GDT: New Jersey Devils vs Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00 PM MSG

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Here Pete, let me give you this pile of ****. Now go paint me a masterpiece.

Utilizing the players he's got. I would not know how to play those grandpas.

Past years, I would have respected this argument.

But this year, this team is getting outplayed in every game. We're getting outshot and outworked and our possession numbers aren't good. The past couple years, we've been driving the play, but we just haven't had the offensive talent to convert the possession into goals. This year, it's the exact opposite, although the offense isn't much better than last years.

The last two years, DeBoer has shown signs of a very good coach. He implemented a system that worked given the slow team speed and his teams generally outplayed the opponents, the same can be said for when he was in Florida. This year, however, the same can't be said. Even if a coach is given a mediocre roster, he still should be able to get those players to play better than the other team. He hasn't been able to do that this year.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Here Pete, let me give you this pile of ****. Now go paint me a masterpiece.

well, duchamp did pass off a urinal as 'art'

We're playing other piles of **** and getting dominated! I'm sorry, nobody's going to convince me Carolina or the Flyers is SO much better than us that they should double us in shots and dominate games.

on any night any team can win. its just that the team doesnt have very many of those 'any' nights

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This team does NOT attack the net. All shots are from the perimeter in hopes of a rebound to the one guy standing 15 feet from the net. The first 3 games and the Toronto game were the only games I remember when they went to the net.

That's the coach's system in a nutshell. Keep it to the outside. Get back on D. No odd man rushes.

That's why these games end 2-1, 3-1, 3-2. You can't score if you don't go to the net or take a risk every now and then.

Are they really equipped to play another way though? I think DeBoer should eventually go, but we're fooling ourselves into thinking that tactics alone can improve the offensive output.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean look at the SABRES' roster, and they're playing circles around us right now and they were supposed to be the worst team created since the '76 Capitals or the expansion Senators.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Are they really equipped to play another way though? I think DeBoer should eventually go, but we're fooling ourselves into thinking that tactics alone can improve the offensive output.

How about actual accountability? At this point that alone would be a step up. And I don't mean just kicking a bad role player out the door who nobody cares about anyway.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I mean look at the SABRES' roster, and they're playing circles around us right now and they were supposed to be the worst team created since the '76 Capitals or the expansion Senators.

The sabres have young legs though. Their effort can take them further.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How about actual accountability? At this point that alone would be a step up. And I don't mean just kicking a bad role player out the door who nobody cares about anyway.

I think you make a valid point.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
They dont announce a new team 5 months before they join the league...there is way too much prep and the earliest ANY new team would joining the league would be 2016, possibly even 2017.

No, NJ would come in dead last and lose the lottery, that I am convinced of. If we come in 2nd, some one after us will win and bump us to 3rd. Placing my bet now...Carolina will win the lottery no matter what place they come in..it just serves the NHL best and puts a superstar in a struggling market. Good for the NHl After all, the draft is fixed anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's still too early to talk about draft picks anyway lol, I just wish there was a light at the end of the tunnel that wasn't an oncoming train.

It would be nice to see some changes before the end of the season, to at least get an indication of how badly this thing needs to be blown up. Right now I just want to see ****ing effort and accountability and go from there. If this team's still bad after that then Lou'll sell at the deadline, he has to. But at least try to rock the boat a little here before the last half of the season absolutely becomes an extended 2015 preseason.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
ya, cause getting an expansion team will be done in the next 5 months.

wow

Yes, I realize that this is exceptionally unlikely, impossible really, but if ever an expansion team would be super fast tracked into the NHL, you just know it would happen the year the Devils were in line for the first overall, generational talent that could turn the organization around. Don't think Bettman wouldn't do it :laugh:.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We're playing other piles of **** and getting dominated! I'm sorry, nobody's going to convince me Carolina or the Flyers is SO much better than us that they should double us in shots and dominate games.

They're not that much better, but when your top line is a 42 year old and a couple of cheap reclamation projects, I'm not sure you should be surprised when you're getting outplayed.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
deboer is right about the penalties killing the devils tho, they were doing somewhat well even strength wise. the third line was really good(Ruutu-Josefson-Sislo) in CF%, they were among the tops of the team with a really low zone start(11% for JJ, 12% for Sislo, 14% for Ruutu).

The team shoots it self in the foot too consistently to ever win consistently. Always some different way to a loss.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
deboer is right about the penalties killing the devils tho, they were doing somewhat well even strength wise. the third line was really good(Ruutu-Josefson-Sislo) in CF%, they were among the tops of the team with a really low zone start(11% for JJ, 12% for Sislo, 14% for Ruutu).

The team shoots it self in the foot too consistently to ever win consistently. Always some different way to a loss.

Which is another thing you can hang on Pete, the utter lack of discipline this year. It's NEVER been a problem with the Devils, they've always been among the least penalized teams in the league.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
How do they play so well against the Blackhawks but play like crap tonight against a rival? Wait no I know the answer.

Because they're not a very good team. Every once in a while they'll have a good game, but more often than not they're going to struggle.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Missed the game, Saw two highlights of goals . Gionta was on the ice for both not covering his man.. Harrold 20 min of ice time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad