GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM MSG+

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not even sure they have a system right now. It's just drop back and let the goalie bail them out all the time with an occasional counter punch. Its a Pejorative Slured version of the 90's.

This is the trap system Florida and all those other expansion teams played in the late '90's to be competitive. Get outshot 45-21 and try to win 2-1. That's what we've been reduced to now. OUR trap system was never this regressive, even in the Lemaire days.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The lack of speed causes most of our puck possession issues.

They just don't get to loose pucks and get pinned much too often.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Just saw the highlights. Didn't know JJ scored. Wow Fraser is complete and utter dog **** and Zids is lazy as ****.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Their fans might be the most annoying in the lead. All that booing and the stupid Ole song. Blech.

Habs and Laughs fans are the worst by far. They're extremely passionate, but they think they are entitled to everything, but their teams have been irrelevant for years (except for the Habs trip to the ECF last year). They're very obnoxious too.

I like Montreal because I have family there and I absolutely love that city, but their fans are awful.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Habs and Laughs fans are the worst by far. They're extremely passionate, but they think they are entitled to everything, but their teams have been irrelevant for years (except for the Habs trip to the ECF last year). They're very obnoxious too.

I like Montreal because I have family there and I absolutely love that city, but their fans are awful.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. That's Montreal and Toronto fans in a nutshell. Two insufferable fan bases.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
This is the trap system Florida and all those other expansion teams played in the late '90's to be competitive. Get outshot 45-21 and try to win 2-1. That's what we've been reduced to now. OUR trap system was never this regressive, even in the Lemaire days.

I mean, Pete sucked ass but at least they had an identity under him. This is just, lets scale everything back, get shelled, barely put any pressure on the other team, and win by a miracle Schneider performance and a couple fluky goals or catch the other team napping.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's this, FIVE games of 40+ shots against since that piece of **** Fraser has been in the lineup?

Guess how many 40+ shots against games we had before he played this season? ONE!

Add Fraser to a team that already gives us a lot of shots like we have this year, you get 40+ some nights. It turns into a disaster.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

We had the horses to capitalize on the counterattack. The current team does nothing with turnovers.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
The worst part is that we're pissing away draft pick rank with this effed up system.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I mean, Pete sucked ass but at least they had an identity under him. This is just, lets scale everything back, get shelled, barely put any pressure on the other team, and win by a miracle Schneider performance and a couple fluky goals or catch the other team napping.

I am thrilled watching a shellacking every night because Larsson gets to play 1D minutes and JJ isn't in the doghouse anymore.

If they can kick Fraser to the curb tomorrow, I'll be terribly happy

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
What's this, FIVE games of 40+ shots against since that piece of **** Fraser has been in the lineup?

Guess how many 40+ shots against games we had before he played this season? ONE!

Add Fraser to a team that already gives us a lot of shots like we have this year, you get 40+ some nights. It turns into a disaster.

You really called it when you said he'll play more than he should and completely overstay his welcome, lol. I just don't get how he's had carte blanche to be in the lineup every night. Its like Gelinas did something behind the scenes to piss them off. I know hes an adventure in his own end but he can at least bring you offense. Fraser brings you bupkus.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Montreal was abusing us with their speed on the perimeter. Way too easy.

This is our main issue. We are just too old and slow. The game has changed and is played at a faster pace, Lou has to change with it and get faster players.

I liked how Desharnais looked for the Habs tonight, he's got speed and could be easily attainable from what Habs fans have been saying.e

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You really called it when you said he'll play more than he should and completely overstay his welcome, lol. I just don't get how he's had carte blanche to be in the lineup every night. Its like Gelinas did something behind the scenes to piss them off. I know hes an adventure in his own end but he can at least bring you offense. Fraser brings you bupkus.

Not to mention Hegelson. He brings the same 'elements' Fraser does only with more talent and he never got above 10/12 minutes in a game.

And the great Oates PP has been total dog**** since they got rid of Gelinas and put Tootoo on the first unit. That's the one real negative difference with this staff and Pete/Barr, at least that PP worked.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Have we ever actually gotten an explanation as to why Fraser is in the lineup? or is TG too scared to ask Lou a semi imposing question because he might end up getting dumped into the Hudson River.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I am thrilled watching a shellacking every night because Larsson gets to play 1D minutes and JJ isn't in the doghouse anymore.

If they can kick Fraser to the curb tomorrow, I'll be terribly happy

JJ still needs to play more. Give Ruutu some more minutes too.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Not to mention Hegelson. He brings the same 'elements' Fraser does only with more talent and he never got above 10/12 minutes in a game.

And the great Oates PP has been total dog**** since they got rid of Gelinas and put Tootoo on the first unit.

I REALLY liked Helgeson in his time up here. He brings the physical game we needed on the backend, but isn't a traffic cone like Fraser or Salvador.

And Tootoo playing on the first PP unit blew my mind, can't even comment on that lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Have we ever actually gotten an explanation as to why Fraser is in the lineup? or is TG too scared to ask Lou a semi imposing question because he might end up getting dumped into the Hudson River.

Apparently TG's been laid up with Devils flu recently lol

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice · 10h 10 hours ago
Back out of commission for a couple more days after relapse. Doctor says sinus infection or flu. Disappointed to miss trip to Montréal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

The fights early in his stint. Him and Too Too throwing down kind of sparked the team, and they've been rewarded with minutes ever since.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I really don't see much difference between Helgeson and Fraser to be honest. They're both pretty limited players.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I think the reason Tootoo gets onto the PP is because he's one of the only forwards who isn't afraid to get to the net and can stay there.

Cammy is needed else where, Zub is too old and useless, Zajac... no.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sign Stephen Valliquette to replace Fraser please.

John MacLean or EJ Hradek will do too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad