Confirmed with Link: New Security Measures At Canadian Tire Center Implemented

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Calgary has metal detectors and it isnt a problem at all. It's not going to be airport security bad. Anyone complaining about this must seriously be one of those people that complain about literally anything.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
They have already been doing this since the start of the season.. It literally takes 5 seconds..

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
They have already been doing this since the start of the season.. It literally takes 5 seconds..

They have been spot checking for years, but they definitely haven't been checking everyone, which makes it clear they are only there for the appearance of safety.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Airports must be a nightmare for you

Airports are great because they do a thorough check for actual security, rather than a spot check like the Sens do for the appearance of security.

If the SENS are serious and actually check EVERYONE, including smokers on each re-entry, then that will be a welcome change.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Airports are great because they do a thorough check for actual security, rather than a spot check like the Sens do for the appearance of security.

If the SENS are serious and actually check EVERYONE, including smokers on each re-entry, then that will be a welcome change.

So first you are afraid of being treated like a criminal, now you are not a fan because they are not intrusive enough.

Just curious, how long does it take you to get grocery shopping done?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm all for this. I never go to one of those games with something to hide (I make sure I've got nothing to hide before I go), as should others. This is such a minor little security measure, but could go a long way. Better safe than sorry, especially considering how lax security is there as is.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
So first you are afraid of being treated like a criminal, now you are not a fan because they are not intrusive enough.

Just curious, how long does it take you to get grocery shopping done?

Pretty simple, if they spot check then they are targeting you, if they check everyone then that is actual security.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Pretty simple, if they spot check then they are targeting you, if they check everyone then that is actual security.

What about a 1 in every 3 person check, 1 in 5, 1 in 10? I think people take intrusion way too seriously in these circumstances. If it happens, chill out, let them run the detector, and enjoy the game.

It is more so fans can be at ease with the idea that something is being done. Its crisis management

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Just out of curiosity, what do they do if they catch you trying to sneak in a flask? I assume you're denied entry, yeah?

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
What about a 1 in every 3 person check, 1 in 5, 1 in 10? I think people take intrusion way too seriously in these circumstances. If it happens, chill out, let them run the detector, and enjoy the game.

It is more so fans can be at ease with the idea that something is being done. Its crisis management

Anything other than 100% just provides the illusion of safety, which might make people more at ease but doesn't really prevent anything from happening.

All that being said, if they are not also efficient with it then I'd probably rather stay home. It is already enough of a hassle leaving the game.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Just out of curiosity, what do they do if they catch you trying to sneak in a flask? I assume you're denied entry, yeah?

You might find something here:

http://www.canadiantirecentre.com/guest-services/a-z-guide

For containers it says:

"For safety reasons, all containers, including bottles, cans, thermos bottles and plastic coolers, are not to be brought into the Canadian Tire Centre during any event."

I would assume they would just make you throw it away, but if there is a 100% chance of being caught then why bother.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You might find something here:

http://www.canadiantirecentre.com/guest-services/a-z-guide

For containers it says:

"For safety reasons, all containers, including bottles, cans, thermos bottles and plastic coolers, are not to be brought into the Canadian Tire Centre during any event."

I would assume they would just make you throw it away, but if there is a 100% chance of being caught then why bother.

Conversely, if they just make you pour it out, why not risk it?

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Conversely, if they just make you pour it out, why not risk it?

Well it says no containers, empty or full, so I assume at best they would make you dump it out and leave it at guest services. It would depend on why they have that rule though, if it's for the same reason airlines have the 'no liquids' policy then they may be more strict than that.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

:facepalm:

When was the last time you went through an airport?
They're pretty much the definition of security theater.

Regarding the topic at hand - like I said, I'm pretty used to seeing it happen for concerts down this way - and pretty sure Rogers Centre always does it too for events.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
I won't be going to any regular season games if this is the case. The lineups going to be out in the parking lot and its only going to get colder.

Playoffs ill put up with it

This is nothing new. 2 of the games I went to last year I was searched by a metal detector. I always see bags searched, always. in the time it takes to scan your ticket, another person has searched you. bags take a few seconds longer. After Boston this was league wide and it wasnt an issue.
Put your big boy pants on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh

I can see metal detectors at the main doors and having security personnel around and all that, but let's not turn this into a police state.

When you think about it, a sporting event is a bit tricky if a nutjob wants to cause problems. Traditionally the best casualty causers was fire, but tha'ts mostly gone with buildings made of concrete. The rambo gunman thing wouldn't work if you're within gun-grabbing distance of a dozen people, and getting to someplace like the rafters or a private box is near impossible. Only thing left would be a bomb, but you have the same problem of having to plant it while being around a bunch of people who could potentially stop you.

Doesn't feel like something anyone could effectively target as a lone wolf or even small group. Only thing I could see is flying a plane into a building, and the way things are these days, that is just about impossible as well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It gets confiscated at the door, and in some cases, they might deny you entry if they think you pre-drank a little too hard.

This is assuming the policy hasn't changed since I worked there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When was the last time you went through an airport?
They're pretty much the definition of security theater.

Meh, depends on the airport.

I fly a ton. Whenever I head back to North America, I'm always reminded at the insane security I have to go through... especially in the US. In fact, it's to the point where I'm willing to pay more for a plane ticket to Canada if I can bypass a layover in the States. It's absolutely ridiculous now.

Here in Southeast Asia, security is still surprisingly lax. Especially at some of the smaller airports. I just got back from Pangkalan Bun (Flores, Indonesia), and there wasn't even a working metal detector. I asked the security guard if I could bring my 1L bottle of water onto the plane, and his answer was "... why wouldn't you be able to? Are your hands broken?".

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Meh, depends on the airport.

I fly a ton. Whenever I head back to North America, I'm always reminded at the insane security I have to go through... especially in the US. In fact, it's to the point where I'm willing to pay more for a plane ticket to Canada if I can bypass a layover in the States. It's absolutely ridiculous now.

Here in Southeast Asia, security is still surprisingly lax. Especially at some of the smaller airports. I just got back from Pangkalan Bun (Flores, Indonesia), and there wasn't even a working metal detector. I asked the security guard if I could bring my 1L bottle of water onto the plane, and his answer was "... why wouldn't you be able to? Are your hands broken?".

I'm specifically referring to the States. It's theater more than anything, just a big inconvenience to give you a warm fuzzy but has no real impact on actual security compared to standard practices.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm specifically referring to the States. It's theater more than anything, just a big inconvenience to give you a warm fuzzy but has no real impact on actual security compared to standard practices.

Yeah, I agree, it's beyond ridiculous. So many different lines, it's so inefficient. Last time I went to Canada I had no choice but to go through NYC... worst thing ever. I got full body scanned TWICE (I was "randomly selected"... and by "random", I mean "I'm 6'3" with a beard and despite being an easy-going white dude I'm flying in from a Moslem country through another Moslem country - Qatar). They weren't happy with the first scan that came up normal, so they did it again.

Our family got split up - like, my 7 and 5 year old kids were taken away by security for a few minutes while we were questioned. Then they split me and my wife up.

Absolute nightmare. Didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy at all. Made me feel sub-human.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I agree, it's beyond ridiculous. So many different lines, it's so inefficient. Last time I went to Canada I had no choice but to go through NYC... worst thing ever. I got full body scanned TWICE (I was "randomly selected"... and by "random", I mean "I'm 6'3" with a beard and despite being an easy-going white dude I'm flying in from a Moslem country through another Moslem country - Qatar). They weren't happy with the first scan that came up normal, so they did it again.

Our family got split up - like, my 7 and 5 year old kids were taken away by security for a few minutes while we were questioned. Then they split me and my wife up.

Absolute nightmare. Didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy at all. Made me feel sub-human.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to with my vacation. The stopover is in Atlanta, though if it's an international flight and not leaving that terminal - shouldn't have any extra security right? Just whatever is done at YYZ or GIG? But since landing in US, means have to do all the silly procedures for US flights like taking off shoes and belts (wtf... )

Also, I'm taking the patdown and not using a scanner. They can grope me all they want, I'm around enough RF radiation at work all day long that I don't want to be put in a microwave before going on vacation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad