GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Nashville Predators: The Sing Along

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
While I get what you're saying, this regime has not been here 5 years. Yes, it's the same organization but the turnover from that period of time has been pretty drastic. New owners, new GM, new coaches and virtually an entirely new roster save Zajac, Greene, Henrique and Josefson. It's far from the same excuses, where Lou was clinging to the idea that we could stay competitive and this group is embracing a rebuild. I get it, I'm dying for playoff hockey myself, and last year I was encouraged by the team overachieving with the overall lack of talent, but this isn't all that surprising to me. I didn't think they'd go on a stretch like this, but I didn't think they were as good as their initial month indicated.

It's not easy, I understand. But I don't think that making trades for the sake of making them is going to make this rebuilding process go any faster. It's easy for any of us to just say "Cast off this guy, he's a bum" but what do we realistically think that trading any player is going to fetch us? More importantly, who takes their spot? Are we going to throw these unproven kids into a no-win situation? There's quite a bit that can backfire from having an itchy trigger finger.

The problem with what your saying is that it's an inaccurate assessment of what many of us are proposing, and also the vision is much too linear. I don't think anyone is proposing making trades just for the sake of trading, certainly not me. Obviously any trades have to involve valuable pieces coming back - whether it's picks, prospects, or young players. And the idea that if/when those trades are made no one is going to be there to take their spot - that's the linear thinking. Replacements would come in various forms - potentially through the trades, free agent signings of stop gap players, giving existing prospects a chance, PTO signings, waiver wire, etc. etc.

People keep saying that trading away Schneider or Greene or Zajac is going to prolong the rebuild. I'd argue that hanging on to them is likely prolonging the rebuild. If you draft right - particularly with forwards - they can make an impact within the next 1-3 years. That's how the league is trending - the truly talented players are making their mark early on. We need to get the talent on D and O aligned so that there is a window of opportunity to actually compete within the next few years. If we continue the path we are on now, in 3 years we will have filled the holes we currently have but we will have new ones as those players we decided to hang onto have aged and regressed.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Been to some stinkers at The Rock before but this one was a real letdown. Had great seats 20 rows from the ice on the blueline, and got that ****show. Ended up leaving at 4-0, couldnt take it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad