New Head Coach search

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The Oilers games I watched under him were pretty terrible defensively. Goaltending was also pretty suspect but it's not like we have a good goalie here either.

Speaking of Woodcroft and thinking of Sullivan. My #1 fear with Sullivan is his ties with Fitz but also the fact that he had a generation player. Then you have Woodcroft who also had a generational player but couldn't win anything, makes me meh on him.
Honestly if you really break down any of the options there are reasons to be concerned. But none of the guys we are looking at have the "Travis Green stink of just being awful coaches" either.

Reactions: NJDevs26

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Reactions: Forge and My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
if i remember correctly, and i probably don’t, he ran a pretty tight defensive structure. And basically got f***ed by his goalie, whose name i can’t remember.
I don't remember the buzzword name of the structure, but the Oilers switched to playing a defensive system supposedly the same that Vegas had used to win the cup. It went very poorly and fans were clamoring for change AND Skinner was giving up goals left and right.

Honestly a pretty similar situation to Ruff. The team defense LOOKED bad but the numbers weren't a disaster (I think) and Skinner never bailed them out when there was a breakdown. Sound familiar?

Reactions: My3Sons

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I really don't know if this new, soft generation of Devils fans(on social media at least) is ready for Berube lol. He's not a GOAT but he does have a Cup and is someone the team can use when it comes to accountability, but the meltdowns when he benches someone for not finishing his check or something is gonna be lit.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I really don't know if this new, soft generation of Devils fans(on social media at least) is ready for Berube lol. He's not a GOAT but he does have a Cup and is someone the team can use when it comes to accountability, but the meltdowns when he benches someone for not finishing his check or something is gonna be lit.

Better question is this soft ass Devils team going to be able to handle him?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I dont mind that, if it's equal treatment, which Ruff did not have.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Better question is this soft ass Devils team going to be able to handle him?
Well that's my biggest reason for wanting Berube. We need a coach to put these players into their place if they're acting a fool which half our players do. He has a cup to his name and we need to learn how to be tougher & maybe a coach who can break them down mentally & rebuild them to make them mentally tough & it can bring them to greater heights. I don't know what the obsession with Keefe is. Dude has completely flopped every single playoffs he enters and he has amazing players. Berube over Keefe for sure. I know NJ is waiting on the Sullivan shoe to drop but if not him Berube it is.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not sure I get what’s so great about woodcroft either. Seems like a pretty meh option.

I mean, how many realistic good options are there that are available?

How many actual good coaches are in the league anyways? MAYBE 10?

This doesn't make him good.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Well that's my biggest reason for wanting Berube. We need a coach to put these players into their place if they're acting a fool which half our players do. He has a cup to his name and we need to learn how to be tougher & maybe a coach who can break them down mentally & rebuild them to make them mentally tough & it can bring them to greater heights. I don't know what the obsession with Keefe is. Dude has completely flopped every single playoffs he enters and he has amazing players. Berube over Keefe for sure. I know NJ is waiting on the Sullivan shoe to drop but if not him Berube it is.
I'm much more concerned with structure, systems, and player usage than I am about a coach's motivational style or demeanor.

Jon Cooper is about as calm and level headed a coach as you'll find, and he's the best coach in the league.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I'm much more concerned with structure, systems, and player usage than I am about a coach's motivational style or demeanor.

Jon Cooper is about as calm and level headed a coach as you'll find, and he's the best coach in the league.
I wish we could nab Cooper. He's my dream hire candidate. But if him or the Hurricanes coach are unavailable I'm fine with taking Berube.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
That game was right there for the taking and Carolina blew it last night. I just don’t see them winning 4 of 5 and a Game 7 at the Garden. Sadly, it looks like a matter of time for the Rangers to punch their ticket to the Conference Finals. Speaking of time….at this point, if I’m Fitzgerald I’d wait to see what happens with Rod. If that means Berube going somewhere else, oh well (not sold to begin with). I also think Fitz is waiting for Queefe to get pink slipped from Toronto as it can cause a domino effect that brings Sullivan to NJ.

I’m surprised we have heard nothing about Evason at least interviewing. My order of preference:

1- Rod
2- Sullivan
3- Evason
4- Woodcroft
5- Berube

McLellan hell no!! I wonder if there are any dark horse candidates that have not been leaked.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At this point even going 7 would be an accomplishment. If they get punted in five as I fear they might, then again I ask why are we so sure Brindy's this great coach when he can never even come close to getting over the hump with the analytic darlings?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
At this point even going 7 would be an accomplishment. If they get punted in five as I fear they might, then again I ask why are we so sure Brindy's this great coach when he can never even come close to getting over the hump with the analytic darlings?
RBA has done a LOT with not a whole lot. Canes don’t have any players you’d traditionally call superstars and yet they’re consistently one of the best teams in the regular season.

You simply don’t get that without a buy-in from everybody and a coach who can facilitate that. Canes’ biggest weakness in the playoffs is a lack of gamebreaking talent and the Devils have that in spades, which IMO is why RBA looks like a match made in heaven.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Said it before, RBA has to do a lot with that roster in Carolina. He doesn't have a bonafide game breaker on that roster since he just got Guentzel and he's a winger. Svech is a ghost whenever the playoffs come, Aho is great but he's in the mold of Zibanajead that he can completely ghost a series or be insane which is why it's tough to ever expect anything pre series really no matter how hopeful you are. At this point, I'm hoping they get swept or lose in 5 and Dundon has a panic attack and fires him and we jump all over it.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Sounds exactly like the kinda coach we want. Beat the softness out of the kids! :sarcasm:

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I don't remember the buzzword name of the structure, but the Oilers switched to playing a defensive system supposedly the same that Vegas had used to win the cup. It went very poorly and fans were clamoring for change AND Skinner was giving up goals left and right.

Honestly a pretty similar situation to Ruff. The team defense LOOKED bad but the numbers weren't a disaster (I think) and Skinner never bailed them out when there was a breakdown. Sound familiar?

Oilers issue earlier in the season was indeed chalked up to that - the switch to more of a zone concept. They struggled executing earlier in the year and were giving up TON's of grade A rush chances against as well as not getting saves. He also had a less than 100% McDavid which doesn't help.

Sure, you can ding him for not getting it turned around sooner - but they were still pretty solid even with the bad record, he just was a victim of the ticking clock in EDM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad