New Western Teams, how are they doing so far?

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I know....OMG they have to bus to places...sounds just like the eastern conference of the AHL which is coincidently where they played last year I mean its not like Norfolk bussed anywhere.....TOOL!!!

They asked Tim Jackman who has played in the NHL and not the AHL, of course he's going to say travel sucks cuz he has the NHL to compare it too.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Is that meaningful? Were you trying to make a point about the Cali teams vs the rest of the league?

Overall there aren't a lot of Thursday games in the AHL or ECHL. Most teams would prefer Fri/Sat over Thur/Sat. More income and less expenses.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
We went to a Barracuda game back in November. The official number was like 3500, no way there was more than 1000 people in the stands. You could here the refs talking to the players.

On Monday there is a game at 13:15 in the afternoon. I am going to go, tickets are 8.99 on StubHub (+$4 in fees), but I don't expect more than 500 people in the stands. 1:15 on a weekday ?

They have to be losing money, staffing the arena has to cost more than they are making in ticket sales.

Sacramento? Or San Francisco if they build a new arena there? Its never going to be Oracle, unless its after the Warriors leave.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Is that meaningful? Were you trying to make a point about the Cali teams vs the rest of the league?

Overall there aren't a lot of Thursday games in the AHL or ECHL. Most teams would prefer Fri/Sat over Thur/Sat. More income and less expenses.

Except the Florida Never blades(oh guess I can't use that anymore...damnit lol) Seems like all ECHL games on Thursday are in the South. Elmira did have one this week and I'm not sure why if its because they have a Monday afternoon home game or what not. They also have a game Sunday though so I guess it makes sense though I don't understand why the Thursday couldn't have been on Wednesday.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
We went to a Barracuda game back in November. The official number was like 3500, no way there was more than 1000 people in the stands. You could here the refs talking to the players.

On Monday there is a game at 13:15 in the afternoon. I am going to go, tickets are 8.99 on StubHub (+$4 in fees), but I don't expect more than 500 people in the stands. 1:15 on a weekday ?

They have to be losing money, staffing the arena has to cost more than they are making in ticket sales.

Sacramento? Or San Francisco if they build a new arena there? Its never going to be Oracle, unless its after the Warriors leave.

I'm admittedly too lazy to dig situation by situation but I'd have to guess most NHL owned AHL teams lose a decent amount of $$$$. To them its really no big deal. Easier to do that then pay an affiliation fee and all that. A lot of minor league teams though don't make money regardless.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Monday is a holiday...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I'm admittedly too lazy to dig situation by situation but I'd have to guess most NHL owned AHL teams lose a decent amount of $$$$. To them its really no big deal. Easier to do that then pay an affiliation fee and all that. A lot of minor league teams though don't make money regardless.

If AHL teams owned by NHL teams lose a decent amount of money affiliation fees wouldn't play any role in that because they wouldn't pay any...

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Monday is a holiday...

The Reading Royals (ECHL) also have a day game on the Martin Luther King holiday. They promote it within the local schools, and do cheap kids tickets with purchase of an adult ticket. It has been fairly successful for them over the last few years. A lot of people don't have any special plans for the holiday, and kids and government workers have the day off. Probably better than a Wednesday night game, if the sales department works hard at selling it to the right audience.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
Yeah, I get the day off, that's why I am going to go.
I don't feel that Marketing for the Barracuda is very strong, admittedly I am in San Francisco, not San Jose.

The SF Bulls had the same marketing issues I felt. No One knew anything about the Bulls. They should have had $10 sit anywhere tickets and $3 beers and Hipster night and they would have sold out every game. Instead, well crickets, $20 parking and $60 tickets.

The Barracuda game I went to was sad. The Stadium announcer mixed up team names and made mistakes. No mascot or crowd engagement at all. It's a different game and different experience when there are 1000 people in the stands of an 18k areana.

I wonder how the players feel when they come out and the stands are empty. Do they notice or even care?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Monday is a holiday...

Federal holiday. My guess is that 75% of Silicon Valley companies are working. Expecting to have 1-2 rows to myself. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I get the day off, that's why I am going to go.
I don't feel that Marketing for the Barracuda is very strong, admittedly I am in San Francisco, not San Jose.

The SF Bulls had the same marketing issues I felt. No One knew anything about the Bulls. They should have had $10 sit anywhere tickets and $3 beers and Hipster night and they would have sold out every game. Instead, well crickets, $20 parking and $60 tickets.

The Barracuda game I went to was sad. The Stadium announcer mixed up team names and made mistakes. No mascot or crowd engagement at all. It's a different game and different experience when there are 1000 people in the stands of an 18k areana.

I wonder how the players feel when they come out and the stands are empty. Do they notice or even care?

The Barracuda have a mascot (in the wings); final fan voting on name in progress (down to Razor and Frenzy). Guessing he'll debut in the next few weeks. But definitely should add to the game feeling.

The PA announcer (who complained to me he has a script he has to follow for all announcements, unlike the ECHL Bulls where he previously worked and had more freedom on how to make announcements)? Or the two in-game hosts (Kalleigh and John)?

WRT marketing, they are doing a lot of cross-promotion with Sharks fans (seen a few TV ads during Sharks games; 1-2 Barracuda info tables at Sharks games as well). They also have signage, pocket game schedules (actually had AHL only at one point as no one had brought over NHL pocket schedules) and attention at the practice facility (with a girls tournament at Sharks Ice this weekend, would not be surprised to have a bunch of teams get group tickets to Monday's AHL game and/or NHL game later in the evening).

They are doing a lot of promotions for the Barracuda. I feel that they've been "getting their ducks in a row" and "working out the kinks" in the first half of the season (new group of folks, not Sharks employees, hired to do tickets, etc.). There's also the end of the NFL season and other potential conflicts ending that might allow for more folks to attend.

They had a "show your Shark ticket and get into late AHL game for $12" promo last week. (As there was about 90 minutes between games, they actually had some food trucks come in to help feed the folks between games. I passed as my knees were complaining.) There was a bobblehead available for that game (Shark alum who was signing them before the game). That night the team was inspired, not only from the announced 7k+ crowd, but the San Jose Earthquakes (unofficial) cheer squad, the Ultras, were in the house and cheered through the entire game; sounds like they might come back -- definitely a good noise thing (would have joined in if I knew what they were chanting).

A couple more bobblehead nights (sat near one young fan who was trying to convince (grand)parents to take him to next one). They've distributed knit scarf and a few other things to fans. Lots of giveaways scheduled.

(I was given more Barracuda tickets to give away for Monday's game. With Raffi Torres on conditioning stint, there has been more interest. PM me a few business days in advance if you want to go to a game -- need name that matches ID to leave tickets at will call; may be able to get you free tickets.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My guess is schools are not in session...actually, that's not really a guess.

Don't know the exact stats, but way more than 50% of family have both parents that work. So, unless the parents have to take the day to be with kids, those kids won't be around.

(I know a lot of folks up in the mountains for the three day weekends, playing in the snow that was nonexistent last year.)

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
They asked Tim Jackman who has played in the NHL and not the AHL, of course he's going to say travel sucks cuz he has the NHL to compare it too.

Is this the same Tim Jackman who has played for both the Syracuse Crunch and the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is this the same Tim Jackman who has played for both the Syracuse Crunch and the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL?
I think that was just a typo/autocorrect and meant to type now rather than not.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Don't know the exact stats, but way more than 50% of family have both parents that work. So, unless the parents have to take the day to be with kids, those kids won't be around.

(I know a lot of folks up in the mountains for the three day weekends, playing in the snow that was nonexistent last year.)

5872 is what the box score says, well over their average (4155) so far this season.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
5872 is what the box score says, well over their average (4155) so far this season.

It was a great game, way more people than I expected, and the crowd really seemed into it.

A much better product than the last game I went to.

Still missing the "Bakersfield Full Strength" so the Crowd can show "and they still suck"

I hope they can get a TShirt Cannon and a mascot.

I am glad I went, it was fun.

I still call padding on the attendance numbers....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I think that was just a typo/autocorrect and meant to type now rather than not.

Ok so to say it the proper way it should have read....they asked tim jackman who has played in the NHL and now in the AHL.

That's fine except that he played in syracuse and san antonio long before his time in san diego now and also before his time in the NHL...so my original statement still stands...he played in the AHL where they travel by bus especially in syracuse. What did he expect...limos,private planes and party buses?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Reading Royals (ECHL) also have a day game on the Martin Luther King holiday. They promote it within the local schools, and do cheap kids tickets with purchase of an adult ticket. It has been fairly successful for them over the last few years. A lot of people don't have any special plans for the holiday, and kids and government workers have the day off. Probably better than a Wednesday night game, if the sales department works hard at selling it to the right audience.

There was one here today. I didn't go but its one of those sketchy holidays where a lot of people are still working. I'm surprised the attendance's today weren't terrible around the league. Probably better than a typical Sunday as well.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It was a great game, way more people than I expected, and the crowd really seemed into it.

A much better product than the last game I went to.

Still missing the "Bakersfield Full Strength" so the Crowd can show "and they still suck"

I hope they can get a TShirt Cannon and a mascot.

I am glad I went, it was fun.

I still call padding on the attendance numbers....

Mascot is happening. Final fan voting (down to Razor vs Frenzy) in progress. Guessing he may debut after ASG.

PA announcements are scripted, and full strength is not one of the things allowed. :dunno:

WRT attendance -- that's paid+issued tickets, not attendees. :sarcasm:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Mascot is happening. Final fan voting (down to Razor vs Frenzy) in progress. Guessing he may debut after ASG.

PA announcements are scripted, and full strength is not one of the things allowed. :dunno:

WRT attendance -- that's paid+issued tickets, not attendees. :sarcasm:

AHL only allows the PA announcer to announce a team is at full strength if the penalty clock is broken...I think this is also the NHL's rule too.

And all AHL teams count paid tickets as their attendance numbers, and some count free distributed tickets (like ones given to charities) in the count too. The WorSharks did not count free distributed tickets unless they were redeemed. I have no first hand knowledge how the Barracuda do it, but based on twitter and message board posts they are counting just redeemed free distributed tickets also.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Ok so to say it the proper way it should have read....they asked tim jackman who has played in the NHL and now in the AHL.

That's fine except that he played in syracuse and san antonio long before his time in san diego now and also before his time in the NHL...so my original statement still stands...he played in the AHL where they travel by bus especially in syracuse. What did he expect...limos,private planes and party buses?

You're exaggerating. All Jackman said is travel is a little difficult for us, but it's good bonding. He also is saying this as a person who has played in the NHL and hasn't played in the AHL in 7 years. I'm surprised he was as positive as he was. You seem butt hurt over AHL coming to California.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You're exaggerating. All Jackman said is travel is a little difficult for us, but it's good bonding. He also is saying this as a person who has played in the NHL and hasn't played in the AHL in 7 years. I'm surprised he was as positive as he was. You seem butt hurt over AHL coming to California.

RIGHT!!!!!! I'm totally and completely tore up about the AHL moving those teams to California....LOL. YUP coming from a guy who is a CHICAGO WOLVES season ticketholder and has complained on here many times about the eastern dominance as far as teams in the eastern united states goes...AND a guy who's Chicago Wolves team routinely played teams in Los Angeles,Long Beach, San Francisco and Phoenix back in the old IHL. Not too mention that same guy who blasted his own team both on here and on twitter for not playing any of the teams on the west coast this year while 5 of the 7 teams in the division are playing those teams, including a team like Charlotte who is all the way across the country from the west coast. Yup totally tore up about it...and please next time you make a comment to or about me leave me out of your sick weird fantasy about my butt ok? I don't play that way.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
RIGHT!!!!!! I'm totally and completely tore up about the AHL moving those teams to California....LOL. YUP coming from a guy who is a CHICAGO WOLVES season ticketholder and has complained on here many times about the eastern dominance as far as teams in the eastern united states goes...AND a guy who's Chicago Wolves team routinely played teams in Los Angeles,Long Beach, San Francisco and Phoenix back in the old IHL. Not too mention that same guy who blasted his own team both on here and on twitter for not playing any of the teams on the west coast this year while 5 of the 7 teams in the division are playing those teams, including a team like Charlotte who is all the way across the country from the west coast. Yup totally tore up about it...and please next time you make a comment to or about me leave me out of your sick weird fantasy about my butt ok? I don't play that way.

If you're not, then why are you taking a completely logical response that Jackman had to a reporters question and exagerate a non-issue?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad