MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
My fav show of all time, but this would be a disaster I'm sure. I might be more interested if perhaps it was done True Detective style, and make it a seven or eight episode season with one overall story and keep it tight.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think they could do it right if they did it as a continuation of the mythology (not a reboot, but the next chapter of a show that never actually ended, which has somehow become accurate) with the entirety of the X Files history in place and have Mulder and Scully's successors in the X Files be unique yet similarly driven, who since it's Disney in 2023 will be cast for every reason other than fitting the role, so that won't happen. As such, the show will probably be super clunky and awkward and end up being an advertisement/PSA combo and will take no risks and thus be very boring and full of the same tropes as everything else on Disney these days. I TRULY hope that isn't the case. I love the X-Files mythology and even loved the later seasons, but I will enter this with extreme trepidation.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I still haven't finished the original run, we started out during the first wave of Covid but kinda semi-quit at the mid point of season 5.
You picked the right time to quit. The show got too goofy after that season when they moved to LA. They tried to be humorous all of a sudden which felt completely misplaced in X-Files.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
You picked the right time to quit. The show got too goofy after that season when they moved to LA. They tried to be humorous all of a sudden which felt completely misplaced in X-Files.

I think that a reason we started to check out was the whole shift in Maulders character and we couldn't really be botherd with another bait episode with his sister. Also the fact that Maulder outright rejects religious supernatural stuff was always wierd to me. The guy belives in literally any supernatural creature (not aliens) like Nessie, Chupacabra and Vampires but outright rejects stuff like a person having the power healing through god. I know it's pretty obvious that it was that way to give it to Scully who rejects stuff like that but belives in god but it's not written very well with the exception of her confession scene to the priest.

Reactions: TCTC

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The X-Files always had humorous episodes. In particular the episodes written by Darin Morgan are usually regarded as both fan favorites and also hilarious. Morgan wrote one episode in season 2 (Humbug) and three episodes in season 3 (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Caprophages, and the very best episode in the entire series - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose). Vince Gilligan (yes, that Vince Gilligan) also wrote some great, humorous episodes, such as Bad Blood, Small Potatoes, and Je Souhaite.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The X-Files always had humorous episodes. In particular the episodes written by Darin Morgan are usually regarded as both fan favorites and also hilarious. Morgan wrote one episode in season 2 (Humbug) and three episodes in season 3 (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Caprophages, and the very best episode in the entire series - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose). Vince Gilligan (yes, that Vince Gilligan) also wrote some great, humorous episodes, such as Bad Blood, Small Potatoes, and Je Souhaite.
Yeah, but they were sporadic and usually consistent with the tone you expect from X-Files. From season 6 onwards it almost felt like a parody.

Oct 18, 2006
I still haven't finished the original run, we started out during the first wave of Covid but kinda semi-quit at the mid point of season 5.
I’m pretty similar. I finished S6 but it was a grind, a real grind. The alien arc which I was absolutely glued to early days, has become a confusing mess. The shift to LA changed the whole dynamic of the show. I can’t see myself finishing it.

I hated Morgan’s episodes, and I know I was essentially alone in that because I read reviews and know how popular his episodes were. Could never understand it because to me humour in a show like this should’ve been subtle, not the driving force.

• Wow
Reactions: Hivemind

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The show lost most of its mystique with the move to LA. It's funny that the main reason they moved was to accommodate Duchovny only for him to quit two seasons later anyway.

I actually kind of liked Doggett though. I thought the character had potential and Robert Patrick was a good choice to portrait him. But the story just wasn't interesting enough anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad