New Top Level United States Major Junior League

blueshirts1488

Jul 13, 2014
I posted this in another thread but here's my outlook...

Leagues by level of play:

1. USHL (Hands down top level of competition)

2. NAHL/USPHL
-Top couple teams in each league would compete vs. bottom 4 USHL teams easily

3. EHL
-The USHL of Division 3 hockey, best exposure for D3 schools.. Any D1 guys are usually very young in this league and move onto NTDP, USHL, USPHL, NAHL.

4. Big drop of for all other junior leagues

For exposure to Hockey East and Atlantic Hockey, USPHL is hands down number 1; for recruiters it is an easy hour drive... Whereas USHL/NAHL schools have to spend $$$$ to travel and watch. USPHL also offers many more showcase for schools in east. In every league certain organizations are better than others that develop kids for college and pro.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to make the USHL become even more of a powerhouse league you would disperse the NTDP and move those players throughout the USHL teams. It would automatically improve the already high end pace and save USA Hockey money.

-Sincerely, a player that's made his way around the junior ropes

spelman96

Aug 11, 2014
I think what the guy wants is like prospect league to feed into the ushl because no one would be drafted or even scouted from a brand league. Also who would start this league it's big bucks and a lots of time.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
A new top level United States major junior league MUST be formed. It would keep US prospects and products close to home, promote USA hockey, generate revenue, and become a major feeder for NHL drafts.

This new league would have players from ages 15-20, scattered across strictly the USA, and feature an import draft strictly for American born players at ages 14-16...these players shall also only be from each team's "territory", like territorial rights, for example, if a prospect is born in Foxboro he must be selected by the Foxboro team

The league shall feature the 18 teams from the USHL and brand new teams across the nation (Staten Island, Foxboro, Jersey Shore, Lancaster, outside of DC, Hampton Roads, NY State, several teams down south, and several teams in SoCal). The league shall be split into 2 separate leagues.

Some may see this league as pointless but it will popularize hockey in the US and hopefully make the US a top power for years to come...seeing what the 94 World Cup did for USA soccer is amazing and I think this would be the answer to making the USA a consistent hockey power (not that we aren't, but can always majorly improve)

What you really need to build this league are the US-based cities in the WHL... and perhaps the ones in the OHL, too.

CHL and WHL would listen to this because their small market teams are threatened by the status quo.

Of course, this league DOES have to bypass the NCAA (which may be changing enough that they might accomodate something, but that requires some breath-holding that I'm not prepared to do yet). That's paramount. That's really hard to do when college coaches have so much power within USA Hockey.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
In order to get close to the CHL, you would have to start paying junior players salaries. If you do that, they lose their college eligibility. This would essentially kill College Hockey, which is the exact opposite of what USA Hockey wants.

USA Hockey is focusing on getting their players scholarships and practically forcing them to go the NCAA D1 route. I dont think USA hockey would want this.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
USA Hockey is focusing on getting their players scholarships and practically forcing them to go the NCAA D1 route. I dont think USA hockey would want this.

It should.

I do suspect you're right about USA Hockey not wanting... but will college athletics survive the next few lawsuits? Maybe... but every sport that's not football or basketball needs to keep an eye out on the horizon of all this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad