GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders - 7:30pm

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve never done a GDT in my life, but since last year I’ve been really tempted to do a DD/Ranger Doggo themed GDT. I’m not sure if it would be a good idea for the Rangers of all games. I also forgot about some of my ideas that I had potentially planned for it.

I’m afraid of it bringing bad vibes and never being able to do it again if we lose that game. I’ll be stuck thinking we’ll lose every time I do it.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Jack is something special. Bratt is his boy. If they aren't together on a line at even strength they can atleast play on the powerplay together. If Nico isn't out long hopefully Bratt can get some time on his line and grt him going.

I wanna see Mercer on the scoresheet next game. A few days off till Tuesday is good for the team. That Tuesday there is going to be 16 games lol. All 32 teams playing at once for the first time ever.

kiwidevil

I think we're going to see our ES fancy stats look worse than last year as more teams try and cheat to slow us down. So it will mean more PP time if the refs actually call it, which may mean our 5v5 dominance may end up being somewhat false statically wise. Will be interesting to see if it may even out if teams start to try and not take penalties.

We currently lead the league in PP opportunities per game.

Also, Jacks OT goal is just some MVP+ energy. This is the type of cockiness and toying with the league, like Kucherov has done over the years. Where he has the skill and the situational awareness to know he can do what he wants. The only thing that could potentially stop him was Sorokin at his level, but even he seemed lost.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think we're going to see our ES fancy stats look worse than last year as more teams try and cheat to slow us down. So it will mean more PP time if the refs actually call it, which may mean our 5v5 dominance may end up being somewhat false statically wise. Will be interesting to see if it may even out if teams start to try and not take penalties.

We currently lead the league in PP opportunities per game.

Also, Jacks OT goal is just some MVP+ energy. This is the type of cockiness and toying with the league, like Kucherov has done over the years. Where he has the skill and the situational awareness to know he can do what he wants. The only thing that could potentially stop him was Sorokin at his level, but even he seemed lost.
If we keep torching teams on the power play like this teams will get more disciplined against us and it will open more space at 5on5.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wouldn't it be known by now if that was the case? It's still an absolute mystery why exactly he's targeted all the time.
There probably is some truth to the fact he unnecessarily puts himself in harm’s way, like the quarterback who instead of sliding or going out of bounds stays upright taking the extra hit to get a 3rd and 7 instead of a 3rd and 9. Over a long season sometimes you just gotta live to fight another day, or at least pick your spots better.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That was such a huge W for the boys.

Would really like to agree but watching the game it felt like a movie I'd seen before - and one that doesn't bode well for the post-season.

Zero even-strength goals. A blown lead in the closing minutes. And a 3-on-3 game-winner which makes people feel happy (but masks the blemishes).

There is no 3-on-3 in the playoffs and the Devils remain a dumpster fire in their own end.

All the high-flying, dazzling perimeter hockey doesn't mean much when the game's get heavier.

How often does a team score FOUR power play goals (or even get four power plays in the playoffs)?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Would really like to agree but watching the game it felt like a movie I'd seen before - and one that doesn't bode well for the post-season.

Zero even-strength goals. A blown lead in the closing minutes. And a 3-on-3 game-winner which makes people feel happy (but masks the blemishes).

There is no 3-on-3 in the playoffs and the Devils remain a dumpster fire in their own end.

All the high-flying, dazzling perimeter hockey doesn't mean much when the game's get heavier.

How often does a team score FOUR power play goals (or even get four power plays in the playoffs)?

We outplayed them thoroughly at even-strength in the first two periods. The third period evened out a bit more, but that could easily be a result of losing Nico and having to shorten the bench.

Sorokin is other-worldly. We certainly need more out of our goaltenders in future games like this. Schmid did not perform well enough by any means. That game tying goal probably shouldn’t happen.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas

Are you always miserable, or do you really just not like the Devils?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's early yet but Jack's won even fewer faceoffs than he normally does. I was hoping that would improve a bit. Obviously everything else is going fantastic for him and it's not a huge concern.

Didn't realize objectivity is "miserable".

Where do I get my pom poms and Koolaid?

lol, the Devils dummied the heavy-hockey Islanders at ES for the first two periods. Yes, they have to clean up their own end, but that's much easier than doing what they were doing offensively.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Could you be more wrong about everything? The Devils were one of the best 5 on 5 teams all of last season and had a pedestrian power play. We also completely dominated the “heavy” Islanders at 5 on 5 without our 2C for much of the game and without our 3C for the whole game.

There are also more PPs in the playoffs. If anything, the fact that we may have a deadly PP now (and are drawing a ton) should bode very well in the post season.

The concern that you didn’t even mention (which was the only reason this wasn’t wrapped up after 2 periods) is the goaltending.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Exa
We outplayed them thoroughly at even-strength in the first two periods. The third period evened out a bit more, but that could easily be a result of losing Nico and having to shorten the bench.

Sorokin is other-worldly. We certainly need more out of our goaltenders in future games like this. Schmid did not perform well enough by any means. That game tying goal probably shouldn’t happen.
Exactly my take on the game although they played far better then the first 3 games for sure ... imo they need to work on their own end ..... and then there is the goaltender issue.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
both goalies had 1 good game and 1 game where they'd like a couple goals back. i think that's basically on trend with average goaltending -- they'll have a couple good games and also a few stinkers. there's like less than 5 goalies in this league that can consistently put up great performances. even a guy like Hellebuyck's highest save percentage in 3 games this year is .879. small sample sizes and all

If the Devils can start putting up consistent good 5v5 shot generation performances like they did in the first two periods against the Islanders I doubt that goaltending will hold this team back.

I think the 3rd period was kinda meh with Nico already out and then Lindy shortened the bench even more and that started to show. I think Holtz was playing well he could have played a couple more shifts in the 3rd to help some other guys get breathers

Camille the Eel

That our 5 on 5 play was so much better last night, that we outshot and out chanced them, was the most important thing. Besides the result. I think that evened up in the 3d because we were sitting back.

It would have been a frustrating game if we had lost in a shootout. A game we had lost because Schmid was awful (3 bad goals and the 4th also not great). Meanwhile Sorokin stole at least as many from us.

This board would have been an entirely different place last night had we not won. Jack’s game winner changed the narrative and even how we remember the game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Was it just me or was the Islanders fourth goal potentially winnable from a challenge?

Lee’s right stick is jammed underneath Schmid’s pad almost exactly where Horvat shot the puck. You could definitely make an argument that the reason the puck went under the pad is because Schmid couldn’t keep his pad on the ice due to Lee’s stick. At first, I thought it was Palat’s stick, but it looks like it was Lee’s.

I think Ruff may have not wanted to risk it and take the Devils chances in 3-on-3, but still feel like that goal should not have counted.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Was it just me or was the Islanders fourth goal potentially winnable from a challenge?

Lee’s right stick is jammed underneath Schmid’s pad almost exactly where Horvat shot the puck. You could definitely make an argument that the reason the puck went under the pad is because Schmid couldn’t keep his pad on the ice due to Lee’s stick. At first, I thought it was Palat’s stick, but it looks like it was Lee’s.

I think Ruff may have not wanted to risk it and take the Devils chances in 3-on-3, but still feel like that goal should not have counted.

Most likely this. Too much risk to take a penalty that late in the game and potentially come away with no points.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The Islanders feed on NHL Network talked about how the Devils bench was irate and screaming in the seconds even before the gl was scored. Something they said seemed to imply the coaches were some of the ones going off about it.

So I think you’re right, they probably wanted to challenge it, but it was too risky to do it heading into OT if we would have lost the challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad