one, and would be more fun to watch on 3rd jersey day than whatever "appeal to the Nets and Barclays" black jersey they think of next.

I hate the fisherman colors.

Isles need to stick to Royal Blue, orange, and White.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I have never seen a black hockey jersey that I liked. The closest is the Bruins and the Flyers, but the Flyers should be orange. Sharks, Stars, Lightning in black have always looked lame to me. As does this one.
What about the Gretzky-era Kings?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The rebrand isn't a rebrand with the Adidas jersey. It's just transferring a logo, essentially and some minor tweaks if anything. No 3rds until after next season.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
As an outsider looking in, it looks basically the same as the current unis, but with tweaks to the logo. I'm sure the changes are more comprehensive than that, but such subtleties are lost on all but the most hardcore of fans:

"Man, they changed the piping from an eighth of an inch to 3 sixteenths and modded the orange hex code like mad!"

And the tweaks aren't good, IMO. It's not just that the immediate takeaway image is "My"... it's also that it has kind of a goofy, cartoonish aspect.

So, the impression I get is that you want to make the Islanders' unis... kinda sorta goofy?

The traditional logo makes it easier to see the NY. But hey, maybe black is the new orange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad