Music: New Pearl Jam album - Gigaton

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What? O’Brien is the man and has helped many bands create amazing sounding albums

It all starts with good vocals and guitar playing which have been lackluster for the past few P.J. albums
O’Brien was great for PJ early in their career but they had gotten really stale of late. The production on Backspacer and Lightning Bolt is terrible.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Still really enjoying this album. The only song I can’t get behind is Retrograde but even the final 1:30 of that song are enjoyable. The new producer did a great job.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I... don't think I don't like it? Lots to unpack here, and since I don't have a physical copy and won't until shops open again, I'm reluctant to fire up YouTube every time I want to hear it. Nothing on it filled me with as much disgust as Let the Records Play so that's a plus, but it seemed like it veered into Foo Fighters territory a few times, where you get a brief section of a song that sounds really great and as if it's building towards something only for it to go in the wrong direction and peter out. Dance of the Clairvoyants also seems to easily be the best thing on it (or maybe it's just the most familiar), but overall it seems quite strong.

I'm also agreed on the comments about the production. Not that I know anything about producers or their effects (apart from bands who I really, really like I suppose) but the 2009 remastering of Ten really put me off O'Brien's contributions.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Spectacular. I am floored they did this 30 years in considering their last two albums. I think a lot of that has to with ditching BoB. Not a weak song on the album. I got a hold of it last week before it was released and I rather enjoyed it but didn’t give a proper listen with good headphones until the release date. My jaw was on the floor. The moment they hit the stage for the first time after all this is going to be electric. I think they are going to be itching to get out their and perform. The fans are rabid as is, and with an album that’s being received the Gigaton has been, the anticipation for live shows will be through the roof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad