GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Washington Capitals 7:00PM: Playing out the stretch edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
TG-When I asked Lamoriello the reasoning for sitting Matteau tonight, eh said, “There's no real reason.â€

“We've got healthy players who we want to put them in situations that they can succeed and we'll go game by game and see what the best situation is for the young guys,†Lamoriello said. “Should they stay? How long? There's no definite plan. It's going to really (depend) on the how the game is, who's healthy, who isn't healthy, a lot of variables.â€

“What he brings every night is energy and physicality,†Lamoriello said. “I don't think there's anyone he fears. I think he'd rather go through than around you. I think that's what you need on the road.â€

Judging by the last line in Lou's quote, maybe Matteau will just play in all the road games from now to the end of the season?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Khudobin? :sarcasm:

I was wondering why the heck you'd make that trip in late March anyway unless you were already planning to see friends or something :laugh:

My friend had tickets from earlier. Too far of a trip though.

Just losing to that team at all makes me mad. Especially in their current sorry state.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Judging by the last line in Lou's quote, maybe Matteau will just play in all the road games from now to the end of the season?

Sorry I left out this line that was before that last sentence, Lou's actually referring to Ruutu there.

TG - Ruutu was a healthy scratch Monday night, but Lamoriello seemed to want his physical play and tenacity back in the lineup tonight.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sorry I left out this line that was before that last sentence, Lou's actually referring to Ruutu there.

TG - Ruutu was a healthy scratch Monday night, but Lamoriello seemed to want his physical play and tenacity back in the lineup tonight.

Oh, thank you for clarifying. So maybe it's Ruutu that gets the road games, and Matteau that will get the home games. Or maybe there is no plan I can hope to understand, not being Lou.:D

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That was the first game I think we ever scored a 6 on 5 goal when Schneider played.

It was definitely our first all season.

I keep thinking we did it with Kinkaid one game, but I might be thinking of the handful of times we did it with Marty last season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh, thank you for clarifying. So maybe it's Ruutu that gets the road games, and Matteau that will get the home games. Or maybe there is no plan I can hope to understand, not being Lou.:D

Or Lou expected all the hitting we saw tonight and didn't want Matteau to get smashed up.

Idk these are all stabs in the dark. We will never get the answer.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Or Lou expected all the hitting we saw tonight and didn't want Matteau to get smashed up.

Idk these are all stabs in the dark. We will never get the answer.

Lou could have wanted to protect Matteau. Really anything's possible. We'll never know until one of us figures out how to invade Lou's mind. :laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Matteau would have been fine, he's a big kid and can take care of himself. Isn't this the role we want him in? Makes zero sense, tonight was the perfect game for him to play.

The only thing I can see is they want him to get a little more seasoning being up with the team, going through some practices and getting some instruction at this level.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Name the 4 caps with 50 goal seasons that isn't Ovi

Sadly I'm not even sure if Jagr was one of them cause he was so awful there, or at least I remember him being awful.

Looked it up, nope...and among the others who did do it, I wouldn't have gotten Carpenter either for that matter. Peter Bondra I should have remembered, he was real good for a while. Gartner's the only one I remembered offhand.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sadly I'm not even sure if Jagr was one of them cause he was so awful there, or at least I remember him being awful.

Looked it up, nope...and among the others who did do it, I wouldn't have gotten Carpenter either for that matter. Peter Bondra I should have remembered, he was real good for a while. Gartner's the only one I remembered offhand.

Steve blurted out Carpainter immediately.

Jim nailed it. Don't ask me what page lolol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think I saw Gionta and Zubrus on the 6 on 5. And of course we score!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Matteau would have been fine, he's a big kid and can take care of himself. Isn't this the role we want him in? Makes zero sense, tonight was the perfect game for him to play.

The only thing I can see is they want him to get a little more seasoning being up with the team, going through some practices and getting some instruction at this level.

That's the thing I think people tend to forget. A kid can learn things without playing every game. Being around the coaching staff and players can help a kid learn how to be a pro, learn the system, etc. And it could just be as simple as Matteau, Ruutu, and Zubrus are all kind of similar in their skillsets, so they're pretty much interchangeable. Boucher has a bit of an advantage in that he's got a skillset that not a lot of our forwards do. So he's probably going to get the nod over Matteau if it's between the two. Let's see what happens next game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
TG said we scored two goals with the goalie pulled this year already, we were just trailing by 2 both times.

I can't remember either.

I immediately remembered after looking at the game logs. Last time was against the Stars in a 4-3 loss on that last road trip right before DeBoer was fired.

Other time was in that stupid comeback in St Louis where we seemed to score 3 goals in the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game and lost 4-3. Back when our PK (thanks again POS Foligno!) was giving up multiple goals per game and Cory got pulled and Kinkaid gave up what wound up being the game winner (a PP goal) and got the loss. We were losing 3-0 while Cory was still in there (big surprise). Then the Blues thought it was April and did their best playoff impersonation and stopped playing for 5 minutes. Forgot who scored the goal, but I clearly remember Ryder scoring two of the goals.

Kinkaid was also in during the Dallas game after coming in to relieve Schneider also. I knew I remembered scoring a couple 6 on 5's when Kinkaid was in.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
TG said we scored two goals with the goalie pulled this year already, we were just trailing by 2 both times.

I can't remember either.

I'm gonna guess off the top of my head one was in St. Louis when Ryder scored those useless pair of goals late in the futile comeback :P

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm gonna guess off the top of my head one was in St. Louis when Ryder scored those useless pair of goals late in the futile comeback :P
Yup that was one of them! Gomez scored the other one in Dallas.
Some nights we could have a 6-on-3 and it wouldn't matter.:laugh:
My favorite is the next shift after calling a timeout and drawing up a play, we proceed to lose the faceoff and the puck is in the back of our empty net usually within 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes even less.

That's happened a lot lately. I actually got excited when we held the zone for more than 10 seconds tonight on the 6 on 5 and was feeling very optimistic that we would actually tie the game during it.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
At this point, competitive games are all I ask for. I'm glad they're still staying with teams and giving the effort they have.

I can't believe Bernier's season. :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Steve blurted out Carpainter immediately.

Jim nailed it. Don't ask me what page lolol

I liked the Caps in the early to mid 80's...Some of my favorite players as a kid where there. I used to really like Kevin Hatcher and of course Rod Langway, Scott Stevens and Larry Murphy....Those teams were stacked defensively. I liked Hatcher and Langway because they American defensemen.

And I always liked Gaetan Duchesne too. Don't ask me why? I think I just liked his name.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Because if there's one thing Matteau isn't, it's physical...

That's just an all around terrible answer. I'd rather him just say "status quo" and start making balloon animals to distract everyone.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I liked the Caps in the early to mid 80's...Some of my favorite players as a kid where there. I used to really like Kevin Hatcher and of course Rod Langway, Scott Stevens and Larry Murphy....Those teams were stacked defensively. I liked Hatcher and Langway because they American defensemen.

And I always liked Gaetan Duchesne too. Don't ask me why? I think I just liked his name.

Realize how I old I am because I remember all of these guys too. :wally:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad