GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Nashville Predators: The Sing Along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Schneider certainly is not playing like an elite goalie this season. If he does this again next year, then we can make the claim he isn't one, but still too soon to say.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's the team that has gone off the deep end. Shero needs to make a move. Too many players have gotten comfortable losing.

I'm not by any means saying everything is all right, but it's funny how certain people didn't say a damn word about Cory last year when he was a top 5 goalie, but now he's had a bad 15 games and we never should have traded for him and he's not really an elite goalie and he's wasting away, yada yada yada.

I get being upset (I don't like watching these losses anymore than any Devils fan) but can we maybe take a step back and not just blow the whole damn team up and throw whatever plan we've had for the last 18 months out the window?

Rebuilding sucks. It's painful, it's frustrating, it makes you want to break things. This team still has holes that need to be filled, and until they are filled, it's probably going to be ugly at times. But big picture I still think we're headed the right direction. It just looks like there's going to be some more pain before we get where we want to go.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm not by any means saying everything is all right, but it's funny how certain people didn't say a damn word about Cory last year when he was a top 5 goalie, but now he's had a bad 15 games and we never should have traded for him and he's not really an elite goalie and he's wasting away, yada yada yada.

I get being upset (I don't like watching these losses anymore than any Devils fan) but can we maybe take a step back and not just blow the whole damn team up and throw whatever plan we've had for the last 18 months out the window?

Rebuilding sucks. It's painful, it's frustrating, it makes you want to break things. This team still has holes that need to be filled, and until they are filled, it's probably going to be ugly at times. But big picture I still think we're headed the right direction. It just looks like there's going to be some more pain before we get where we want to go.

Thank you. After the last 3 years and the way Cory has performed, you would think he would have gained a bit more of a leash here but I'm never surprised by what I read anymore. People are always willing to ship anyone out the door the minute their game dips for any reason.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'd give Hynes a pink slip long before moving Cory. Beyond that, I think I've already made clear my feelings about this team's current performance level and the coaching we are seeing, so I won't say anything else about it. My feelings won't be changing until what I'm seeing from this team changes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thank you. After the last 3 years and the way Cory has performed, you would think he would have gained a bit more of a leash here but I'm never surprised by what I read anymore. People are always willing to ship anyone out the door the minute their game dips for any reason.

People are willing to trade just about anyone because the team stinks and has stunk for 5 years now.

And if this rebuild is going to take longer then expected then whats the point of holding onto this elite goalie who turns 31 in about 4 months?

Not necessarily advocating trading schneids, and I'm willing to hold off on making a trade until the deadline. But if at that time, we are still playing like this? Man there are not many guys who I see as too valuable to trade.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

"The minute their game dips"? This group is a bunch of losers going on five years now. How long does it have to be in order for it to become acceptable to consider some different alternative solutions for getting this team back on track?

I get the idea of patience and pushing back against Jekyll & Hyde / chicken little fans. Believe me, I've been around these boards for going on eight years now so I've seen it time and again with our fans. When the team was still making the playoffs regularly, some of the things being said and ideas proposed after losses would be absolutely absurd. But it's been five years now of truly sucky on ice product. It's five years now of the same trash, same mistakes, same lack of talent, same excuse making, same acceptance of losing. We have a new GM who certainly has made some moves in the right direction, but seems to lack a clear identity he is aiming for and now in his second season the team is probably playing worse hockey than the Mickey Mouse 80's. At some point I think we as fans have earned the right to question things or bring new ideas without being mocked or dismissed.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
"The minute their game dips"? This group is a bunch of losers going on five years now. How long does it have to be in order for it to become acceptable to consider some different alternative solutions for getting this team back on track?

I get the idea of patience and pushing back against Jekyll & Hyde / chicken little fans. Believe me, I've been around these boards for going on eight years now so I've seen it time and again with our fans. When the team was still making the playoffs regularly, some of the things being said and ideas proposed after losses would be absolutely absurd. But it's been five years now of truly sucky on ice product. It's five years now of the same trash, same mistakes, same lack of talent, same excuse making, same acceptance of losing. We have a new GM who certainly has made some moves in the right direction, but seems to lack a clear identity he is aiming for and now in his second season the team is probably playing worse hockey than the Mickey Mouse 80's. At some point I think we as fans have earned the right to question things or bring new ideas without being mocked or dismissed.

I agree !! The core of throws current group. Henrique. Zajac. Greene. Have been failures. It's time to start fresh. Get rid of them or some of them and see what happens. Henrique is a nice player but is inconsistent Greene is a nice player but 34 years old and having his worst season in a long time and his value is tanking. He should have been traded last season. Zajac is having a great year. Perfect time to trade him. There are opportunities here to help rebuild. But you have to be willing to part w some guys. This is garbage what is going on w this team. I truly don't even want to go to the games. Not being spoiled brat. I really have no desire to bring myself to watch them get their ass kicked

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I'd give Hynes a pink slip long before moving Cory. Beyond that, I think I've already made clear my feelings about this team's current performance level and the coaching we are seeing, so I won't say anything else about it. My feelings won't be changing until what I'm seeing from this team changes.

If they are winless in next 2 or 3 he is gone. Has to be or shero needs to go too

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree !! The core of throws current group. Henrique. Zajac. Greene. Have been failures. It's time to start fresh. Get rid of them or some of them and see what happens. Henrique is a nice player but is inconsistent Greene is a nice player but 34 years old and having his worst season in a long time and his value is tanking. He should have been traded last season. Zajac is having a great year. Perfect time to trade him. There are opportunities here to help rebuild. But you have to be willing to part w some guys. This is garbage what is going on w this team. I truly don't even want to go to the games. Not being spoiled brat. I really have no desire to bring myself to watch them get their ass kicked

Was thinking the same, usually I like going during the holiday week, but I am not feeling it in the least.

On the other hand seats will be cheap.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So I'm watching this game on DVR and Nashville just scored the shortie to make it 5-0.

Oh wait, we scored!!!!!!!! Glad I kept watching.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Cory Schneider is not an elite goaltender, period. once you remove those expectations it makes it a little easier to deal with his slumps. I think he isn't quite as bad as he's been lately but clearly not who I would have traded a top draft pick for.

I had a bad feeling about that trade the minute it was announced.

love these absolutes :laugh:

even though, ya know, hes 2nd in NHL history in actually stopping the puck (was 1st before this bad stretch I believe). But yes, this quarter of the season stretch is what REALLY defines his career....

considering your avatar (and your comments back when 30 was still on the team), I'm not surprised though.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
People are willing to trade just about anyone because the team stinks and has stunk for 5 years now.

And if this rebuild is going to take longer then expected then whats the point of holding onto this elite goalie who turns 31 in about 4 months?

Not necessarily advocating trading schneids, and I'm willing to hold off on making a trade until the deadline. But if at that time, we are still playing like this? Man there are not many guys who I see as too valuable to trade.

In this particular instance, I'm advocating that those who are now claiming Schneider is not a good goalie and want to see him traded are overreacting based off of this awful stretch. They're completely disregarding his play for the last 3 years based on this season. I find that to be absurd.

And while not completely dismissing the idea of trading anyone, obviously I'm open to it if the team's play calls for it, people seem to think those trades will provide an easy fix. They won't, in fact, it'll create more holes at the time and further the rebuilding process most likely. Also, the idea that this rebuild is "taking longer than expected" is kind of amusing, it's been about a year and a half. Not many teams turn it around that quickly after the roster turnover we've had. So, forgive me for not wanting to toss everyone overboard right away. There's been calls by some for trading Schneider, Hall and Zacha in the last 48 hours, so I'm a bit on edge when it comes to this.

While I get what you're saying, this regime has not been here 5 years. Yes, it's the same organization but the turnover from that period of time has been pretty drastic. New owners, new GM, new coaches and virtually an entirely new roster save Zajac, Greene, Henrique and Josefson. It's far from the same excuses, where Lou was clinging to the idea that we could stay competitive and this group is embracing a rebuild. I get it, I'm dying for playoff hockey myself, and last year I was encouraged by the team overachieving with the overall lack of talent, but this isn't all that surprising to me. I didn't think they'd go on a stretch like this, but I didn't think they were as good as their initial month indicated.

It's not easy, I understand. But I don't think that making trades for the sake of making them is going to make this rebuilding process go any faster. It's easy for any of us to just say "Cast off this guy, he's a bum" but what do we realistically think that trading any player is going to fetch us? More importantly, who takes their spot? Are we going to throw these unproven kids into a no-win situation? There's quite a bit that can backfire from having an itchy trigger finger.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Was thinking the same, usually I like going during the holiday week, but I am not feeling it in the least.

On the other hand seats will be cheap.

The Devils have been so bad of late I skipped watching the game last night ... opted to watch episodes of Man In The High Castle instead. Turns out it was a brilliant move.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
One of the worst games I've ever been to. Team died after the first goal and the crowd died with them. There a few people in my section who tried getting the crowd going with me but we basically stopped caring by the end of the second. It's a damn shame.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
One of the worst games I've ever been to. Team died after the first goal and the crowd died with them. There a few people in my section who tried getting the crowd going with me but we basically stopped caring by the end of the second. It's a damn shame.

If the Devils can't even keep games close when they lose, it's going to be an uphill battle to convince fans to spend hard-earned money watching a team that looks like they don't care about winning or putting in an honest effort. These are real concerns that some around here will continue to gloss over, but many fans aren't going to want to spend a good amount of cash on a not-so-good product.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

We never leave a game early. I can no longer say that. Left with 6 minutes to go. That was as pathetic an effort as I've seen in a long time.

Does anyone doubt this is very likely to extend to 12 games? Look at the schedule for the next five - Phil, Pitt, Pitt, Wash, Wash. Happy New Year.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Feeling so fortunate now that we attended the opener (we always do) and a few more of the home wins that followed (MIN, TBL, BUF). I think there was one more win we attended in there but can't remember now. Given the current state of affairs I'm feeling far less eager having tickets to 7 more games this season...

I mean this will always be my team but come on...this is sickly stuff.

Something has to give they can't go on like this. I'm concerned for the younger players having to withstand questionable effort from some of our alleged vets. The team looks to be in a death spiral right now and really appear to have quit on the coach at this point. It was more obvious than ever vs. Preds last night.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Feeling so fortunate now that we attended the opener (we always do) and a few more of the home wins that followed (MIN, TBL, BUF). I think there was one more win we attended in there but can't remember now. Given the current state of affairs I'm feeling far less eager having tickets to 7 more games this season...

I mean this will always be my team but come on...this is sickly stuff.

Something has to give they can't go on like this. I'm concerned for the younger players having to withstand questionable effort from some of our alleged vets. The team looks to be in a death spiral right now and really appear to have quit on the coach at this point. It was more obvious than ever vs. Preds last night.

Agreed. Given the teams they play the next five games, I don't see Hynes surviving much longer.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Has anyone ever seen a Devils team this content with losing? Does anyone on the team care? Is anyone mad? Can someone show some emotion? Get into a fight? Break a stick? Greene and Voldemort Hynes say the same thing after every game. There no sense of urgency or sense that this is unacceptable. There is no leadership at all. That is the most concerning part.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Agreed. Given the teams they play the next five games, I don't see Hynes surviving much longer.

Apparently he looked as if he'd been crying before the press conference. At this point, it's probably a mercy to fire him. Guy is clearly lost and has lost the room. Prolonging his agony isn't going to make this team better. Just bite the bullet and give him the ax.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I would have flat left at 4-0 except my friends for whatever reason stayed so I just hung with them till the final buzzer. I was too apathetic to boo at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad