Proposal: New Jersey Devils trades (Ottawa & Calgary)

Ledge And Dairy

If Allen the way he has for NJ he’d be fine as a backup in 30-35 games. The issue will be getting a primary goalie. Maybe they can maybe they can’t. Teams make it work with lesser goalies. NJ was great last season with Vanacek so it’s not like they don’t have precedent. They aren’t overpaying for a goalie. Markstrom would be a nice add but it seems like that ship has sailed. Whatever offer NJ and Calgary came close on would be different now and I doubt Calgary would accept less than what they were offered previously and I doubt NJ would offer the same thing given that they’d get less time with Markstrom. C’est la vie.
To be a true contender you need to have at least 2/3 of Offense, Defense, and Goaltending at an elite level, with the 3rd being good.

Last year the Devil's had elite offense and defense but still relatively weak goaltending. Losing Graves, Severson, Wood, and Tatar hurt their defensive game a lot (not to mention McLeod too, but for external reasons). L. Hughes is pure offense so he was never going to be able to replace the defense that Severson or Graves provided. Then you had the Dougie injury but Nemec stepped in decently there. So either New Jersey is going to have to heavily bolster their defensive game or upgrade goaltending, ideally they should want to do both though

Reactions: Smitty426

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To be a true contender you need to have at least 2/3 of Offense, Defense, and Goaltending at an elite level, with the 3rd being good.

Last year the Devil's had elite offense and defense but still relatively weak goaltending. Losing Graves, Severson, Wood, and Tatar hurt their defensive game a lot (not to mention McLeod too, but for external reasons). L. Hughes is pure offense so he was never going to be able to replace the defense that Severson or Graves provided. Then you had the Dougie injury but Nemec stepped in decently there. So either New Jersey is going to have to heavily bolster their defensive game or upgrade goaltending, ideally they should want to do both though
I’m sure they want to do both but realistically they are returning a defense largely in place assuming Hamilton is ok. Maybe they can upgrade Bahl but he’s pretty cost effective. Same for Siegenthaler. I’m sure they will add a goalie but they seem to be thr only ones looking and it’s not worth grossly overpaying for one given how volatile they can be.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m sure they want to do both but realistically they are returning a defense largely in place assuming Hamilton is ok. Maybe they can upgrade Bahl but he’s pretty cost effective. Same for Siegenthaler. I’m sure they will add a goalie but they seem to be thr only ones looking and it’s not worth grossly overpaying for one given how volatile they can be.
Does NJ try to dump Palat to free up capspace?

Ledge And Dairy

They definitely are not the only team looking for a goalie and that will become more obvious during the playoffs when a team like Toronto for example gets completely outclassed in net. LA attempted to make a goalie trade at the deadline. Colorado was also in the market

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
you don’t think you could get a similar player via UFA for cheaper?
Palat has a NMC so he isn't going nowhere. And it's not reasonable to pay something to dump him and then sign a new, probably overpriced, winger to replace him.

Let's look at the situation again after next season when his M-NMC kicks in or it's more reasonable to buyout his contract. My guess is that they buyout his contract in 2026 if they can't trade him.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
what would the Devils have to trade to get Brady Tkachuk? humor us, please. I want to know!
probably something like this
:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
you don’t think you could get a similar player via UFA for cheaper?

UFA and cheaper don’t really go together. This is why Palat cost so much, this is why the Devils had to let Graves and Severson walk. When you need to be willing to pay more for a player than 31 other teams are willing to, you’re never getting a bargain.

The only exception is if someone lowballs themselves because of their desire to join a specific organization. Something the Devils might hope to get Toffoli to do, but most market free agents aren’t about to go to New Jersey as a discounted preferable destination.

Reactions: Forge

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Devils definitely need to get more gritty and hard to play against guys. They are currently way too soft and easy to play against in their top minute guys. If they could move easy to play against guys and picks for Brady Tkatchuk that would be a great trade for them. Definitely makes them a playoff team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They definitely are not the only team looking for a goalie and that will become more obvious during the playoffs when a team like Toronto for example gets completely outclassed in net. LA attempted to make a goalie trade at the deadline. Colorado was also in the market
And yet no goalies were moved to anyone but NJ at the deadline. So either teams adding a goalie won’t let themselves get taken to the cleaners or the teams looking to move a goalie are asking too much that no team will say yes. If that doesn’t change it’s hard to see too many goalie moves. Maybe Markstrom finally gets dealt but at this point Calgary has to accept he has trade protection and either change what they will accept for him or just keep him. The one thing they can’t do is jerk him around again.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That would be difficult considering he's under contract for 2 more years

I thought he was a UFA in 2025, my apologies. Then yes, Calgary has more leverage in that regard with the extra year in a trade especially with retention but in the offseason it's obviously less likely since teams can go over 10%

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Bounce backs from Siegs, Mercer and Marino will be crucial.

Replacing Bahl/Smith with someone who can make a competent breakout pass would be great. He'd be expensive but i'd be so heavy on Pettersson in pittsburgh

The bottom 6 cannot roll out as many AHL quality players as they did this year.

Size, Speed are needs in the bottom 6: lots of options but imo Trenin should be number 1 for his PK ability, size, physicality, and defensive skills. I'd also like to see boqvist back, a C like strum or evans. Foegele could be a target.

Ideally the lineup I'd roll out:

Bratt-Nico-Meier: let them continue to dominate like they have for months.
Foegele-Hughes-Mercer: Foegele puts that speed to use alongside jack, and mercer provides some grit and netfront touch, and has the skating to keep up. He can also win faceoffs at around 50%
Palat-Haula-Holtz: Not a checking line, but vets for Holtz and can be effective on both sides. Haula-Palat are good possession guys who can set up holtzy and make his life easier
Trenin-Strum-Lazar: big, strong, quality line 4 that can be sent out against anyone
Siegs-Hamilton: siegs has missed Hamilton badly. Get them back together. They work
Pettersson-Marino: played together 2000+ minutes in pittsburgh and an elite shutdown pair and PK pair
Hughes-Nemec: improving, developing, and have dominated when paired together this year. Theyll feast on what will be relatively easy competition
Ullmark
Allen

If we trade down from 9 for a pair of later 1sts that should cover Ullmark+Pettersson, with some extra sweeteners thrown in like Bahl, mid picks.

I think that would be the best squad NJD could build. With that Dcore, if all goes according to plan, honestly I'd even be willing to run out a cheaper goalie like bringing back Kahkonen.

Reactions: Smitty426

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If Colorado buys a goalie tell them to send Georgiev our way.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah, he isn't much better than Vanecek.
lmao after the season he's had they would probably give you him for free

Georgiev: 4.23 GSAx
Vitek: -10.67 GSAx

Over the last 2 years Georgiev is top 15 in the league in GSAx while eating 123 games. If Colorado wants to give him away, sign me up.

He's also only 28 and costs 3.4 million.

Georgiev, Allen, Daws, Schmid is enough in net for giving up limited assets.

Then go use those assets you save on a legit LD.

I'd rather have Georgiev+Marcus Pettersson for 7.4 mill than Markstrom+Bahl for 7.1. In a HEARTBEAT.

If Georgiev is available for free, Calgary better lower their prices and up the retention significantly to compete

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Bounce backs from Siegs, Mercer and Marino will be crucial.

Replacing Bahl/Smith with someone who can make a competent breakout pass would be great. He'd be expensive but i'd be so heavy on Pettersson in pittsburgh

The bottom 6 cannot roll out as many AHL quality players as they did this year.

Size, Speed are needs in the bottom 6: lots of options but imo Trenin should be number 1 for his PK ability, size, physicality, and defensive skills. I'd also like to see boqvist back, a C like strum or evans. Foegele could be a target.

Ideally the lineup I'd roll out:

Bratt-Nico-Meier: let them continue to dominate like they have for months.
Foegele-Hughes-Mercer: Foegele puts that speed to use alongside jack, and mercer provides some grit and netfront touch, and has the skating to keep up. He can also win faceoffs at around 50%
Palat-Haula-Holtz: Not a checking line, but vets for Holtz and can be effective on both sides. Haula-Palat are good possession guys who can set up holtzy and make his life easier
Trenin-Strum-Lazar: big, strong, quality line 4 that can be sent out against anyone
Siegs-Hamilton: siegs has missed Hamilton badly. Get them back together. They work
Pettersson-Marino: played together 2000+ minutes in pittsburgh and an elite shutdown pair and PK pair
Hughes-Nemec: improving, developing, and have dominated when paired together this year. Theyll feast on what will be relatively easy competition
Ullmark
Allen

If we trade down from 9 for a pair of later 1sts that should cover Ullmark+Pettersson, with some extra sweeteners thrown in like Bahl, mid picks.

I think that would be the best squad NJD could build. With that Dcore, if all goes according to plan, honestly I'd even be willing to run out a cheaper goalie like bringing back Kahkonen.
ALL OF THIS!

Reactions: dgibb10

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
id say $16m seems realistic for a long term extension. the sanderson contract changed things.

Luke Hughes is eligible for a contract extension as soon as 2.5 months from now. I would not be surprised if NJ tried to get him signed a contract just under his brother Jack.

Something like 8 years, $6-7 million per.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

This here ^^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad