GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Washington Capitals - 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Ok I would be curious to see clarke saddled with smith and tierney. That would be one of the worst lines in the league. PK is horrible right now with smith. Having him plod around on LW is assinine

Smith was good on the PK yesterday.

Washington scored on the PP when he got off the ice and the other pairing was on. (Sieges and Marino or someone got on right away and WASH scored that goal from the blueline)

Reactions: NjDevsRR

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ok I would be curious to see clarke saddled with smith and tierney. That would be one of the worst lines in the league. PK is horrible right now with smith. Having him plod around on LW is assinine
Bastian away from Tierney and McLeod is getting outscored 9-2 and has a 41% xG share. It’s not just Tierney dragging him down, he’s lost without McLeod.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bastian away from Tierney and McLeod is getting outscored 9-2 and has a 41% xG share. It’s not just Tierney dragging him down, he’s lost without McLeod.
I'm wondering if there is still something about the shoulder holding him back? Whether physical or psychological hangover trying to avoid reinjury?

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Also take out willman laberge and all other plugs that have played fourth line. I truly don’t remember him playing with anyone good all year. Last night I believe he was on for 5-5 goal for after PP expired with decent players. Tierney looks like 99 compared to some of these others including nosek who did nothing

Reactions: billingtons ghost

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He’s just not particularly useful right now. He doesn’t need to be off the team, but it would be nice to get some guys back to push him into an extra forward role. Fully healthy I’m keeping Smith in over him all day just to help the PK.
Smith vs Bastian is an interesting debate. I think Bastian is the more solid player overall but Smith is our PK ace this season. And he brings some physical swagger which Bastian does not.

Last night Wilson went at Bastian, but even though Bastian is more Wilsons physical equal Smith got in the middle of it. Took that pressure off Bastian.

But Bastian clarke? For a 4th line role? Im fine with Bastian.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Smith vs Bastian is an interesting debate. I think Bastian is the more solid player overall but Smith is our PK ace this season. And he brings some physical swagger which Bastian does not.

Last night Wilson went at Bastian, but even though Bastian is more Wilsons physical equal Smith got in the middle of it. Took that pressure off Bastian.

But Bastian clarke? For a 4th line role? Im fine with Bastian.
Wilson trying to suck someone into a slashing penalty or something. We clearly have no heavyweight. Smith is a punching bag

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Also take out willman laberge and all other plugs that have played fourth line. I truly don’t remember him playing with anyone good all year. Last night I believe he was on for 5-5 goal for after PP expired with decent players. Tierney looks like 99 compared to some of these others including nosek who did nothing
Bastian is included in the guys that don’t look very good though. He fell off

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wilson trying to suck someone into a slashing penalty or something. We clearly have no heavyweight. Smith is a punching bag
Smith is no Wilson, but he can handle himself well enough, and is actually more then willing to fight. Bastian has never really shown that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
thought dawg daws played pretty good some meh goal/s but still thats fine if your going to make big timely saves which is something vitek and schmid didn't do at all this year. the fact this team is even where they are with the goaltending they have been getting is pretty remarkable. really gotta hope daws can pull a schmid 2.0 this year

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bastian is included in the guys that don’t look very good though. He fell off
He may just be having a weak stretch, but he's kind of getting to be the age where teams that drafted those players start moving on from them.

I don't think he's hurting us a whole lot, but he's showing himself to be expendable or at least interchangeable at this point.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
thought dawg daws played pretty good some meh goal/s but still thats fine if your going to make big timely saves which is something vitek and schmid didn't do at all this year. the fact this team is even where they are with the goaltending they have been getting is pretty remarkable. really gotta hope daws can pull a schmid 2.0 this year

I didn't see much good goaltending from Daws. He made a few good saves on terrible breakdowns, but the ones he let in were Ugly and they hit alot of posts.

Looked great in comparison to the other guy across the way though - ughh.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Smith is no Wilson, but he can handle himself well enough, and is actually more then willing to fight. Bastian has never really shown that.
I would be tempted to take nate over smith fighting wise. I still remember mikey beating the crap out of smith when he was a ranger. I would suspect once nate gets totally comfortable with the repaired shoulder he might throw down. Who knows

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I didn't see much good goaltending from Daws. He made a few good saves on terrible breakdowns, but the ones he let in were Ugly and they hit alot of posts.

Looked great in comparison to the other guy across the way though - ughh.
thats all we can ask for at this point unless fitz pulls the trigger on bringing someone in. even if daws is just a tad better then the other two guys it will go miles for the team confidence i think.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would be tempted to take nate over smith fighting wise. I still remember mikey beating the crap out of smith when he was a ranger. I would suspect once nate gets totally comfortable with the repaired shoulder he might throw down. Who knows

Without knowing how that shoulder is doing it’s hard to properly evaluate his play.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
How anyone can just write a narrative on Nosek this season is laughable. He has been injured three different times, just an unlucky start for him.

He was a 25 pt player over the course of a full season in Bostons bottom six last season. He is a serviceable bottom 6 player who can PK.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Daws could of been better on the 1st and 3rd goal but he came up big after the team gave up that 3rd goal. He stopped Dowd on that I zone tjr over where 4 of out 5 players were practically out of the zone. Maybe we caught a break because it was Dowd and not a better player but Daws didn't bite on that partial breakaway. We could of been down 4 to 3 heading into the e
3rd and that would of made it a much different game.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
How anyone can just write a narrative on Nosek this season is laughable. He has been injured three different times, just an unlucky start for him.

He was a 25 pt player over the course of a full season in Bostons bottom six last season. He is a serviceable bottom 6 player who can PK.
He has never cracked even 20 pts in a season maybe thats why boston said get out of here. Also sometimes the best ability is availability. Bad signing

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He has never cracked even 20 pts in a season maybe thats why boston said get out of here. Also sometimes the best ability is availability. Bad signing
A one year, one million $$ depth player for the 4th line and PK, which has zero risk is a bad signing?

Ok Bob

Btw, he has 20+ pt paces throughout his career.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A one year, one million $$ depth player for the 4th line and PK, which has zero risk is a bad signing?

Ok Bob

Btw, he has 20+ pt paces throughout his career.

He’s also a top face-off guy as well as an excellent PK guy.

Boston said “get out of here” because they couldn’t afford to spend 1m on a 4th liner.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said after the Boston game

I don't care if Daws gives up 10 goals the next game he plays, enough is enough with the Vitek stuff.

I'll be elated if Daws starts 8 of the 12 games this month. We're already one in.

And there's only 2 back to back's I think? One more after these next two games? If we can keep him on the bench all but once a week I'll be really happy. Because he isn't getting any better here. Daws possibly can.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Bastian has become JAG since his injury. Unfortunate for him because it was obvious he was happy to return here after his brief stint in Seattle.

Reactions: Whaddagoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad