New Top Level United States Major Junior League

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
A new top level United States major junior league MUST be formed. It would keep US prospects and products close to home, promote USA hockey, generate revenue, and become a major feeder for NHL drafts.

This new league would have players from ages 15-20, scattered across strictly the USA, and feature an import draft strictly for American born players at ages 14-16...these players shall also only be from each team's "territory", like territorial rights, for example, if a prospect is born in Foxboro he must be selected by the Foxboro team

The league shall feature the 18 teams from the USHL and brand new teams across the nation (Staten Island, Foxboro, Jersey Shore, Lancaster, outside of DC, Hampton Roads, NY State, several teams down south, and several teams in SoCal). The league shall be split into 2 separate leagues.

Some may see this league as pointless but it will popularize hockey in the US and hopefully make the US a top power for years to come...seeing what the 94 World Cup did for USA soccer is amazing and I think this would be the answer to making the USA a consistent hockey power (not that we aren't, but can always majorly improve)

maketrades

May 30, 2014
Awesome then the winner of the Memorial Cup could play the winner of this league in a Canada vs USA clash and we'd win every year. :yo::yo:

Canada FTW :yo::yo:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
A new top level United States major junior league MUST be formed. It would keep US prospects and products close to home, promote USA hockey, generate revenue, and become a major feeder for NHL drafts.

This new league would have players from ages 15-20, scattered across strictly the USA, and feature an import draft strictly for American born players at ages 14-16...these players shall also only be from each team's "territory", like territorial rights, for example, if a prospect is born in Foxboro he must be selected by the Foxboro team

The league shall feature the 18 teams from the USHL and brand new teams across the nation (Staten Island, Foxboro, Jersey Shore, Lancaster, outside of DC, Hampton Roads, NY State, several teams down south, and several teams in SoCal). The league shall be split into 2 separate leagues.

Some may see this league as pointless but it will popularize hockey in the US and hopefully make the US a top power for years to come...seeing what the 94 World Cup did for USA soccer is amazing and I think this would be the answer to making the USA a consistent hockey power (not that we aren't, but can always majorly improve)

So what's the point of the draft?

Jacob8hockey*

It would be interesting if they could get the USHL in with the CHL for the memorial cup.

The USHL might be a little weak because of all its teams but it would still be good for both leagues.

EDIT: I lied, there are about the same amount of teams that the CHL leagues have. I always thought they had a huge amount for some reason.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You would have to the following 3 things to try get the USHL on par with the CHL. Its not very likely these three things will happen.

1)Somehow make all American players and teams, playing in the CHL play in the USHL
2)Stop players from going to D1 until they are 20 or 21
3)Make good players that still want to play High School Hockey in Minnesota, Michigan and Mass decide to leave their hometowns to play Juniors.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The problem with a major junior league is that the players get paid, making them ineligible to play NCAA hockey. Our NCAA is the parallel league to Canada's Major Junior Leagues.

I also think the USHL is an incredible strong league. Very underrated.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think the CHL is good enough. Wouldn't mind seeing some cities in the northern states getting teams, but I don't think the talent level in the CHL (and by extension, this new US hockey league) needs to be diluted.

I realize the WHL has at least one American team, but wouldn't mind seeing some from the OHL and the Q.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And what of the American teams in the CHL? Some of which are already the best in the O and W. This won't work, for a number of reasons.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
It improves the USHL, I certainly don't view the USHL as anything close to the CHL, this would attempt to do that, keep sour prospects home as well

In order to get close to the CHL, you would have to start paying junior players salaries. If you do that, they lose their college eligibility. This would essentially kill College Hockey, which is the exact opposite of what USA Hockey wants.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I don't see a professional junior league ever gaining traction because of the NCAA, which dominates all amateur athletics in America (economically, culturally and politically).

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

It would run into the same issue as the USHL. The best 16-18 year olds are on the USNDP and the best 19-20 year olds play NCAA. And a good number play CHL.

I cannot see the ability to attract players from the USNDP and NCAA, so as a watered down league its not likely to attract CHL bound players.

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
In order to get close to the CHL, you would have to start paying junior players salaries. If you do that, they lose their college eligibility. This would essentially kill College Hockey, which is the exact opposite of what USA Hockey wants.
One day I'd like to see a very popular NCAA hockey than, teams in the BIG10, SEC, PAC 12, ACC, and all other big schools...I can see Syracuse and Rutgers having good programs, and take the USC-UCLA rivalry to ice, maybe even Duke-UNC to ice one day

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
One day I'd like to see a very popular NCAA hockey than, teams in the BIG10, SEC, PAC 12, ACC, and all other big schools...I can see Syracuse and Rutgers having good programs, and take the USC-UCLA rivalry to ice, maybe even Duke-UNC to ice one day

Never going to happen in anyone on here's lifetime. When NCAA pays athletes, which I think they should (that's another topic), then the USHL can pay its players and possibly the quality of play will increase. Until then, it's CHL > USHL and the rest of American junior hockey.

Jackw5

Mar 21, 2011
Sheffield
I think the CHL is good enough. Wouldn't mind seeing some cities in the northern states getting teams, but I don't think the talent level in the CHL (and by extension, this new US hockey league) needs to be diluted.

I realize the WHL has at least one American team, but wouldn't mind seeing some from the OHL and the Q.

be good if the qmjhl add a team in new england again and then they might be able to persuade more players from new england

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Plenty of options for American kids as it is. I don't think we need another league. If an American kid is good and wants to try to go pro right away he will play in the CHL. If he wants to stay college eligible he will go to the USHL or Canadian Tier 2.

The CHL is spectator driven and the teams operate on huge budgets. I don't see teams like this working in New England especially in some newly formed league.

Things are fine as is we don't need to change them.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Hate to quote, or even link this guy because I disagree with alot he says, but:

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=27582
http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=27460

The USHL is right there with Major Junior. There really isnt as much of a difference as people think. The USPHL is as close as you are going to get on the east coast. Too many pro teams to have a free to play system there. And even with the Pay to play system, there are at least 4 teams in the USPHL that could compete in the USHL.

Dont agree with me? The Hitmen lost to the U18 National team 2-1... The same National team that did pretty well in the USHL last year (EDIT: Just found it... they went 19-5 last year): http://www.usantdp.com/schedule/team_instance/494579?subseason=120760

And the Hitmen werent even the best team in their league.

Even if you disagree with me, the others here pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding players being paid and NCAA eligibility, so it would never happen.

Last edited:

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011

The Big Ten is already in college hockey. With them you have HockeyEast, ECAC, WCHA; all powerhouse conferences with major rivalries. BU v BC, Michigan v Michigan St, Minnesota v Wisconsin just to name a few. College Hockey has great traditions and the talent level continues to grow. Something like 1/3 of the NHL has come from the college ranks.

If the US ever wants to threaten Canada in popular non-professional hockey, it will come from the NCAA, not another juniors league.

Dec 13, 2010
I understand the desire for this sort of thing from a fan standpoint hoping for USA Junior Hockey to raise its profile, but unfortunately right now that's seemingly unrealistic.

At the moment, it's a pipedream for the East Coast to produce a Tier II/Tier I junior hockey league because of economics. Most of the Tier III teams out here, even after collecting tuition, are losing money every year. Believe me, we'd all love to have 1000 fans show up to our USPHL games, but it's an unrealistic goal right now when the markets all have so much going on. Not only does every USPHL market have professional hockey, they're all in metro areas where there's no lack of entertainment. The NAHL works because you don't have as many options in Wichita Falls, Topeka, Janesville, Aberdeen, etc..and most of the divisions (outside of the South which has Wenatchee for who-knows-what reason) have relatively low travel costs. USHL works because they're smaller markets (though not as small as most NAHL) and the product is top-notch.

USPHL is, in my eyes and the eyes of a lot of others, on the same level as the NAHL. The Hitmen, Bruins, and Kings would have been in the top 6-7 teams in the NAHL and could have all competed for that championship title. Those top teams from the USPHL could have also competed in the USHL, though not at as high a level. They wouldn't embarrass themselves, we'll put it that way.

The other problem is that, in order to have another league on the level of the USHL there needs to just be more players of that caliber. There's a reason that the next best choices, the NAHL and USPHL, are not as good. There's not enough good players to house 3 leagues on the level of the USHL (like you have in the CHL). I'm sure if you took all the best players out of the NAHL and USPHL and reduced it to 14 teams or so, you'd have a league that could compete with the USHL, but that's again unrealistic. You're not convincing kids who play for the Boston Jr Bruins or Jersey Hitmen to pack up and move to Wenatchee, Washington. They'd rather pay the $10,000 and be seen by scouts all over Massachusetts. Better investment long-term, since they're sure to get some scholarship offers out of playing for BJB.

In a perfect world, USA Hockey has all the money in the world and doesn't mind funding a 2nd Tier I league on the East Coast that is sure to lose some money but has all the rest of the good talent in the country. For now, let's enjoy the USHL and NCAA hockey (which is really freakin' good, by the way) and continue to watch the USPHL develop as the top East Coast league. I think this Premier league is going to raise its profile in a big way over the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad