New work desk

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
upload_2018-12-13_6-53-24.png

at least you could earn enough to get a place and pay for your own food and stuffed animals, @HFBCommenter

Reactions: HFBCommenter

member 157595

There's a lot of places in this country where you can live well on $51K/year. Some parts of Colorado are affordable.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
51,000? In Colorado?

when I got my first 'real' job, which paid me about 32k a year, i thought i was set.

I'd been living on minim wage for so long that to basically 2.5x my salary was like holy shit.

It's not hard to live comfortably as hell on 50k/yr. Even in parts of Colorado. My sister in law lives in Lakewood and has a nice little condo with a yard and is doing just fine.

Reactions: OmniCube

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
i mean it's expensive in the front range. and I suppose denver is expensive relative to the areas and states around it. But the average house price in Denver is something like $340k which is pretty reasonable considering the rest of the front range.

Boulder's median is about a million now. Lousville is closely approaching. The burbs of Denver are actually more expensive than Denver itself though.

It's all relative. It's definitely way cheaper to live in Phoenix AZ or something. But it's not unlivable here, sans Boulder.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
my parents bought their house in boulder in 1971 for about $140,000. They sold in 2017 for $817,000. All profit.

edit: 8v9=simpleMaths

member 157595

my parents bought their house in boulder in 1971 for about $140,000. They sold in 2017 for $817,000. All profit.

edit: 8v9=simpleMaths

Yep. Our realtor told us about a lady that bought a 4-bedroom in Somerville, MA in the 1970's for like $50,000. If you're not familiar with the area, in the 70's Somerville was Slumerville; SUPER ghetto and no one wanted to get anywhere near the area. Fast forward 4 decades, this lady recently sold the property to move in with family. She listed her property for somewhere around $1,200,000 and a developer bought it at listing price in less than a week.

Meanwhile, my parents in Central NY recently retired and are having a bitch of a time selling their house because there's no freaking demand and the property taxes are downright criminal (I live in a high-taxed state and my house has more than double the assessed value than theirs does but I pay less than 2/3 of what they pay). They worked damn hard and it pisses me off to see them go through this.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
when I got my first 'real' job, which paid me about 32k a year, i thought i was set.

I'd been living on minim wage for so long that to basically 2.5x my salary was like holy ****.

It's not hard to live comfortably as hell on 50k/yr. Even in parts of Colorado. My sister in law lives in Lakewood and has a nice little condo with a yard and is doing just fine.

Who the hell is going to coach him on how not to bomb an interview?

That’s not an enviable task.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Yep. Our realtor told us about a lady that bought a 4-bedroom in Somerville, MA in the 1970's for like $50,000. If you're not familiar with the area, in the 70's Somerville was Slumerville; SUPER ghetto and no one wanted to get anywhere near the area. Fast forward 4 decades, this lady recently sold the property to move in with family. She listed her property for somewhere around $1,200,000 and a developer bought it at listing price in less than a week.

Meanwhile, my parents in Central NY recently retired and are having a ***** of a time selling their house because there's no freaking demand and the property taxes are downright criminal (I live in a high-taxed state and my house has more than double the assessed value than theirs does but I pay less than 2/3 of what they pay). They worked damn hard and it pisses me off to see them go through this.

that's rough - i'm pretty ignorant to non-colorado markets (this is the only place i've owned property as an adult), but that's tough to swallow. Especially during what is still a good economic moment.

I have often thought about leaving the state, and maybe going somewhere on the east coast that has lower property values, so that I could own (nearly) outright. A mortgage of 20 or 30k or something sounds pretty nice, but i have no perspective of how difficult it is to sell a house in some of these places. Here, even though our deal fell through, it only took a few days to get an offer in, and it felt like we were waiting forever. I haven't really come across things in life that are more stressful than selling property and moving - partly (as i've said before) because i'm so introverted and not having a home base really f***s me up, but also because the complete unknown is scary. Real estate and contracts are so flimsy that it's really just spending months not knowing what the heck will happen.

How do you like it over there? We've thought about doing something in MA or NJ or somewhere over there. Not sure how well I'd adjust. I love the established older cities/towns, but don't want to be stuck in some trump-loving rural shithole that I can't sell a house in.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Who the hell is going to coach him on how not to bomb an interview?

That’s not an enviable task.

lmao, i dunno. i used to be pretty bad at interviews. i'm still not a great interviews. i get very stressed out in that environment.

but you just gotta practice a lot and try to approach with an attitude of "it doesn't really matter if i don't get this gig". at least that's what i've done.

but i get your point. 10 seconds is all it would probably take for the employer to know they'd never hire a man of that incredibly low caliber.

member 157595

that's rough - i'm pretty ignorant to non-colorado markets (this is the only place i've owned property as an adult), but that's tough to swallow. Especially during what is still a good economic moment.

It's devastating. My father is the most selfless man I've ever met and he worked way too f***ing hard to deal with this. I've suggested PA to him, as PA and DE are the only states in the NE US that don't completely blow for retirees. Eastern PA would put them at under a 5-hour drive to my house, and considering they want to spend some time with the incoming granddaughter, I think it's a good fit.

I have often thought about leaving the state, and maybe going somewhere on the east coast that has lower property values, so that I could own (nearly) outright. A mortgage of 20 or 30k or something sounds pretty nice, but i have no perspective of how difficult it is to sell a house in some of these places. Here, even though our deal fell through, it only took a few days to get an offer in, and it felt like we were waiting forever. I haven't really come across things in life that are more stressful than selling property and moving - partly (as i've said before) because i'm so introverted and not having a home base really ****s me up, but also because the complete unknown is scary. Real estate and contracts are so flimsy that it's really just spending months not knowing what the heck will happen.

I agree about real estate being scary. Being introverted's not going to hurt you much if you have a home office IMO. I'm lucky enough to have really terrific neighbors and they eased our transition.

How do you like it over there? We've thought about doing something in MA or NJ or somewhere over there. Not sure how well I'd adjust. I love the established older cities/towns, but don't want to be stuck in some trump-loving rural ****hole that I can't sell a house in.

Within 2 weeks of closing a sale on our house (which required bidding over asking price and putting a LOT of money down) we started getting solicited by developers that wanted to buy us out.

There's a lot to like here and there's a lot not to like. The cost of living is high because the concentration of prestigious higher education and health care is extraordinary; in short, the demand is high and the supply is low. If you like having a home office you'd fit in well here, because commuting by car ranges from annoying to terrible and the MBTA (transit system) isn't as widespread as it should be. The weather here is better than people think it is. Taxes are high but definitely not as bad as NY, CT or NJ. There's a lot to see and do. I'm apolitical but we cover all political spectra. Our governor is a Republican, and those that run with a fiscal platform can and will succeed here, but no politician with a far-right social platform has a snowball's chance in hell of being elected to serious public office in this area. We do a lot of outdoors stuff here and we're in better physical shape than most other states. Also, f*** the Patriots and f*** the Bruins even more.

As to whether or not you'd adjust, it depends on what you like to do, what you're willing and able to spend and what you're looking for.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Once the weather gets warmer i'll probably do a little mini east coast tour and check some places out. I like Philly's old portions, and it was still reasonable as far as cost v. big city. But I don't want to get stabbed to dead getting whole foods after dark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad