Line Combos: New lines and d-pairs in practice (10/10)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Brian Duff retweeted
Chris Ryndak ‏@ChrisRyndak 43m43 minutes ago
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart
Hodgson-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Flynn
No McCormick

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 40m40 minutes ago
A change in D pairings as well, per @ChrisRyndak:
Gorges/Myers
Weber/Meszaros
Benoit/Ristolainen
Zadorov/Strachan

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Like that they switch Girgs and Reinhart. Didn't make sense to me to break up those lines for the first game.

Poor Risto :laugh:

I hope Flynn stays at center on the 4th line. But I wonder whats up with No McCormick. Listening to a sports update they said he wasn't even at practice. Was he injured last night?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Brian Duff retweeted
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart
No McCormick

Gorges/Myers
Weber/Meszaros
Benoit/Ristolainen
Zadorov/Strachan

I got a better idea:
Gorges/Myers
Weber/Ristolainen
Pylon/Pylon

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Brian Duff retweeted
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart
No McCormick

Gorges/Myers
Weber/Meszaros
Benoit/Ristolainen
Zadorov/Strachan

Well, the Reinhart for Girgensons is a start, anyway. Now swap Stewart and Gionta and Sabres *might* have a solid 2nd line.

That's not a knock on Gionta, only a plug that the duets of Hodgson/Girgs, Girgs/Stewart, and Stewart/Hodgson have each looked highly favourable when playing together, so how does it not make sense to give the trio a good run of 10 games together and see if their natural duet clicks can develop into a triad?

And anyway, what happened to Nolan's gushing commentary about Reinhart teamed up with the vet Gionta?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I got a better idea:
Gorges/Myers
Weber/Ristolainen
Pylon/Pylon

15_rich-pilon.jpg

Did this guy have twin boys?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We need Pysyk back for a 2nd pair defense.

The changes show that Benoit didn't handle 2nd pair responsibilities with Meszaros.

Weber will have a bounce back year this season if they don't ask him to do more than he can handle (a #4 D).

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Well, the Reinhart for Girgensons is a start, anyway. Now swap Stewart and Gionta and Sabres *might* have a solid 2nd line.

That's not a knock on Gionta, only a plug that the duets of Hodgson/Girgs, Girgs/Stewart, and Stewart/Hodgson have each looked highly favourable when playing together, so how does it not make sense to give the trio a good run of 10 games together and see if their natural duet clicks can develop into a triad?

And anyway, what happened to Nolan's gushing commentary about Reinhart teamed up with the vet Gionta?

This actually makes some sense. Those two (Stew/Foligno) create space for other players with their strong board work. Reinhart needs space to be able to use his vision. Last night it seemed like Gionta, Hodgson and Reinhart were all trying to be in the same place. While the F-G-S line had tons of space, but nobody to cash in.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Of the pending free agents I believe Stewart has the potential to return the most assets if he is dealt so why not play him on a line that gives him the best opportunity to produce? Or at the very least give him first unit PP minutes to pad his stats and build some confidence. Some may think the obvious choice is him playing with Moulson/Ennis but if that's not the case certainly he's going to produce more with Hodgson than Foligno then take your pick at who plays C.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Glad to see the center swap

Not sure we needed to break up webs and risto

I think it was more of a pecking order reward/demote thing more so than wanting to break up Weber/Risto.

Ultimately I think Pysyk bounces Benoit from the lineup once he returns. EDIT: Speaking of that, any word on his return? He's more than 2 weeks out from his injury now and was given a 1-2 week time frame.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
This actually makes some sense. Those two (Stew/Foligno) create space for other players with their strong board work. Reinhart needs space to be able to use his vision. Last night it seemed like Gionta, Hodgson and Reinhart were all trying to be in the same place. While the F-G-S line had tons of space, but nobody to cash in.

Generally, I saw what you did of the F-G-S line. Except that I'd add the F portion seemed more invisible for his efforts (other than when tossing the puck from the o-zone corner back to the Sabre's goal line, sigh).

For the H-R-G line, I just saw nuttin'. A handful of duet passing, sure, but no actual clicking. Actually, "nuttin'" is too harsh, I saw each of them individually plug in the effort. Hodgson's hustles as first forward on the backcheck, Reinhart's willingness to engage in the defensive zone corners, Gionta trying for the shots...

But individual stuff mostly, and really I put it down to some combo of inexperience/confidence on the part of Reinhart. The kid seemed solid enough defensively, as if he felt more comfortable knowing what to do in his own zone, while his offensive play-making was virtually non-existent.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford could also use a make-over. The trio is merely the default 1st line residue from last year, no better (and possibly worse on the d side of the game if stats are anything to go by) than was Moulson-Hodgson-whoever initially.

Personally I'd build the top 3 lines around the strongest play-makers, guys who have a knack for distributing the puck, and then given them a guy who either makes space or can carry with speed/grit, and another guy who finds the space and can shoot.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@ChrisRyndak

Flynn in the middle with Deslauriers and Mitchell. #sabres

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres Coach Ted Nolan says today was a maintenance day for McCormick.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Crazy how Beniot was a top 4 D on a playoff team and 1 bad game means he'll lose his spot to Weber? Idk. Not everyone's gonna have a solid start.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Crazy how Beniot was a top 4 D on a playoff team and 1 bad game means he'll lose his spot to Weber? Idk. Not everyone's gonna have a solid start.
He played a good number of minutes, but was also bottom tier in every other "quality of role" (QoC, QoT, Zone Start Ratio) and performance (Corsi / GA/60) metric. He was absolutely, 100%, not a "top four defenseman on a playoff team" in the typical application of that term.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Avs didn't want him back. Must be a reason.

What? Roy was basically campaigning for him to re-sign. He had a fine year on a good team. I'm giving him more of a chance.

I said in the GBU but it didn't get any commentary. Is anyone else bothered by Nolan saying preseason that Ristolainen will be a top four guy playing in all situations and then have him finish last in ice time amongst the six?

Why even say a word then? I don't know. Bothered me.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
What? Roy was basically campaigning for him to re-sign. He had a fine year on a good team. I'm giving him more of a chance.

I said in the GBU but it didn't get any commentary. Is anyone else bothered by Nolan saying preseason that Ristolainen will be a top four guy playing in all situations and then have him finish last in ice time amongst the six?

Why even say a word then? I don't know. Bothered me.

Am I bothered that they're continuing to slow feed one of the most important prospects in our system while he grows into a top 4 all situations player? no

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Am I bothered that they're continuing to slow feed one of the most important prospects in our system while he grows into a top 4 all situations player? no

Are you intentionally contradictory because you enjoy it? Or because you have nothing better to do with your time? Or both?

Nolan said one thing and did another in game one. Hoping it changes. He doesn't need to be "slow fed"... He needs to be "fed."

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Having all three of Weber, Benoit, and Mezaros in the lineup is just such a beautiful way to ensure the tank. As long as the top pair stays in tact there's no way to arrange these three without having an absolute tire fire of a pairing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Benoit is on a one year deal making less than one million. He's a fringe NHLer that couldn't get signed by either a) a good team or b) a team that would give him even how much 3rd pairing dmen make. He's a fringe NHLer, any talk of him as a "top 4 on a playoff team" is conjecture at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad