New J18 players 2015-16

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

I don't know.. It's so tough to judge. They have a really good hockey area and they get good players from other clubs up there, and then they pay some of the Stockholm kids to go up there. I am more impressed with Skellefteå and Rögle producing talent for their top teams without chasing all the national team talent all the time.

Modo's junior program has been terrific again the last few years and looking at 00 for instance they will be again for quite some time with Sandin, Wernblom, Jägbring and others.

One worry I have with Frölunda and Modo getting so much elite talent every year now is that they will harm the development of those who are behind the superstars. That's not really Modo's problem since the best of every group will go far, but in the big picture it might be harmful for those other players and for Swedish hockey in general. I love when a big name goes to Västerås or Södertälje instead or stays at Timrå or Mora, that always seems to work really well.

GC

Jun 13, 2015
I don't know.. It's so tough to judge. They have a really good hockey area and they get good players from other clubs up there, and then they pay some of the Stockholm kids to go up there. I am more impressed with Skellefteå and Rögle producing talent for their top teams without chasing all the national team talent all the time.

Skellefteå recruits from the clubs in their vicinity already to their U15 team. This year they have picked Albin Eriksson from Bollnäs and Jonatan Berggren from Enköping, both born 2000. They have both moved to Skellefteå one year before hockeygymnasium. Nothing wrong with that but SKE maybe isn't that much more homegrown than any other team?

Koll Hockey

Mar 20, 2015
It will be interesting to see which high school Linus Skager choose! He has been and visited Frölunda, Modo, HV71 and Örebro what I've heard. It is well time to choose soon, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpgMsvKvoQ, good highlight reel of him!

Which more talent here in Sweden have not selected High School yet?

Last edited:

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Skellefteå recruits from the clubs in their vicinity already to their U15 team. This year they have picked Albin Eriksson from Bollnäs and Jonatan Berggren from Enköping, both born 2000. They have both moved to Skellefteå one year before hockeygymnasium. Nothing wrong with that but SKE maybe isn't that much more homegrown than any other team?
I think he's talking about players who are highly touted when they're younger. It's true that we recruit relatively few of those (Wallmark, Aho, Thilander and Engarås? No idea where the guys you mentioned stand.)
Most of the younger players on our senior squad were at best fringe national team players who never made it further than camp (or if they did they slowly developed there like Sundqvist, Sebastian Ohlsson or Linus Lindström.) And a lot of guys who were undrafted (Melker Karlsson, Emanuelsson, Alm) or passed over several times (Arvidsson, A. Lindholm) still ended up signing NHL-contracts.

Btw: Burström (178cm), Arvidsson (175cm), Lindholm (180cm), Aho (178cm), Öhman (178cm), Ohlsson (174cm), Edström (180cm) and among the more promising in J20: Wingerli (171cm), Lindström (180cm), Krekula (178cm), Söderlund (171cm) and Stenvall (174cm).
Skellefteå is deliberately developing the smallest Västerbotten-natives to get players who stay longer. ;)

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

I think he's talking about players who are highly touted when they're younger. It's true that we recruit relatively few of those (Wallmark, Aho, Thilander and Engarås? No idea where the guys you mentioned stand.)
Most of the younger players on our senior squad were at best fringe national team players who never made it further than camp (or if they did they slowly developed there like Sundqvist, Sebastian Ohlsson or Linus Lindström.) And a lot of guys who were undrafted (Melker Karlsson, Emanuelsson, Alm) or passed over several times (Arvidsson, A. Lindholm) still ended up signing NHL-contracts.

Btw: Burström (178cm), Arvidsson (175cm), Lindholm (180cm), Aho (178cm), Öhman (178cm), Ohlsson (174cm), Edström (180cm) and among the more promising in J20: Wingerli (171cm), Lindström (180cm), Krekula (178cm), Söderlund (171cm) and Stenvall (174cm).
Skellefteå is deliberately developing the smallest Västerbotten-natives to get players who stay longer. ;)

Yes, GC, I see that they do more of that now and they've had Thilander and others who are not from anywhere close and getting some Stockholm kids and so forth, but as SurMartin points out they very rarely just spend money or promise the world to get a bunch of national team guys, they develop great young men and great young players their own way, and they have been extremely succesful. Other teams with good junior programs just do whatever they can to get 5-10 fantastic young players and then whoever makes it, good, who cares about anyone else.

I see why clubs do this, but the players and their agents should think more about where they can get an opportunity to play and develop in the best way, probably on the first line on a less talented team most of the time rather than in a depth role with one of the top programs.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
À propos HG-intake and recruiting young players I think all SHL-clubs does whatever they can to get the best talent. Small differences between club strategies may of course occur, but at the end of the day I think there are 14 clubs who wants to recruit a U16 national team player who's not already on a SHL junior team.

Right now, it's not even HG-intake that decides where the best players go, a lot of them are signed even a year or more before the HG-intake. For example, among top 00 players from smaller clubs, Linus Skager must be one of few who hasn't already decided where to play during HG.

I'm not sure what's right or wrong in all of this. On the one hand, I would love if SHL clubs gave "their own" players more spots at their HG, but on the other hand a limitation for the SHL clubs in recruiting young players would give players who happens to be born in an SHL town a huge advantage in the long run over players born somewhere without an elite junior program.

kulenova seka

Croatian forward, Dominic Rene Canic (2000.) from Medvescak to Åker/Strängnäs J18.

kulenova seka

Is he any good?

I never watched him, but heard stories that he is good and almost every summer he spent in USA in various camps. Last season he played for Medvescak's U16 team in Slovenian league and despite his team was brutal (8 pts in 21 games) he scored 17 points in 18 games (14+3). He was underager last season in his category. It will be interesting to see how he develops in Sweden, won't be another Rendulic that is for sure, but having solid pro career in europe is reachable.

kulenova seka

Is he any good?

He has 23 points in 19 games for his U16 team. From what I understood those stats includes friendly games as well. I don't know where to find only official stats and I have no clue how good is that U16 league ? Any info is much appreciated.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010

GC

Jun 13, 2015
The Stockholm 2:2 league is rather poor being tier 3. All teams except Åker/Strängnäs and Vallentuna participates with their second team or a 01-team.

kulenova seka

The Stockholm 2:2 league is rather poor being tier 3. All teams except Åker/Strängnäs and Vallentuna participates with their second team or a 01-team.

Borna Rendulic also started with thrid tier team when he moved to Finland. Is there any chance for Canic to move to stronger team with this kind of stats ?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hello there! Can someone give me a scouting report on Latvian player Artjoms Lapiks playing IFK taby ,he seems to have decebt numbers.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Hello there! Can someone give me a scouting report on Latvian player Artjoms Lapiks playing IFK taby ,he seems to have decebt numbers.

High-energy, tenacious and skilled. Not top-level skill compared to Swedes but makes things happen, big and hard-nosed. Plays on a great Täby team and there are many others on that team that will catch your eye as well, so that has probably hurt his 'hype', rarely mentioned when you talk about great players in the Stockholm area.

I'd be excited about him if I was Latvian, got the potential to carve out a decent career if he's at the right place with the right mindset.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
High-energy, tenacious and skilled. Not top-level skill compared to Swedes but makes things happen, big and hard-nosed. Plays on a great Täby team and there are many others on that team that will catch your eye as well, so that has probably hurt his 'hype', rarely mentioned when you talk about great players in the Stockholm area.

I'd be excited about him if I was Latvian, got the potential to carve out a decent career if he's at the right place with the right mindset.

Speaking of Täby, what can you tell me about this guy? His numbers look great as a 01-born player.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Would you say he has draft potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad