Proposal: New Jersey Devils trades (Ottawa & Calgary)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This Devils team has locked up most of its money into long-term deals for Hischier, Bratt, Meier, Hughes, and Hamilton. Soon to have decisions to make on Luke and Nemec.

There’s going to be a real need for cheap talent and more than anything this team needs to nail the depth acquisitions. I don’t see the Markstrom trade making us a better team, when the alternative to Siegenthaler costs like 2 million more.

There’s no room for Tkachuk without shipping a big contract out. Especially not at the expensive of some of our better prospects. Keep those assets and look for cheaper acquisitions to round out the middle-six and bottom-six.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I would not pay that much for Tkachuk.

He's a very good player. But his production is the same, if not worse, than Meier's was when we acquired him.

This is LOADS more than we paid for meier, for an albeit younger player.

2024 1st, choice of Holtz or Casey, 2nd that can become a 1st if NJD makes the stanley cup

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
New Jersey Devils - Draft Day Trades

To NJ
Jacob Markstrom ($1.5 million retained)

To CGY
Jonas Siegenthaler
Josh Filmon
Graeme Clarke

To NJ
Brady Tkachuk

To OTT
2024 1st round pick (~10th overall)
Alexander Holtz
Seamus Casey
Nolan Foote
Why would Calgary retain without higher quality coming back?
Why would Florida do that and in what world does Foote have any value. Even ignoring the Team Canada stuff he's a UFA.

Both deals are very one sided.

He's a very good player. But his production is the same, if not worse, than Meier's was when we acquired him.

2024 1st, choice of Holtz or Casey, 2nd that can become a 1st if NJD makes the stanley cup
Tkachuk is way more proven than Meir, and I am not a Tkachuk fan. 1st plus Holtz for a 100 point power forward is a freaking steal.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why would Florida do that and in what world does Foote have any value. Even ignoring the Team Canada stuff he's a UFA.

Tkachuk is way more proven than Meir, and I am not a Tkachuk fan. 1st plus Holtz for a 100 point power forward is a freaking steal.
Brady Tkachuk is and never has been anything close to a 100 point player.

Over the last 2 years he has the exact same PPG as Meier did in the 2 years pre Trade, with less goals per game, and worse defensive metrics than Meier

Wrong Foote.

You seem to have gotten Matthew and Brady Tkachuk mixed up and Cal and Nolan foote mixed up

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Holtz is 7th on the Devils in goals despite being 20th in average TOI/game.

I get the expectations that come with a high draft pick and his troubles with consistency, but after seeing Sharangovich leave NJ and immediately score 30 in CGY you would think teams would be more hesitant to judge talented young players who are not being used appropriately.

He's played:
137 minutes with Jack Hughes
35 minutes with Nico Hischier
18 minutes with Jesper Bratt

620 mins with none of those three

People act like he's a bust or a throw in. The fact of the matter is that he's close to 20 goals while only getting 11 minutes a night with Chris Tierney and Max Willman. If NJ punts on this player too early they'll come to regret it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

I get the expectations that come with a high draft pick and his troubles with consistency, but after seeing Sharangovich leave NJ and immediately score 30 in CGY you would think teams would be more hesitant to judge talented young players who are not being used appropriately.

He's played:

People act like he's a bust or a throw in. The fact of the matter is that he's close to 20 goals while only getting 11 minutes a night with Chris Tierney and Max Willman. If NJ punts on this player too early they'll come to regret it.
This would such a massive haul to pay.

More than the Hagel trade, more than the Eichel trade, more than the seth Jones trade, more than the Matthew Tkachuk trade , more than the Meier trade.

• Haha
Reactions: bert

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Younger player, and also under contract for 4 more seasons compared to Meier being a pending RFA.

I do think your revision should be enough to at least get Ottawa thinking. Especially if the rumors are true that Brady wants out.

You got the Tkachuk brothers mixed up and also got the Foote brothers mixed up :laugh:

He's played:

Agree with everything - but trading him for Brady Tkachuk wouldn't be punting on Holtz. It would be using Holtz to acquire Tkachuk

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Younger player, and also under contract for 4 more seasons compared to Meier being a pending RFA.

I do think your revision should be enough to at least get Ottawa thinking. Especially if the rumors are true that Brady wants out.

You got the Tkachuk brothers mixed up and also got the Foote brothers mixed up :laugh:
Meier's contract extension (which would have been certainly expected), means overall he will make 73.4 mill over 9 years in NJD, or 8.15 a year.

The certainty does add value, as does the age, which is why the pick offered here is currently 10th overall instead of 26th. The gap to move up that much is likely another 1st round pick of value.

I'd also have Holtz>Casey>=Shakir imo, although you could debate Shakir and Casey and I would be fine either way.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Brady Tkachuk is not worth more than what Eichel or Matthew got
well maybe he is, because Calgary and Buffalo were under pressure to move the asset
so far, the 'Brady unhappy' chatter is just fanboy and pundit speculation

to convince a team to move a very valuable, hard-to-replace asset,
you may have to pay dearly
Casey's kinda small while Nolan been around a while,
that package may not tempt Ottawa, even if NJD fans decide its fair

the Markstrom deal is a prayer of an underpay
Clarke having strong AHL season but will be waivers-vulnerable
Filmon a longshot 6th having a strong overage WHL season,
Siegi a nice depth D but not a needle-mover

OP's personal branding has frequently been to bundle up pieces NUD wont miss,
for precisely what they think team needs

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
well maybe he is, because Calgary and Buffalo were under pressure to move the asset
so far, the 'Brady unhappy' chatter is just fanboy and pundit speculation

to convince a team to move a very valuable, hard-to-replace asset,
you may have to pay dearly
Casey's kinda small while Nolan been around a while,
that package may not tempt Ottawa, even if NJD fans decide its fair

the Markstrom deal is an prayer of an underpay
Clarke having strong AHL season but will be waivers-vulnerable
Filmon a longshot 6th having a strong overage WHL season,
Siegi a nice depth D but not a needle-mover

NJD will significantly miss Casey Holtz and a top 10 pick.

Tkachuk will only be on the market if ottawa is actively trying to sell him, or if he wants out. In either scenario he is then the same scenario of Eichel. I'd offer the Eichel package, or the Meier package+

Markstrom is also a distressed asset. Frankly I wouldn't offer siegenthaler for him. At 1.5 mill retained I'd offer a conditional 2025 1st that becomes our 2 2nds if NJD misses the playoffs for Markstrom. He's been an absolute disaster lately, sporting a 0.875 in 13 games since valentine's day. Overall that brings him to sub 0.900 in the last 2 years for markstrom, and for his age 35 and age 36 seasons, it's a large gamble to take him on. Anything more than that and my calls go towards the younger, better Ullmark.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

its Ottawa's Tkachuk not Florida's. And its Nolan Foote not Cal Foote.

But both deals are extremely one sided regardless

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

OP's personal branding is also in line with Tom Fitzgerald's personal branding. Using excess assets to acquire a team need.

That's how NJ got Meier, that's how NJ got Marino, and that's how NJ got Toffoli.

Trading away 10th overall and Seamus Casey does not qualify as "pieces NJD won't miss" ... Those are 2 very significant assets.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
OP's personal branding is also in line with Tom Fitzgerald's personal branding. Using excess assets to acquire a team need.

That's how NJ got Meier, that's how NJ got Marino, and that's how NJ got Toffoli.

Trading away 10th overall and Seamus Casey does not qualify as "pieces NJD won't miss" ... Those are 2 very significant assets.
It's also just how trades in general works.

If Ottawa wants more win now pieces we could try and build a package with Hamilton as the centerpiece similar to the Matthew tkachuk deal with huberdeau as the centerpiece.

Hamilton+2024 1st

But if they want futures it's going to be a collection of smaller assets, like it is every single time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Doesn't seem like enough for Tkachuk or at least I don't get why Ottawa would want to do it for that package. As for Calgary, I don't think prospect wing is really hitting a particular need for them.

Since we're at D+5 for Foote/Clarke, their "value" might not be as high as you'd hope for since they can't be sent to the AHL without waivers. Guys like Ty Smith, Grigori Denisenko, Tobias Bjornfot, and Lassi Thomson already hit waivers while somebody like Calen Addison had limited value.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I would love to just go back through the threads pre Matthew Tkachuk trade, pre Eichel trade, and pre Meier trade and to see just how far off everyone was overrating the returns

Remember when sharks fans were convinced it would take Nemec Hughes or Mercer to get Meier.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would love to just go back through the threads pre Matthew Tkachuk trade, pre Eichel trade, and pre Meier trade and to see just how far off everyone was overrating the returns

Remember when sharks fans were convinced it would take Nemec Hughes or Mercer to get Meier.

Every Sharks fan had Luke Hughes in their proposals for Meier :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Calgary trade I could see happening. They have a hole with Hanifin traded, and seem unwilling to do a complete rebuild.

Ottawa trade is never happening.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The price suggested for Brady only makes sense if Ottawa has actively decided to move on from him, and I just don't see them thinking that way.
I agree and Ottawa won't be looking for pieces to rebuild, they would want a star player as a centerpoint in a trade. Holtz is far, far, far, far, far from that as a centerpiece. Ottawa would look for quality, not quantity.

Ottawa has to be in compete mode now. Zegras ++ would be more in line with the basis of a Brady trade.

Reactions: Guttersniped

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I agree and Ottawa won't be looking for pieces to rebuild, they would want a star player as a centerpoint in a trade. Holtz is far, far, far, far, far from that as a centerpiece. Ottawa would look for quality, not quantity.

Ottawa has to be in compete mode now.
I wonder if a comparison can be made with the Nordiques of circa 1994, who moved Sundin for Clark - trading youth for a strong leader. Now, style-wise they are polar opposites*, but maybe a leader who's farther into his carreer would make sense.

*: Meaning there is more of a Clark/Tkachuk comparison to be made than a Tkachuk/Sundin one (stylistically), but in my scenario Tkachuk/Sundin are the talented kids and the proven leader is Clark/TBD

EDIT: trying to add clarity

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad