New System, New Stats, New Expectations

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that each and every individual will be asked to be doing DRASTICALLY different things under Horachek than under Randy Carlyle?

Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that this will lead to different players doing different things, which will bring different outcomes on the ice?

Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that this will change the negative stats that have piled up in the first 40 games?

Can we, as a forum community, come together start to evaluate the team based on what they're being asked to do, now, and not what they were being asked to do before?

Win, or lose, this team will be different than the one Randy Carlyle iced. As a true fan of this team, a bit of an optimist, and one who cant stand the volumes of negativity and unnecessary BS that people spout off, can we please start to evaluate the NEW Toronto Maple Leafs after their surgery?

Think of the firing of RC like a Breast Augmentation Surgery. We look better, and hopefully we perform better too. So lets stop talking about the saggy-ness and ugliness of the past. The team got some confidence back. A little more pep, a better attitude and a whole lot more pleasing to watch as well.

We are the NEW and IMPROVED Toronto Maple Leafs. Let's talk about them as such, let's evaluate them as such. Please.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
This forum is a joke. 1 game erases 3 years of choking. I dont give a **** if the coach and system are different. This exact same core.

Kessel and Phaneuf still have no heart, and will slump sometime within this season. This team will not win a cup with this core.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This forum is a joke. 1 game erases 3 years of choking. I dont give a **** if the coach and system are different. This exact same core.

Kessel and Phaneuf still have no heart, and will slump sometime within this season. This team will not win a cup with this core.

That's the spirit.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that each and every individual will be asked to be doing DRASTICALLY different things under Horachek than under Randy Carlyle?

Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that this will lead to different players doing different things, which will bring different outcomes on the ice?

Can we, as a forum community, come together and understand that this will change the negative stats that have piled up in the first 40 games?

Can we, as a forum community, come together start to evaluate the team based on what they're being asked to do, now, and not what they were being asked to do before?

Win, or lose, this team will be different than the one Randy Carlyle iced. As a true fan of this team, a bit of an optimist, and one who cant stand the volumes of negativity and unnecessary BS that people spout off, can we please start to evaluate the NEW Toronto Maple Leafs after their surgery?

Think of the firing of RC like a Breast Augmentation Surgery. We look better, and hopefully we perform better too. So lets stop talking about the saggy-ness and ugliness of the past. The team got some confidence back. A little more pep, a better attitude and a whole lot more pleasing to watch as well.

We are the NEW and IMPROVED Toronto Maple Leafs. Let's talk about them as such, let's evaluate them as such. Please.

Refreshing post to read - thanks for the positivity. As ingrained as some of my grudges are against certain players, I like the change and am curious to see if Horachek can get them to play "hard smart" hockey and whether they keep playing it after they have any success.

If Horacheck can change their terrible habits he will go where no man has gone before with this group. But I am fine with waiting it out - its a win-win either way.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let me get this right, we're doing a "Hands Around The World", "Brand New Day" thing because Peter Horacek's Leafs won a regular season game at home on a Friday night and looked like a respectable hockey team?

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
If this team can make the playoffs all is forgiven and I will remove and destroy my Tank Commander badge...

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
One thing that will change is everyone's PPG, its going down!

Doubt it if they remain using a 5 man man attack or break out from their end and utilize gards and rielly's speed. We all like to say the leafs were a rush team but how often is it effective ? pp still has the same guys on it also.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
New System?

Horachek said himself he will be changing the system minimally.

MrLegend28*

Wow players might slump?? I thought every player avgd a ppg.

Also the leafs won't win?? 30 teams 1 cup. 29 teams won't win. Guess the 29 teams who don't win don't have the core..

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Then why are you a fan of this team? If you have such a pessimistic perspective, why be a fan? Why spend the effort on these boards? Honestly, we live in a society now where some people just want to ***** and complain about everything. Evidenced by the many videos of protesters being asked what their protesting and having no f-ing clue.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
They played well last night, but they did when Randy first took over too. I am not going to jump aboard to pronounce this as a changed team just as of yet.

Let's let the season play out before we can say this is a changed team. 1 good game doesn't earn you that distinction, they have to do that night in and night out.

MrLegend28*

Then why are you a fan of this team? If you have such a pessimistic perspective, why be a fan? Why spend the effort on these boards? Honestly, we live in a society now where some people just want to ***** and complain about everything. Evidenced by the many videos of protesters being asked what their protesting and having no f-ing clue.

Its the in thing. If you're negative then you win either way. You're either right, or the team does well ans you're happy. And true fans don't care about their non sense so they come to forums to spew it

Its a rinse repeat cycle. No accountability.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
then why are you a fan of this team? If you have such a pessimistic perspective, why be a fan? Why spend the effort on these boards? Honestly, we live in a society now where some people just want to ***** and complain about everything. Evidenced by the many videos of protesters being asked what their protesting and having no f-ing clue.

why the **** are you a fan? You just want to see this team run to the ground year after year.

for a decade this team has done nothing. These exact same ****ing players have colapsed 3 ****ing years in a ****ing row. OF COURSE IM GOING TO ***** AND COMPLAIN ABOUT A TEAM THAT HAS DONE NOTHING IN THE PAST ****ING DECADE.

blind leaf fans support everything the leafs do. you must really think changing the coach has made us stanley cup favorites. with no changes to the players at all. the same players who dont give 100% effort every night, the same players who have **** the bed the past 3 years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
why the **** are you a fan? You just want to see this team run to the ground year after year.

for a decade this team has done nothing. These exact same ****ing players have colapsed 3 ****ing years in a ****ing row. OF COURSE IM GOING TO ***** AND COMPLAIN ABOUT A TEAM THAT HAS DONE NOTHING IN THE PAST ****ING DECADE.

blind leaf fans support everything the leafs do. you must really think changing the coach has made us stanley cup favorites. with no changes to the players at all. the same players who dont give 100% effort every night, the same players who have **** the bed the past 3 years.

That's the spirit.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's still going to time to shake off the grime of Carlyle, but they're off to a good start.

I like how Horacheck states that he doesn't like prevent style hockey when having the Lead, one of Carlyle's biggest problems, and he had a lot of them.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

If you're really that butt hurt about the last decade, I suggest you never watch a Leafs game again, or at least until they are a better team. For the sake of the rest of the fanbase, jump off the bandwagon.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
They played well last night, but they did when Randy first took over too. I am not going to jump aboard to pronounce this as a changed team just as of yet.

Let's let the season play out before we can say this is a changed team. 1 good game doesn't earn you that distinction, they have to do that night in and night out.

Ron Wilson 29-28-0-7
Randy Carlyle 6-9-0-3

They scored 39 goals and gave up 62 goals in the 18 games when Randy took over. They got shut out 4 times in those 18 games. Their possession numbers got worse. Their shots/game dropped and their shots against/game rose. The Leafs didn't play better when they hired Carlyle, they played worse. The issue is that they came off a long losing streak when they fired Wilson that was never going to be a sustainable stretch of ineptitude.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
It's still going to time to shake off the grime of Carlyle, but they're off to a good start.

I like how Horacheck states that he doesn't like prevent style hockey when having the Lead, one of Carlyle's biggest problems, and he had a lot of them.

All the change has done from Carlyle hockey to more of a puck possession hockey based on the not so new 5-5-5 hockey that Horacheck is employing is that the players are now set up to play to there strengths which is there speed & skill. 60 % of 5-5-5 hockey is based around skating both with the puck and without it especially offensively that will make up the none existent cycle game they were playing before.

Ironically this will be a lot more fun for the players to play even though it will require more effort from everybody. It's always fun to play a skating game that will involve effort from everyone to execute than the stagnate, stretch pass, chip & chase grind hockey that often leads to less skating and more physical abuse.

This change doesn't change the long term focus of where the team needs to get if they want to compete for the cup. They require a few more pieces in hire end quality depth. Rather that comes from development of young guys or trade / UFA one thing for sure the change will lead to getting a better understanding of what you have and that's important moving forward.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
If you're really that butt hurt about the last decade, I suggest you never watch a Leafs game again, or at least until they are a better team. For the sake of the rest of the fanbase, jump off the bandwagon.

im curious, where were you a week ago when everyone here was calling for a tank (it seems those people are gone or have changed their minds now)?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

1. None of the players have been here for the entire last decade, none of the significant management have. The majority of the players haven't been around for the last 3 years (granted several pieces of the core have) and there has been significant changes in drafting, development, depth players, no more fighters etc.

2) I'm not a blind supporter and I still want to see changes made with players. This team is very imperfect and this fanbase has become equally so with the level of vitriol that you seem to be a good example of. That being said winning teams don't just happen overnight. The coach was an issue, it was addressed. Their systems seem to be working better, but it's only been 2 games. Noone is saying their a cup favorite lol. But clearly "putting words in my mouth" is a great way to make your argument look irrelevant.

I would rather see management make decisive responsible decisions rather than the knee jerk reactions you advocate for and have put us into this mess in the first place.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Lets get one thing straight, the new ''system'' Horacheck is going to employ is simply correcting the past deffeciencys of this team...

Remember Kyle Dubas? This guy has broken down analytically everything wrong with this team and Management has told Horacheck, the coaching staff and even the players what they have been doing wrong and how to fix it.

The new system is all on management IMO, but obviously that is not a fact, just what i got out of shannys PC and his radio interview on TSN.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

'Cos like, that's exactly what they said, right?

Lord folks need to get some life perspective around here. It's grown men chasing a rubber disk around on frozen water. Is it really worth getting so worked up about? Think about how unimportant it really is in life.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
im curious, where were you a week ago when everyone here was calling for a tank (it seems those people are gone or have changed their minds now)?

I can't speak for Drew but when I know the idiots and chicken littles will be out in force, I tend to wait it out because that level of insanity and foolishness just wears on you. Some of us follow hockey as a relief from every day world stressors. We don't need to have bipolar madness in that world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad