GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Tampa Bay Lightning: Early Minimalist Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I definitely see the potential in Speers and Wood, but they need time.
Yeah

It's not that they're bad, they're just in roles where they can't be much of a factor right now. And there's no room on the roster for them to be in roles that exceed the role they are in now, without scratching some of the guys that we need in there.

And that's why I say, I'd rather use the veteran JAG's in that spot than them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah

It's not that they're bad, they're just in roles where they can't be much of a factor right now. And there's no room on the roster for them to be in roles that exceed the role they are in now, without scratching some of the guys that we need in there.

And that's why I say, I'd rather use the veteran JAG's in that spot than them.

They are also raw. They are doing some good stuff, but also doing some doofy stuff

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The kids are just getting their 9 games and probably getting sent back after that...

We don't need to give Wood 9 games, he's free to go to Albany at any time. Speers and Zacha are not. I think Zacha is here to stay, unless he really looks bad over the next 8 games. Speers seems like he'd be the first guy sent back.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
We aren't doing the tanking talk.

Only warning.

Plus the new rules pretty much eliminate the benefit of tanking with the top 3 picks ALL being drawn in a lottery and Vegas getting the same odds as the 3rd worst team and getting to draft 3rd in each subsequent round.

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Just got back from the game. I was at both these last two and tonight was very encouraging. The Devils looked so much better tonight. I get the sentiment we all see that Wood and Speers are not quite ready yet. Never thought I'd say this but we miss Josefson and Kalinin and need them in their place.

Anyway, they had much better zone time and flow to their game tonight. They were supporting each other a lot better. It's funny. They played light years better than last game and have no points to show for it, that's the way it goes I guess.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just got back from the game. I was at both these last two and tonight was very encouraging. The Devils looked so much better tonight. I get the sentiment we all see that Wood and Speers are not quite ready yet. Never thought I'd say this but we miss Josefson and Kalinin and need them in their place.

Anyway, they had much better zone time and flow to their game tonight. They were supporting each other a lot better. It's funny. They played light years better than last game and have no points to show for it, that's the way it goes I guess.

I don't really miss Kalinin and Josefson, I just think that since they're just bodies, they would be more suited for the role's that Wood and Speers are currently filling. Speers and Wood are good prospects and have more to offer than this. But right now, there's no room for them to fill a role that's greater than what they're in.

I just hope the next game isn't going back to Josefson, so we can put him on the PP. Not that I'd have a problem with Josefson in and on the 4th line, but I feel like he won't be on the 4th line until at least one of, if not both of Speers and Wood are gone. I'd rather not make any lineup changes than make a change that puts him back on, with possibly Bennett again a scratch to boot.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
We don't need to give Wood 9 games, he's free to go to Albany at any time. Speers and Zacha are not. I think Zacha is here to stay, unless he really looks bad over the next 8 games. Speers seems like he'd be the first guy sent back.

I forgot Zacha was technically a kid still. I meant they were going to give Speers 9 games. Since Wood works so well with Speers he may go back at that time too. That's if they decide the end the experiment and send them both back now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really like Fiddler on the PK.

Thought he was a beast on the PK once again.

When watching Hall, it's clear that he's the most talented player on this team and the best player on the ice not named Stamkos. I'm sure some people are gonna argue that the Lightning have multiple players better than Hall, but I don't think anyone other than Stamkos is currently better than him.

I've already seen a few botched shots that Hall would have gotten sweet assists on. That Henrique one in OT against Florida being the most memorable one. There were 2 or 3 tonight, though not quite as bad as the one from Thursday night. I used to joke that we had nothing but chest snipers, which is why a player like Joe Thornton (and maybe Hall to some extent) wouldn't be as effective here. But in the last two night's, we've had a lot of glass snipers, as that's where all of Hall's sweet feeds have ended up.

And to hell with ''Parise is (or was) better than Hall''. Parise had 1 season that were probably better than anything Hall will ever do. But there's no way in hell that Hall is not clearly the better offensive player. Aside from 08-09 Parise (and MAYBE 09-10 Parise) and KHL superstar circa 11-12, Hall is the best forward we've had since Elias was in his prime.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I forgot Zacha was technically a kid still. I meant they were going to give Speers 9 games. Since Wood works so well with Speers he may go back at that time too. That's if they decide the end the experiment and send them both back now.

I think they'll have to wait to see what happens with Kalinin. I'm not sure if Kalinin's IR stint for illness is pretty much a paper move because of numbers right now, or if he's really still ill. I mean, I think he really WAS ill, I'm just not sure if this is one of those embellished instances where someone is kept on IR because of a logjam.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That second power play was really bad though.

That looked identical to a Sunday morning roller hockey ''League'' that I used to occasionally participate in.

Those guys mostly looked like that, as most of them were usually fresh out of bed off a hangover from heavy drinking the night before.

The one with the no-goal was the only good one. How conclusive was the offsides? They reviewed it for no longer than 90 seconds before taking off the headset and reversing the call.

They spent more time reviewing the Lightning non-goal that went off Schneider and didn't appear to completely cross the line.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I agreed with the refs that it was offside. I just think the replay rule is idiotic where an offside 15 seconds before wipes out a goal. It's just more of the NHL overreacting to one play (that Duchene goal where he was a mile offside) and implementing a rule without thinking of the consequences. It's one thing if a player is offside on a breakaway or odd man rush that leads directly to a goal, but the one tonight was just ridiculous.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Leafs gonna be a cup contender before us, that's for sure.
Great. You can come to my headstone and tell me all about it when it happens. You can also leave some ugly Laff blue colored flowers too. That's if you even live long enough to see it happen. You'll probably be WAY up there if you do. ;)
I agreed with the refs that it was offside. I just think the replay rule is idiotic where an offside 15 seconds before wipes out a goal. It's just more of the NHL overreacting to one play (that Duchene goal where he was a mile offside) and implementing a rule without thinking of the consequences. It's one thing if a player is offside on a breakaway or odd man rush that leads directly to a goal, but the one tonight was just ridiculous.

I'm fine with the goalie interference coaches challenge, but the offsides one is getting to be ridiculous.

I remember there being a mainboard thread talking about what memorable or series deciding goals, wound up actually being offsides.

Last edited:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Plus the new rules pretty much eliminate the benefit of tanking with the top 3 picks ALL being drawn in a lottery and Vegas getting the same odds as the 3rd worst team and getting to draft 3rd in each subsequent round.

What if neither Vegas or the 3. worst team in the league doesn't win one of the lottery draws who's picking 6. and who 7.? :laugh:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Fiddler and Speers...awesome. I don't feel like Speers needs to be sent down. If it will make him better, but he has been pretty good. Wood on the other hand needs some fine tuning. Speed, Hussle, and takes shots but looks so sloppy doing it. That penalty looked less like a trip and more about not being able to stop. Now that the team is faster DSP looks out of place.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thing I worry about with Speers is that we keep him up for 15-20 games and then he hits a wall. Then we've burned a year off his ELC for basically nothing. Wood at least can go to Albany.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Great. You can come to my headstone and tell me all about it when it happens. You can also leave some ugly Laff blue colored flowers too. That's if you even live long enough to see it happen. You'll probably be WAY up there if you do. ;)

I feel like you're underestimating them. They've got the best coach in the league, lot of talent on the roster and a savvy GM. I can see them making the playoffs as soon as next season.

Fiddler and Speers...awesome. I don't feel like Speers needs to be sent down. If it will make him better, but he has been pretty good. Wood on the other hand needs some fine tuning. Speed, Hussle, and takes shots but looks so sloppy doing it. That penalty looked less like a trip and more about not being able to stop. Now that the team is faster DSP looks out of place.

100% agree

Speers has been terrific in his role, but I'd rather see him leading his OHL team in scoring than just being a grinder/PKiller in the NHL.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
some of y'all need to chill lol its 2 games. bet there was a good few playoff teams recently that lost their first two. hell Montreal had that year where they were straight garbage for the entire first quarter.

not to mention we have had years were we had seriously great starts and missed the playoffs

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'd scratch Wood and Speers and put Josefson and Boucher in next game. Leave the top 6 combos for now. Go with something like this for the bottom 6...

Boucher - Zacha - Bennett
Josefson - Fiddler - DSP

I'd give Kalinin a try on Zacha's left. He's good defensively and on the wall. He could make create room for Bennet and Zacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad