Confirmed with Link: New Security Measures At Canadian Tire Center Implemented

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The one thing I'm not looking forward to with my vacation. The stopover is in Atlanta, though if it's an international flight and not leaving that terminal - shouldn't have any extra security right? Just whatever is done at YYZ or GIG? But since landing in US, means have to do all the silly procedures for US flights like taking off shoes and belts (wtf... )

Also, I'm taking the patdown and not using a scanner. They can grope me all they want, I'm around enough RF radiation at work all day long that I don't want to be put in a microwave before going on vacation.

My mother did the trip more recently than I did, I'll ask her to see what her experiences were like.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I agree, it's beyond ridiculous. So many different lines, it's so inefficient. Last time I went to Canada I had no choice but to go through NYC... worst thing ever. I got full body scanned TWICE (I was "randomly selected"... and by "random", I mean "I'm 6'3" with a beard and despite being an easy-going white dude I'm flying in from a Moslem country through another Moslem country - Qatar). They weren't happy with the first scan that came up normal, so they did it again.

Our family got split up - like, my 7 and 5 year old kids were taken away by security for a few minutes while we were questioned. Then they split me and my wife up.

Absolute nightmare. Didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy at all. Made me feel sub-human.

How the hell do they get away with splitting kids away from their parents? That definitely shouldn't be allowed, especially considering a lot of those "security" people aren't exactly clean themselves.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I flew from Ottawa to Newark and then on to Charleston SC, all the security stuff was done in Ottawa, i did not have to take my shoes off, i went to take my belt off, i was told i did'nt have to then when i went through metal detector, it beeped told me to take my belt off then i was fine. there was no other security measures, i expect when i leave Charleston on saturday it to be the same.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
How the hell do they get away with splitting kids away from their parents? That definitely shouldn't be allowed, especially considering a lot of those "security" people aren't exactly clean themselves.

We weren't the only ones.

"Plane from Qatar" is probably awfully suspicious if you're kinda racist.

Whatever, it was horrible. It's been over a year since then. Who am I going to complain to? I'm past it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Airports are great because they do a thorough check for actual security, rather than a spot check like the Sens do for the appearance of security.

If the SENS are serious and actually check EVERYONE, including smokers on each re-entry, then that will be a welcome change.

It is overkill. Like airport security. One guy unsucessfully brings a bomb in his shoe on a plane and we check 10's or 100's of millions of passengers for a decade, and make them take their shoes off?

We make kids wear bike helmets and crazy car seats but throw all our kids in a steel shell of a school bus with no seatbelts or anything? The world makes no sense. Wanding everyone at every Sens game is stupid. It is a pointless measure to make people feel more secure, and catch people smuggling in booze and snacks.

I mean, whatever... The world is coming to this. Pointless gesture. I will still go and wait in longer lines. I can't change the stupidity of the world, might as well accept it.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Huh. I usually enter via the side entrance and have always been searched with metal detectors anyway.

In any case, stupid overreaction. After all this "we are not scared" and "no one will change our ways" talk...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is overkill. Like airport security. One guy unsucessfully brings a bomb in his shoe on a plane and we check 10's or 100's of millions of passengers for a decade, and make them take their shoes off?

We make kids wear bike helmets and crazy car seats but throw all our kids in a steel shell of a school bus with no seatbelts or anything? The world makes no sense. Wanding everyone at every Sens game is stupid. It is a pointless measure to make people feel more secure, and catch people smuggling in booze and snacks.

I mean, whatever... The world is coming to this. Pointless gesture. I will still go and wait in longer lines. I can't change the stupidity of the world, might as well accept it.

Can you imagine the logistics of getting a full-sized bus full of elementary school kids to put on and use seat belts properly? And the high school level kids would probably be strangling each other with them. :laugh:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
When I go to the airport I actually hope that I am selected for the residue testing. It is over in a couple of minutes, and in exchange for that I get to go through the fast line.

If they are doing random checks at CTC I would suggest allowing people who pass go through into a fast line so they are in the gates quickly. People tend to complain less when they get something out of it.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Ahh, going to the game on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what the lines and security are like.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Haha last 5 times I went to sens games I got picked every single time to get the wand...so this won't have an effect on me.

The only thing that will bother me will be the fact everyone is going to get scanned and searched, this will without doubt create lineups. I'm going to the hawks-sens game next week, so I guess I'll have to wait find out how good or bad this new policy is and how it effects our entry.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
They've been doing the "wanding" and checking all bags since about the Boston bombing. I have season tickets, always get there early and have never had any issues with this. I get "wanded" about half the time and I always have my bag ready to be checked so there aren't any delays.

It might be annoying if they don't have enough people doing it, as has been the case this season for some reason, but if they have the right amount of staff/security to scan/check people, there really shouldn't be much of a problem.

The people that will cause the delays are the ones that try to sneak things through. Was caught behind one of them that argued for a while before giving up and getting rid of their platic bottle. If everyone follows the rules, there will be no issues...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00