Line Combos: New lines and d-pairs in practice (10/10)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What? Roy was basically campaigning for him to re-sign. He had a fine year on a good team. I'm giving him more of a chance.

I said in the GBU but it didn't get any commentary. Is anyone else bothered by Nolan saying preseason that Ristolainen will be a top four guy playing in all situations and then have him finish last in ice time amongst the six?

Why even say a word then? I don't know. Bothered me.

Game 1

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Benoit is on a one year deal making less than one million. He's a fringe NHLer that couldn't get signed by either a) a good team or b) a team that would give him even how much 3rd pairing dmen make. He's a fringe NHLer, any talk of him as a "top 4 on a playoff team" is conjecture at best.

It's not conjecture. It's stating what he did last year on the Avs. Whether that's a good thing for said team is another matter.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I liked what I saw out of Benoit and the defense in general. Pretty much all of them were getting involved in the offense. Some sustained pressure in the offensive zone would be a nice change and take some pressure off of the D. The only line we saw this out of yesterday was Zemgus' line. Spreading that out a little is important. I'm kind of sick of seeing the Sabres reliance on the one-chance off of the rush then back the other way.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He played a good number of minutes, but was also bottom tier in every other "quality of role" (QoC, QoT, Zone Start Ratio) and performance (Corsi / GA/60) metric. He was absolutely, 100%, not a "top four defenseman on a playoff team" in the typical application of that term.

As I pointed out, that's only true if your definition of "Top 4 D" is based on minutes and minutes only.

Your trying too hard.

If he was 3rd among Colorado dmen in ES atoi, PP atoi and PK atoi and had the 3rd lowest amount of d-zone starts 48.6% (thats not getting sheltered). Then by any normal definition, he was a top 4 dman for the Avs last year and not getting sheltered minutes. How he played in that role doesn't changed that fact.

I'm not arguing he belongs there but the facts are what they are. He was a top 4 dman for the Avs who were a playoff team.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Brian Duff retweeted
Chris Ryndak ‏@ChrisRyndak 43m43 minutes ago
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart
Hodgson-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Flynn
No McCormick

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 40m40 minutes ago
A change in D pairings as well, per @ChrisRyndak:
Gorges/Myers
Weber/Meszaros
Benoit/Ristolainen
Zadorov/Strachan

I wanted to see Reinhart with Stewart.

I think Girgensons developed something with Hodgson last year and Id want him to develop something with Gionta and pair them on PK duties.

I see Zadorov dressing.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Are you intentionally contradictory because you enjoy it? Or because you have nothing better to do with your time? Or both?

Nolan said one thing and did another in game one. Hoping it changes. He doesn't need to be "slow fed"... He needs to be "fed."

im sorry if you dont want to know how i feel, dont ask the question, when i didnt respond to it you felt the need to bring it up in another forum, so pick one

no, it didnt bother me, its the first game in his first full season as an NHLer... ask again in January when there something to talk about

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So what is the deal with Zadorov? If he isn't playing here, why not let him play in London?

I was thinking they might be holding on to him until Pysyk/McCabe get back to replenish the depth on the back end (since once they send him down he's not coming back up), but Strachan/Ruhwedel are there so they don't really need another guy for just that role, so not really sure.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
im sorry if you dont want to know how i feel, dont ask the question, when i didnt respond to it you felt the need to bring it up in another forum, so pick one

no, it didnt bother me, its the first game in his first full season as an NHLer... ask again in January when there something to talk about

I don't recall asking you? That's pretty arrogant, assuming every time I post it is directed at Imlach a Cup

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Generally, I saw what you did of the F-G-S line. Except that I'd add the F portion seemed more invisible for his efforts (other than when tossing the puck from the o-zone corner back to the Sabre's goal line, sigh).

For the H-R-G line, I just saw nuttin'. A handful of duet passing, sure, but no actual clicking. Actually, "nuttin'" is too harsh, I saw each of them individually plug in the effort. Hodgson's hustles as first forward on the backcheck, Reinhart's willingness to engage in the defensive zone corners, Gionta trying for the shots...

But individual stuff mostly, and really I put it down to some combo of inexperience/confidence on the part of Reinhart. The kid seemed solid enough defensively, as if he felt more comfortable knowing what to do in his own zone, while his offensive play-making was virtually non-existent.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford could also use a make-over. The trio is merely the default 1st line residue from last year, no better (and possibly worse on the d side of the game if stats are anything to go by) than was Moulson-Hodgson-whoever initially.

Personally I'd build the top 3 lines around the strongest play-makers, guys who have a knack for distributing the puck, and then given them a guy who either makes space or can carry with speed/grit, and another guy who finds the space and can shoot.

I'll give it a stab...

Moulson-Hodgson-Stewart
Ennis-Reinhart-Stafford
Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta

That might actually not be too bad, although I could see Reinhart's line facing the same 'lack of space-makers' as last game (maybe flip Girgensons and Ennis?) I'm sure we'll get to see a lot of line combinations before some start to show some chemistry.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Thank god they split up Foligno and Girgs. I'm positively surprised.

Also, I don't think different linemates will do any wonders for Reinhart. The kid looked overpowered physically since he stepped on that ice. Shielding him with Foligno and Stewart is the best the Sabres can do, I'd say.

So the fact that Gionta is playing with Girgs/Hodgson is probably a consequence of that. Or not. :) In any case, the forward lines look optimal.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'll give it a stab...

Moulson-Hodgson-Stewart
Ennis-Reinhart-Stafford
Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta

That might actually not be too bad, although I could see Reinhart's line facing the same 'lack of space-makers' as last game (maybe flip Girgensons and Ennis?) I'm sure we'll get to see a lot of line combinations before some start to show some chemistry.

Hmm.... Interesting. Especially that Moulson-Hodgson-Stewart line. Possibly swap Ennis and Foligno to give Reinhart some extra body on the wing?

What do you think about this -

Moulson - Girgensons - Stafford
Hodgson - Ennis - Stewart
Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta

I'm not numbering the lines exactly, figuring that between pp/pk duty most of the top 9 are seeing roughly the same ice time, with maybe the best clicking line(s) getting a bit more on a game-by-game basis.

I'm also not thinking much about the whole center vs wing thing as the wings (ie: Stafford and Hodgson) seem to be taking draws and defensive coverage seems more by committee too.

I'm seeing Moulson and Hodgson as the strongest puck-distributors, guys who make the short and mid length passes, see the lanes and open sticks to get a cycle going for sustained pressure. Both can also shoot the damn puck, maybe with an edge to Moulson in tight and an edge to Hodgson for the hash mark rocket?

Then Ennis and Foligno as more perimeter guys who really only "create space" on the outside and mostly with speed and tenaciousness (Ennis) and a bit of brute plugging (Foligno).

Girgs and Stewart each have that combination of brute force, speed, stickhandling and shooting, though I'd give the edge to Girgs for the stickhandling and driving straight for the net while Stewart seems to go more outside.

Stafford seems a mix of the above and Reinhart... dunno? Obviously hopefully a play-maker once he's got some offensive zone confidence. Gionta also dunno, though his numbers the last five seasons (for recent trend) seem to suggest he's more suited to a checking and thirdline scoring role? Small, true, but willing to dig and give it his all.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No shockers here. Benoit and Weber are a meh flop. If Benoit was a coveted top four defensemen he would have gotten more than a 1 year 800K check to play in the NHL.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Just having fun with line combos...

Ennis - Hodgson - Stafford
Moulson - Reinhart - Stewart
Deslauriers - Girgensons - Gionta
Foligno - Flynn - Mitchell

Gorges - Myers
Meszaros - Ristolainen
Weber - Benoit/Strachan

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Please no Hodgson at center. Ever again.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about slipping Ennis back to wing, seeing how he's no better at center than Hodgson and arguably worse... face-off performance, defensive coverage, and most certainly in the offensive zone with neither Hodgson's soft hands or shot.

Where Hodgson's defensive bleeding (corsi and plus/minus basics) slowed the last half the 2013-2014 season, Ennis's only worsened when they swapped 1st line center roles, and while they look comparable for offensive production, Hodgson played fewer games and fewer games not coming back off injury.

Rather than worry about who is the "center", I'd plug them both in with complimentary pieces suitable to their respective playing styles, strengths and weaknesses.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about slipping Ennis back to wing, seeing how he's no better at center than Hodgson and arguably worse... face-off performance, defensive coverage, and most certainly in the offensive zone with neither Hodgson's soft hands or shot.

Where Hodgson's defensive bleeding (corsi and plus/minus basics) slowed the last half the 2013-2014 season, Ennis's only worsened when they swapped 1st line center roles, and while they look comparable for offensive production, Hodgson played fewer games and fewer games not coming back off injury.

Rather than worry about who is the "center", I'd plug them both in with complimentary pieces suitable to their respective playing styles, strengths and weaknesses.

Oh, I'm also not thrilled about Ennis, but I hated Hodgson at center.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

If we get McEichel I have to think the top 3 center spots will be manned by some combination of McEichel/Reinhart/Grigorenko/Girgensons pushing Ennis and Hodgson to the wing by default. So as a long-term issue it really doesn't bother me.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chris Ryndak @ChrisRyndak 24m
Nolan says there might be personnel changes on defense next game. #CHIvsBUF

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington 4m
Nolan said change in offing on defense Monday. Meszaros (-4) and Benoit (-2) were both on ice for 5 CHI goals. Zadorov/Strachan waiting

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington 2m
The Myers (26:29) and Gorges (20:06) pair on ice for no goals. Weber on for none, Ristolainen for 1. Meszaros/Benoit have to sit.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Nolan said change in offing on defense Monday. Meszaros (-4) and Benoit (-2) were both on ice for 5 CHI goals. Zadorov/Strachan waiting

The Myers (26:29) and Gorges (20:06) pair on ice for no goals. Weber on for none, Ristolainen for 1. Meszaros/Benoit have to sit.

Weber with a +1 even.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

At some point I caught myself saying to the TV:

Why on earth is Benoit PKing.......while Risto isn't????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad