GDT: New Jersey Devils VS. Calgary Flames / 7:30 PM EST / MSG & SNW / PAYBACK EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can't just bench someone because they made two mental mistakes. Unfortunately for Severson they both led to goals. But what about Lovejoy's countless mistakes game after game. They didn't lead to goals today, but they cost us time that could have been had in the offensive zone. There were 49 chances that Calgary had today. 29 of them came when Lovejoy was on the ice. And this stuff happens every game. Why aren't people screaming for him to be benched.

Lovejoy's slow, overused and he plays a ton of PK minutes so obviously he's going to have more scoring chances against him. But he wasn't anywhere to be found on the last two goals against either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the other choices are Quincey, Severson and Helgeson I'd put Lovejoy at least third on my preference list of who to use in OT sadly, after the disgusting display from 22 and 28 tonight. Maybe second assuming Santini will never get preference over Lovejoy atm.

I understand not using Santini in OT, since he's not really an offense guy

But neither is Lovejoy, so I'm not sure why the need for him in OT so much. I still cringe whenever thinking of that fairly recent OT where he was put out for a defensive zone draw and circled around his end, killing an easy 30-40 seconds because he couldn't get the puck out. What a disaster that was.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Lovejoy's slow, overused and he plays a ton of PK minutes so obviously he's going to have more scoring chances against him. But he wasn't anywhere to be found on the last two goals against either.

That 29 was on 5 on 5 only. So I didn't account for the chances on the PK. 57% of their chances 5 on 5 came when Lovejoy was on the ice. That's bad. And like I said, it happens almost every game. Severson gives you offense too, Lovejoy doesn't.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can't just bench someone because they made two mental mistakes. Unfortunately for Severson they both led to goals. But what about Lovejoy's countless mistakes game after game. They didn't lead to goals today, but they cost us time that could have been had in the offensive zone. There were 49 chances that Calgary had today. 29 of them came when Lovejoy was on the ice. And this stuff happens every game. Why aren't people screaming for him to be benched.

He was awful tonight, pinned in his own end a lot. I would bet he and Greene were on for more Flames chances than anybody. Which, I know they probably played the most minutes, so that's no surprise. But they couldn't get out of their end tonight.

The last minute of regulation was a comedy of errors with Lovejoy. That's when I asked ''Is Lovejoy a brand of mouse traps?''

I understand he gets played in a role greater than his capabilities, but I'm not sure why he's defended so much either. He hasn't been good at all. I'd be willing to keep him around, if we can do so in a way where he's not our #2 or #3 defenseman. And I still stand by the signing being one that was NEEDED in order to keep guys like Helgeson (who has already played 6 games this year and that's SIX more games than he should have played at all!) off the roster. He's in way over his head in this role though.

Just like a lot of players on this team, possibly even members of this coaching staff as well....

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That 29 was on 5 on 5 only. So I didn't account for the chances on the PK. 57% of their chances 5 on 5 came when Lovejoy was on the ice. That's bad. And like I said, it happens almost every game. Severson gives you offense too, Lovejoy doesn't.

Fact is even with all those numbers, Lovejoy's not getting sat - it's just unrealistic at this point the first year into a three-year deal when the alternatives are even bigger tire fires like Helgeson. It's like wanting to sit Camm, sure he hasn't been playing well but what's the alternative there, DSP? :laugh: You might get Lovejoy claimed in the expansion draft if Merrill stays healthy long enough to warrant a protected spot, but that's after the season.

And Severson's offense is a little overrated, sure he gives you the occasional secondary assist, but he hasn't had a goal in three months after a one-goal season last year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean, it's the same story - if the game goes into OT or a shootout, expect that to be the most discussed part of the game even though it's barely hockey and doesn't exist in the playoffs.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Fact is even with all those numbers, Lovejoy's not getting sat - it's just unrealistic at this point the first year into a three-year deal when the alternatives are even bigger tire fires like Helgeson. It's like wanting to sit Camm, sure he hasn't been playing well but what's the alternative there, DSP? :laugh:

And Severson's offense is a little overrated, sure he gives you the occasional secondary assist, but he hasn't had a goal in three months after a one-goal season last year.

But it shouldn't be this way. Just because Shero and Hynes messed up this off-season with the Lovejoy deal doesn't mean they have to continue playing him when he hurts the team. And if you won't sit Lovejoy because of the replacements, why would you sit Severson?

Severson is still 43rd in the league amongst defenseman in 5 on 5 points. That certainly isn't bad. And that's on a bad offensive team.

Like I said, do the mistakes he make suck? Yes they do, especially when it appears he gets a bit unlucky and some lead to goals. But that's his play style. He's one of the only defenseman on this team that can handle the puck and get it out of his zone. He takes risk. It's part of his style. Someone like Lovejoy never has the puck so his mistakes look less obvious to the eye.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lovejoy had some really, really bad plays tonight. He's terrible. A disaster of a signing. But he's just not going to get sat in Year 1 here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But it shouldn't be this way. Just because Shero and Hynes messed up this off-season with the Lovejoy deal doesn't mean they have to continue playing him when he hurts the team. And if you won't sit Lovejoy because of the replacements, why would you sit Severson?

Severson is still 43rd in the league amongst defenseman in 5 on 5 points. That certainly isn't bad. And that's on a bad offensive team.

Like I said, do the mistakes he make suck? Yes they do, especially when it appears he gets a bit unlucky and some lead to goals. But that's his play style. He's one of the only defenseman on this team that can handle the puck and get it out of his zone. He takes risk. It's part of his style. Someone like Lovejoy never has the puck so his mistakes look less obvious to the eye.

I'm sitting Severson for one game, not eternity. He's 22, hasn't been playing all that well lately and clearly still needs some tough love.

Zacha improved after he got sat, sometimes it can be a learning tool for a young player.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'm sitting Severson for 'one' game, not eternity. He's 22, hasn't been playing all that well lately and clearly still needs some tough love.

Zacha improved after he got sat, sometimes it can be a learning tool.

I mean, I guess one game I could kind of buy if you really want to send a message. But it wouldn't help us win. Severson with the mistakes is still out best defenseman. If we had more defenseman like him that could create chances in the offensive zone and being able to hold and exit zones, we would be doing much better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lovejoy had some really, really bad plays tonight. He's terrible. A disaster of a signing. But he's just not going to get sat in Year 1 here.

He makes really, really bad plays most nights. He had a stretch of about 3 or 4 good games a few weeks back, but other than that, he's been pretty bad.

I think the signing was the right call at the time, but it could be a disaster going forward if he's not strictly a bottom pairing guy next year.

It would be a crime at the very least to protect him from Vegas next year. If he leaves a hole in the lineup, it can be replaced by signing another Quincey type out there for one year at the end of the offseason.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.

The bad news is that we play Columbus and they've been a good bet for a loss ever since they've been in our division.

The good news is we actually beat them the last time we played them! And we've won like 5 in a row on the road?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Goalies have little to no chance on a backdoor play.

It's like when all those clowns ripped Marty for allowing that goal tying goal to Carolina in game 7 because "It went through his legs". It went through his legs as he was sliding over. Now the Staal game winner and Ruutu goal in the first minute were bad, and might have been the only stoppable goals he allowed all series. The amount of heat he took for the Jokinen goal was not justified though.

The go-ahead goal was mostly Colin White's fault for a terrible pinch to make a hit at the red line which left Mike Mottau out to dry in a 2 on 1 situation and the only Devil near him that was back checking was a 40 year old Brendan Shanahan.

That game probably stung the most of any sporting event I've ever seen. If there was any Devils team post lockout you thought would have made a serious run, it was that team. Even more so than the 2012 team. Thats what made that game even worse.

Lovejoy is effective in the right role.

He hasn't been in the right role on this team because of the lack of depth at his position which has led to some of the frustrating play we've seen from him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.

The bad news is that we play Columbus and they've been a good bet for a loss ever since they've been in our division.

The good news is we actually beat them the last time we played them! And we've won like 5 in a row on the road?

Would it really surprise anyone if we somehow beat Columbus (probably despite getting horribly outshot), then get blown out by the Sabres on Monday?

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Sigh, well I'll refrain from making a GDT for a while :/.

I actually thought the Devils played pretty hard and deserved a better fate.

Sigggghhhhhhhh :(

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sigh, well I'll refrain from making a GDT for a while :/.

I actually thought the Devils played pretty hard and deserved a better fate.

Sigggghhhhhhhh :(

It was the best home game I've been to in two months, but that ain't saying crap since I'm 0-6-1 now in that time.

The crowd was really into the game the first two periods but in the third period it got real quiet real fast, the normal feeling of doom set in early when they sat back and did little and they never got the crowd back after.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I don't care about Severson's points right now, his wheels and offensive game will be there but he has to be better and smarter defensively. His coverage or lack there of has been pretty bad at times this season and he's lazy at times too. I want him to simplify things and concentrate on being a good defender first. He really needs to turn things around in that regard like Merrill has.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't care about Severson's points right now, his wheels and offensive game will be there but he has to be better and smarter defensively. His coverage or lack there of has been pretty bad at times this season and he's lazy at times too. I want him to simplify things and concentrate on being a good defender first. He really needs to turn things around in that regard like Merrill has.

Well he is also younger then Merrill for starters. I think people forget how young he is.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
It was the best home game I've been to in two months, but that ain't saying crap since I'm 0-6-1 now in that time.

The crowd was really into the game the first two periods but in the third period it got real quiet real fast, the normal feeling of doom set in early when they sat back and did little and they never got the crowd back after.

I made my annual trip to the Rock from DC for a Devils home game for tonight's game, and it was very disappointing to see the Devils play so well in the 2nd period after Calgary's second goal and then see a rerun of the 1st period in the 3rd period.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably Bleed's buddy Nilsson.
He's actually been good this season, but even when he stunk on the Islanders and Oilers, we made him look really good.

Buffalo's goaltending is actually not that bad, which is probably why they're not talked about in the same regard that Edmonton was in years past or some of the other poor defensive teams, with really poor goalies. Almost all of their goalies have played well there over the past few years. Even Lindback played some really good hockey in his very brief stint there. Neuvirth was good as their starter/1a. The only bad goaltender there over the last few years was Enroth and Enroth stinks and isn't in the league anymore and probably won't be again, barring a total lucking out like Peter Budaj recently did.

Their defense stinks (which causes the goalies to face a lot of shots and they do stop a more than adequate amount) their offense is trash outside of about 5 players (sounds like another team I know), Dan Bylsma is the most overrated coach ever, that's what you get for tanking and purposely trying to lose games and icing that embarrassing roster and cheering losses in 14-15.
I made my annual trip to the Rock from DC for a Devils home game for tonight's game, and it was very disappointing to see the Devils play so well in the 2nd period after Calgary's second goal and then see a rerun of the 1st period in the 3rd period.
That's a trademark of this team. When the game is tied or we're winning, we play worse. Sometimes we play awful when losing the entire night too, but we must be one of the worst teams when the score or tied or we have a lead. That's even considering that most teams are outshot when having a lead. We take it to a whole new level sometimes. Give Hynes and company credit, if not for their brilliant hockey minds, we'd be getting outshot 49-21 or 49-31, maybe even 31-19 some nights. Can you imagine how bad things would be if that happened?

Oh wait, that was happening at least once a week for about 7 weeks a little while back.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Again, Merill has a higher upside than Severson

Merill has that shutdown D game that Severson simply does not have. Merill can be a true #1 Dman, Severson cannot.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Greene's weak failed clear led to goal against #1,,

I can't wait for Greene to be off the team. Hasn't been good this season, the team's play did not change at all and if anything probably improved with Merill taking his role on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad